1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved Windows (XP) Shut Down Network Connections

Discussion in 'Networking (Hardware & Software)' started by troothteller, 2015/07/29.

1. 2015/07/29
    troothteller

troothteller Well-Known Member Thread Starter

That is the error message I received a moment ago as my XP shut down. Maybe it is an aspect of the problem I posted recently, my first one in about three years, where the moderator and I agreed that at some future time a clean XP install will be necessary. Maybe the RAS Async Adapter that will not uninstall or update is dormant because of some component in my new network hard drive. Anyway, just before my XP shut down, I was in My Computer, Documents and Settings. I happened to notice that a disc onto which I burned SP3 was still in my external DVD drive; so I took it out. In Safe Mode I reinstalled SP3 as an attempt to restore the RAS driver which has a yellow "!" Just following my removing the disc, the computer shut down. Why did this happen? As for this corrupt RAS Async Adapter, I wrote my ISP for technical support, Comcast, because their telephone support is unintelligible.

2. 2015/07/29
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

You've been running an XP comp (no MS Support) on the Internet and it's bugged and shutting down on it's own???
    You may need to wipe the drive completely and use your original CD to install XP again. Make sure you have all the XP updates you will require before you start. Neil.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2015/07/29
    troothteller

Do you mean, retiredlearner, that Microsoft will not make the updates available online if I do a clean install?

5. 2015/07/29
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Support for XP has ended and it would pay to ensure that you can get XP updates to make your comp run smoothly after a new install. Along with Drivers for your m/b etc.
    I suspect you have an infection in your XP OS and wiping and starting anew would be your answer if you wish to continue using XP.
    You could see the Malware & Virus Forum and find out if Broni can help. Neil.

6. 2015/07/30
    troothteller

retiredlearner, I have on both computers Baudu Antivirus, Private Firewall, Spyware Blaster, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and SuperAntiSpyware. I am satisfied with all these programs and will not make substitutions. However, I last ran Baidu on July 27, MBAM and SAS on July 28. Do you want the logs. Baidu found one instance. The other two ran clean.

7. 2015/07/30
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

1. Your computer may have a rootkit that is undetected by antivirus and antispyware apps.

2. You don't need a RAS Async Adapte unless you use Remote Access Connection Service. Just disable that service. And disable remote access client.

8. 2015/07/31
    troothteller

retiredlearner, so you are saying those programs did not scan for rootkits. Someone at Lazesoft, maker of a system repair disc, already suggested that I disabled RAS Async Adapter, which I did. I thought Remote Access Service had to do with dial-up. Anyway, I had to write my ISP, Comcast do to their bad telephone over-the-telephone support. I have something called eScan, which scans for rootkits. I will run that.

9. 2015/07/31
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

Description: The Remote Access Connection Manager service manages dial-up and VPN connections from your computer to the Internet or other remote networks. When you double-click a connection in Network Connections in Control Panel and then click Connect, the Remote Access Connection Manager service dials the connection (or sends a VPN connection request) and handles subsequent negotiations with the remote access server in order to set up the connection.

This service will stop when there are no further requests pending. Network Connections calls on this service to enumerate the set of connections and to display the status of each one. Therefore, except for the case in which there are no connections in Network Connections, the Remote Access Connection Manager service is always able to start.

If this service is stopped or disabled, the computer cannot make dial-up or VPN connections to a remote network, nor accept incoming connections. In addition, Network Connections will not display VPN or dial-up or connections. Any operating system components that depend on this service will fail to operate properly.

10. 2015/07/31
    troothteller

TonyT, was my disabling RAS Async Adapter a bad decision? I also got the impression that this driver was necessary for the older OS' (i.e. XP and 2000). Also, I thought wireless routers like my Linksys E1000 would make that driver unnecessary. Is is possible that this corrupted driver still works?

11. 2015/08/01
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

Unless you use a VPN connection, as in securely connect to the office from home, or a dial up modem, you don't need the RAS Async Adapter or its driver in any operating system.

12. 2015/08/01
    troothteller

TonyT, doesn't my wireless network, where I have a wireless router through which both computers connect, qualify as a VPN connection? The host computer is really the Windows 7.

