1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved Having issues with Windows 10 upgrade

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by dave205, 2015/07/28.

1. 2015/07/28
    dave205

dave205 Active Member Thread Starter

Hi all.

This morning I booted up my computer, and when I turned on my browser instead of it going to my default search page (Google), it went to the Bing home page. Thinking something was wrong, I checked a few things and just rebooted my computer, and as it was coming back on, a prompt came up saying something like "Please keep your computer on until this is done." Then below that it said "Installing windows update 1 of 1..."

This stayed like this for a good half an hour. I assumed it had something to do with the Windows 10 update coming tomorrow since it was taking longer than a normal update would. Well, as luck would have it, the power in my house surged and it caused my computer to turn off before this task was done. When I re started it, it booted back up normally with no issues and when I went to check windows update it showed no new updates, But, when I checked my installation history, at the top of the list it said:

Name: "Upgrade to Windows 10 Home" Status: failed then showed the date and time the installation was attempted.

I tried rebooting my computer in the hopes it would continue the upgrade where it left off, but it just booted up normally with no update prompt. The error message code that it shows is
    : 80246010 when I click on the installation history listing for it.

Obviously this WAS for the Windows 10 upgrade or at least it was probably downloading the files in preparation for the upgrade tomorrow, and now I can't get the upgrade to come back and finish downloading/installing. Any help you can give in trying to restore this upgrade would be appreciated. I don't want a power surge ruining my getting the new version of windows. I have had it reserved for 2 months now. Windows update is still showing I have it reserved.

The OS I am using is Windows 8.1 64bit On a Lenovo H500s

Thanks in advance for any help with this.

2. 2015/07/28
    lj50 Lifetime Subscription

lj50 SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

lj50,

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2015/07/28
    dave205

Thanks for the response. I tried method 1 and 2 and it didn't fix any problem unfortunately. But here's something weird, a little while ago, I rebooted my computer and out of nowhere, that update prompt came up again that I mentioned. It ran through until my computer booted back up again normally. I checked windows update and went to the installation history, but it once again said Upgrade to Window 10 Home failed. I don't know what is going on. Are they downloading the software piece by piece until it's all ready top go to be fully installed? I know that tomorrow is the official launch date when all if not most will get the upgrade, so this can't be the actual upgrade of the OS. I have Googled questions about this all day and haven't seen any posts or articles mentioning that Microsoft was downloading anything to computers today.

Is anyone else here experiencing this? If so, then hopefully it's just some minor glitches that are happening as they download the files. if no one else has any other suggestions if this is indeed a major problem, then I guess I will just have to wait and see what happens tomorrow and hope for the best and hope the New OS installs without issue.

5. 2015/07/28
    lj50 Lifetime Subscription

lj50 SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

As far as I know it's a full upgrade no piece by piece install. It is more than likely going to take quite a while to download and install. Especially on 07-29-2015 there will a lot of machines being upgraded. Microsoft doesn't expect to encounter any upgrade problems but it's technology so any thing could happen. We will all just have to wait and see how it turns out.

lj50,
  6. 2015/07/28
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Hi dave205, I wouldn't get alarmed too much as it is highly unlikely we will receive any further W10 updates on the Insider Preview.
    My latest W10 update has no Preview Build number showing on the SysTray.
    I have an idea it may be build #10240 but it looks like the finished article and the only Updates have been for Defender.
    MS have stated that there will be updates to prepare your comp for the W10 install, but you will be asked for a date and time to suit you. Neil.

7. 2015/07/28
    dave205

Thanks Neil. As I said, hopefully when the time comes to install it there will be no issues for me considering what happened earlier this morning. If I do get the prompt to install tomorrow and all goes well (or not), I'll post my results here.

8. 2015/07/28
    fdamp

fdamp Well-Known Member

I'd like an expert opinion on W-10. I recently transitioned, after 11 years running XP, to Win 8.1. Based on many inputs, I chose to go with the Win 7 look-alike. I'm still stumbling around in the dark on many issues.

I'm not sure I want to make another operating system change, unless it's a lot less bloody-minded than 8.1. It's almost as though Microsoft went out of their way to make it as confusing as possible.

If Win 10 is as big as turkey as 8.1, I'm switching to a Macintosh. My wife's iPad is a lot easier to use than 8.1! Be careful, MS - I've been a faithful user since Win 3.0, but if you screw this one up I'm gone!

BTW, I've been working with computers since 1966, when my UK employer rented time on a Technical College computer for engineering tasks. We programmed in the ALGOL language. After joining Boeing in 1968, I eventually finished up in their Flight Crew Training organisation doing simulation software in Singer-Link and Honeywell assembly language, then with scientific real-time FORTRAN.

I started using Microsoft when Boeing switched to Win 3.0 for writing documents. Initially, there was one desk-top for every 4 engineers and we had to work out how to share it!

Now, I'm sitting in our living room with a Win 8.1 laptop (actually on my lap!) doing all kinds of clever stuff!!

9. 2015/07/28
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Hi Frank, I take it you're using a proprietary Start Menu W7 Mode. W10 has in the Preview build (latest) a Left or Right click option on the Start button which is pretty straight forward to understand.
    A Right click will give you a black&white Menu listing mainly the Control Panel Features plus a few others.
    A Left click will give you the Tiles GUI plus selection for Apps and all the Features you can tap into in colour and icons.
    I've just seen a write up suggesting that W10 is being installed on some Insiders comps early to relieve possible load on servers supplying the upgrade.;)
    W10 is still going to take some learning and from what I've seen in the Previews, it is quite trouble free in that the only extra I had to do was install my HP Printer CD for a finalize of the software. Everything else worked as smooth as. Neil.

10. 2015/07/29
    dave205

I'm happy to report that I am typing this message on my computer with Windows 10 successfully installed. Guess it was just downloading the files yesterday as I thought. So far I like it. Having fun using Cortana. LOL Thanks again for the help.

11. 2015/07/30
    Evan Omo

Evan Omo Computer Support Technician Staff

Hi dave205, Welcome to Windowsbbs! :)

Is everything working ok now with your system? Would you consider this thread resolved?

12. 2015/07/30
    dave205

Yes everything is working fine. So yes it's resolved. Thanks.

After a little searching I found where I can mark this thread resolved. Sorry about that I didn't know I had the power to do that.

13. 2015/07/30
    Evan Omo

Evan Omo Computer Support Technician Staff

Ok, great. :)