1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved Car chargers for phones bad?

Discussion in 'Mobile Devices' started by psaulm119, 2015/07/25.

1. 2015/07/25
    psaulm119 Lifetime Subscription

psaulm119 Geek Member Thread Starter

I just got a Samsung Galaxy Core Prime smartphone and have been reading up on how to keep battery life going as long as possible. I have seen more than one writeup on avoiding car chargers if at all possible. One link is: http://chris.pirillo.com/are-mobile-car-chargers-good-for-phone-batteries/

Is this good advice?

Last edited: 2015/07/25
  2. 2015/07/25
    MrBill

MrBill SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Wonder who is paying him to say that? I have a 4 or 5 year old phone with the original battery in it. I use my charger for the car probably as much as the house charger.

psaulm119 likes this.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2015/07/25
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

That is rubbish. The battery in the vehicle is charged by an alternator and regulated circuitry. The USB connectors and cigar lighter plugs are supplied with 12-14.5volts usually and is regulated in the plug circuitry to 5v and should do no harm to cell phone charging.
    Like MrBill I use mine quite frequently when in the car.
    Your wall chargers for cell phones supply 5v @ 1 to 2amp and the battery is 3.7v. The circuitry in your cell phone battery controls the charge cycle.
    If there was a problem in the car voltage supplied to the vehicles computer/s ie. excessively high voltage - damage to the computer (fried circuits) would occur and low voltage would cause a shutdown - not enough current to work worth.
    Do you think that there would be a problem with Tablets and in car video players using the USB power points in motor vehicles? Neil.

psaulm119 likes this.
  5. 2015/07/26
    psaulm119 Lifetime Subscription

psaulm119 Geek Member Thread Starter

Thanks for clarifying that.