1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved New install of Windows 7 problems

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by GRAHAM WESTON, 2015/05/30.

1. 2015/05/30
    GRAHAM WESTON

GRAHAM WESTON Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I have a friends Dell 1545 laptop, and his HD failed. I've fitted a replacement HD, and reinstalled all the Dell software he had for the unit. All Microsoft updates have been installed. On boot, the onscreen keyboard keeps coming up. I have shut it down in the menu that comes up (ctrl,alt,delete) , but it will return every time on reboot. I also have to reinstall the IDT High Defination Audio Codec on every reboot. Has anybody come across these problems before.

Many thanks

2. 2015/05/30
    Evan Omo

Evan Omo Computer Support Technician Staff

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2015/05/30
    GRAHAM WESTON

Evan,
    I'll try that keyboard link you mentioned. As for the audio drivers, when we boot windows, we get a red X on the speaker symbol. When we ask windows to look at this problem it says drivers not installed. we reinstall the drivers and sound works. Shut down the computer and reboot, back to the same problem as listed above, no audio drivers installed. They simply disappear with a reboot.

5. 2015/05/31
    Evan Omo

Uninstall the IDT HD Audio drivers, reboot the computer and then install a fresh copy of the drivers from here, IDT Audio Driver.

6. 2015/06/01
    GRAHAM WESTON

Evan, the keyboard trick worked, many thanks, but the audio one didn't. I uninstalled the driver, deleted the folder at c/dell/xxxx, and downloaded and installed the new drivers. Audio worked fine, but as soon as I rebooted the computer, drivers had gone again. I tried this a number of time, same result evey time. As soon as I reboot, drivers disappear and have to be reinstalled.

7. 2015/06/01
    Evan Omo

Can you post a picture of the Device Manager window including the properties of the IDT Audio device when its not working so I can see what is going on?

8. 2015/06/11
    GRAHAM WESTON

Evan, sorry for delay, been away with work. I want to add 4 screenshots of the Device manager, but i cannot find the picture and album link in the User CP. Where is it hiding.

9. 2015/06/11
    Evan Omo

From the FAQ:

10. 2015/06/12
    GRAHAM WESTON

Win 7 audio problem

Thanks Evan, see how we go now. I have tried the audio drivers you suggested, plus a couple of others from the dell site, but with the same results. upon reboot, drivers have to be reinstalled to get sound. requested screenshots below

Attached Files:

11. 2015/06/12
    Evan Omo

12. 2015/06/15
    GRAHAM WESTON

Evan,
    I have done as requested, we only found an Upper filter, which was deleted. I uninstalled the audio drivers, downloaded a new copy of the drivers you had supplied the link to, and audio was fine. Upon reboot, back to the same problem, no audio. Checked for filters upper and lower, none evident. I deleted the drivers and rebooted, upon reboot windows reinstalled the drivers and audio was again good. when rebooted again, no audio. I have spoken to the owner, he wants to update the unit in about a month , so has requested me not to bother to fix the audio problem. Many thanks for your help, greatly appreciated.

13. 2015/06/15
    Evan Omo

Ok, thanks for letting me know. :)