1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved Not getting Skype incoming call pop up

Discussion in 'Other PC Software' started by wjburl, 2015/07/19.

1. 2015/07/19
    wjburl

wjburl Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I am using windows 8.1 with the Skype desktop app on both of my laptop and desktop computers. I not getting the pop up for incoming call on the desktop, it does work on the laptop. I've uninstalled and reinstalled the Skype desktop app on the desktop. I don't see the missed calls in the log until I quit and restart Skype. I've also rebooted the computer. This problem has started within the last few days. I'm also having a problem making call to my contacts. The contact doesn't hear my call ringing, but does if I make a call from the laptop. The laptop isn't always available fro the family to use. I am keeping updates current on both the OS and Skype on the desktop. I am still running ver. 6.x on the laptop, but the laptop's OS is up to date. I can make calls with the IE plugin, but that is more complicated than some family members can handle.

Last edited: 2015/07/19
  2. 2015/07/20
    Arie

Arie Administrator Administrator Staff

Make sure you have the latest video driver installed.

Arie,

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2015/07/20
    wjburl

I checked for updates in the properties of the display adapters in the Device manager and at the NVIDIA site and both said my driver is up to date.

5. 2015/07/20
    Arie

Arie Administrator Administrator Staff

That's all the ideas I have.

Arie,
  6. 2015/07/20
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

7. 2015/07/21
    wjburl

retiredlearner, thanks. I did post the problem on an MS Community page, but it wasn't a Skype specific page. I just had a recommendation from that group to create a new account to see if it works with that account. I haven't had a chance to test that yet. I'll post it at the site you recommended. My system has an AsrockZ87Pro motherboard with a 3 .5 ghz core i7 processor, 16 MB RAM, 500 GB Samsung SSD and six spinning drives. The display adapter is an NVIDIA GeForce GT 610. The build is three years old. I'm not a gamer, but I try to future proof my builds. Although that mobo has onboard video, I used the NVIDIA card from another build.

8. 2015/07/21
    MrBill

MrBill SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Go to User CP near the top left and put this in as your System Specs. Then it will show on every post. Won't have to keep asking you what they are.

9. 2015/07/21
    wjburl

MrBill, I'v entered my system specs for my primary desktop. I have another desktop, an HTPC and a laptop.

10. 2015/07/25
    wjburl

An entry in the Skype forum suggests that I do a full uninstall rather than the uninstall from the control panel. The site at http://bit.ly/1KqjvII lists the steps that include a registry edit. Is there an easier way to do a full uninstall?

11. 2015/07/25
    MrBill

Not that I know of.

12. 2015/07/25
    wjburl

I did the full in-install and re-install. I'm waiting for someone to test with. I didn't count, but the suggestion that there might be as many as 50 entries in the registry was greatly underestimated. That item alone took me over an hour. I did not save my old Skype folder and all my contacts were still listed.

13. 2015/07/26
    MrBill

There's no need to back up your contact list. With Skype, your contacts are stored centrally on our servers. You can access them anywhere, as long as you sign in with the same Skype Name and password. However, if you wish you can still back up your contact list:

14. 2015/07/26
    wjburl

MrBill, I had a Skype incoming call this morning and it worked!!!. I've been leaving my laptop running as a backup. I didn't do a restore of the Skype folder with my old data because I had remembered that when I installed Skype on a new computer, everything showed up when I logged on to Skype. I was also concerned that something in that folder may have contributed to the original problem. Of course, I still don't know what caused the problem to begin with, but all seems to be working now. I was also concerned that some delete attempts of Skype references in the registry gave an error and I could delete them. Now it's onward to Windows 10. I'm an Beta teat insider, but I've used an install in a virtual machine until after one of the updates I couldn't get it to boot. I gave up after that. I'll first do a Win 10 install on one of my other computers to see how that works out.

15. 2015/07/26
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

If you want to get W10 update to start on another PC, you'll need to find Preview #10162 as the latest #10240 has no Preview # in the SysTray. Neil.

16. 2015/07/27
    Admin.

Admin. Administrator Administrator Staff

Please mark your thread as 'Resolved'.