13. 2015/08/02
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

How is the host comp Windows 7? Are you using Internet Connection Sharing? Just connect directly to the router with the XP comp. No need to use ICS.

14. 2015/08/02
    troothteller

Forgive my cryptic explanations; but my wireless adapter is Linksys E1000. When we set it up, the connection from my Windows 7 computer to my router with the Ethernet cable was only momentary. At some point in the setup, under technical support, I removed the Ethernet cable. My XP is on the same network which connects with the same set of credentials. There is no other computer on this network either here or somewhere else like an office. If I do not need ICS, then I have not figured out how to delete it. In fact, in my Device Manager for XP, besides the two yellow "!" entries, there are entries that are greyed out. Could these, like ICS, be unnecessary? Since the connection is wireless, is this ICS kicking in?

15. 2015/08/02
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

1. windows xp connects by wifi, correct or not?

2. windows 7 comp connects how?

explain...

16. 2015/08/02
    troothteller

I'll try to explain this again a different way. E1000 wireless router connects to cable modem with Ethernet cable. Windows 7 connects to E1000 wirelessly, that is, there is no Ethernet cable between the computer and router. That is the way Linksys technical support assisted me in connecting. There was only a physical connection briefly during the setup. Once connected, we removed the cable. The Windows 7 connects wirelessly. I hope that clarifies things. Additionally, in Control Panel, Windows tries to start Internet Connection Sharing when I try to bring up Windows Firewall settings, which it it unable to do. How can I view these settings without ICS, which does not seem to work?

Last edited: 2015/08/02
  17. 2015/08/03
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

OK, so you have a windows 7 comp that connects by wifi. Do you also have a XP comp which uses wifi?

18. 2015/08/03
    troothteller

I don't know how much clearer I have to be. All my equipment huddles around my Windows 7. My XP is farther away, a different room in the apartment. That connects wirelessly through an internal network adapter.

19. 2015/08/04
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

Thanks for clarifying.

If you have no trouble connecting or using the network then all is normal.

"Closing network connections" is a normal message at shutdown or logoff in XP. It does not always appear on the screen because the majority of times there are no programs using the connection at shutdown or logoff.

However, if a program that uses the network is still loaded (running) at shutdown or logoff, there will be a delay at shutdown or logoff and the "Closing network connections" may appear on the screen.

Sometimes, a Web browser or other network program can be closed by clicking the X atop its window. The window will close, but if look in Task Manager the program is still running. It may have failed to close out completely from memory or swap/page file. In such cases, that is when you will see the "Closing network connections" message if you then shutdown or logoff.

More often than not, when this occurs, it is caused by some malware that is using a hidden connection. For example, you may see several instances of iexplore.exe in Task Manager even if don't use Internet Explorer. Many malware use IE from the command line to do its dirty work on a network.

The RAS Async Adapter (working or not working) has nothing at all to do with the message "Closing network connections" at shutdown or logoff.

-----------------

You should not have a Host computer on your network. All computers should connect directly to the router, either by wire or by wifi. IF YOU HAVE A WIFI ROUTER.

-----------------

Comcast will not be able to assist in this. Their support ends at the modem. They don't t-shoot your computers, and if they do, it's limited to the usual "reset connections" and simple tasks.

-----------------

You can safely disable services that use the RAS adapter in Control Panel > Admin Tools > Services.

Stop & disable the following services:

Remote Access Auto Connection Manager
    Remote Access Connection Manager
    Windows Firewall / Internet Connection Sharing

20. 2015/08/04
    troothteller

TonyT, thanks for clarifying because I thought of my Windows 7 as the host because Linksys began connecting the E1000 there. When I purchased the router, they began with a physical connection, the same as my previous HP wireless all-in-one, and before concluding the installation they had me disconnect the Ethernet cable, after which we stayed connected. Then we connected the XP through its adapter.

21. 2015/08/04
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

Yes, it's standard procedure to do a wifi router setup while connected by wire. This is because one will be changing the SSID, wifi password, security type, etc, and if do that when connected by wifi you will get disconnected. matter of fact, when I setup wifi routers for my clients I don't even connect the router to the ISP feed until all the configuration is complete..