1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

[Are .NET & Java needed?]

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by trimis, 2015/07/08.

1. 2015/07/08
    trimis

trimis Inactive Thread Starter

I am trying to find out if I need Java & .Net Framework on my PC. Google results are pretty much tied (half says they are essential, other half claims both are waste of space). Been trying to find a site that lists apps dependent on one or both, but no luck, so I'm unsure how to decide. Anyone here not have these two, and how difficult is life without .NET & Java?

2. 2015/07/08
    Evan Omo

Evan Omo Computer Support Technician Staff

Hi trimis. After dealing with hundreds of Windows computers for clients I can tell you from experience that you can remove Java from your machine without any ill effects. Java is one of the programs that I always remove from computers if my clients aren't using any program that requires it. There are very few programs or websites that require Java to be installed nowadays so chances are you can remove Java safely.

For .NET Framework, a good amount of programs require that application to be installed including video drivers as well as certain key applications like Microsoft Office. With .NET Framework, you should definitely keep it on your system.

Take a look at these articles for more information:

Java is Insecure and Awful, It’s Time to Disable It, and Here’s How.

What Is the .NET Framework, and Why Do I Need It?

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2015/07/08
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

I go along with Evans advice. You can do without Java but a lot of programs require .NET to operate. Neil.

5. 2015/07/08
    James Martin

James Martin Geek Member

Java 7 isn't supported anymore (I think), and I don't believe Java 8 is compatible with XP (at least I had issues installing it).

6. 2015/07/08
    MrBill

MrBill SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

I uninstalled Java on ALL my machines about 3 or more years ago. Some of them were XP, Vista, Win 7 and Win 8 and have never had a problem with anything that I need to do or anyplace that I want to go.

.Net Framework is needed liked mentioned in an earlier post, so leave it alone.

7. 2015/07/09
    rsinfo

rsinfo SuperGeek Alumni

I am with all the boarders here. Say NO to Java.

8. 2015/07/09
    Hotaru

Hotaru Well-Known Member

I'm one who can't go without Java. I have several applications that use it in Windows. I need Java even more in Linux.

Oracle Java 7 is indeed no longer supported. XP isn't supported either, so if you can deal with the bug and security implications go ahead and use them together.

Early versions of Oracle Java 8 did not install properly in XP32. Now it will install, although you will get warnings along the way. If someone has to use Java 8 in XP32, I would suggest:
    1. Download an offline install copy.
    2. Test your Java-based applications.
    3. If the tests don't go well, try an earlier Java 8 or consider Java 7.
    4. Keep your downloaded copy. If a future Java 8 blows things up, you can uninstall it and return to your old version easily.

9. 2015/07/09
    trimis

trimis Inactive Thread Starter

I had checked that none of my essential programs required .NET before posting:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/822129

...are you sure Microsoft Office 2003 requires it? I had not thought to check the Nvidia drivers. I need to find out more about their requirements. Any ideas? Thanks for the links. I'm sold on ditching Java. Setting out the welcome mat for .NET will take more convincing though.

10. 2015/07/09
    Evan Omo

Evan Omo Computer Support Technician Staff

Office 2003 does not require it but Office 2013 does need it. Some programs require the .NET Framework to function. Thus, you can only uninstall the .NET Framework if you know you do not have/use any programs that require the .NET Framework. If you're unsure about this, then it's best to leave it installed.

If you don't have .NET Framework installed and down the road a 3rd party program requires it, then you will be prompted to install the .NET Framework version that the program requires. Personally I'd keep it since you never know what program that you install may require it but if .NET Framework bugs you that much then feel free to remove it. However, you should backup any important data before removing all .NET Framework applications from your system.

Rather than looking through the requirements for every program that I install to see if I need .NET Framework or not its easier to just leave it installed. Its not running in the background anyway but its your computer so only you can make that decision. ;)

lj50 likes this.
  11. 2015/07/22
    Claw

Claw Inactive

Sorry to jump in here but if you are using an antivirus such as Bitdefender Free or Avira Free, they both install .Net Framework on their installation. So it's needed by both those applications.

12. 2015/09/04
    James Martin

James Martin Geek Member

Bump.

I have an OFX converter that relies on Java, so I guess I have no choice but to keep Java installed.