1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Hundreds of thousands of files in Windows Temp directory!

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Gazolba, 2015/05/23.

1. 2015/05/23
    Gazolba

Gazolba Inactive Thread Starter

I did research this and found references to VIPRE. However, I have no idea what VIPRE is or if I have it. It is not in my installed programs list. I do use MalwareBytes, Super Anti-Spyware and Ad-Aware.

The files are named SBS_STDRL_YYMMDD then a numeric suffix. They dated back to mid-January and are still appearing every day (I have hundreds so far today). It took me 2-days to delete the back log (nearly half a million files), then to empty the recycle bin a few thousand files at a time.

Does anyone know what is writing these files and how I can prevent these files from appearing?
    I mostly use Firefox, but I have to use IE for work and occasionally use Chrome as well.

Last edited: 2015/05/23
  2. 2015/05/23
    Evan Omo

Evan Omo Computer Support Technician Staff

Hi Gazolba, Welcome to Windowsbbs! :)

Take a look at the suggestion here, How to delete SBS_STDRL files left over inside the Windows Temp folder (Home).

You probably do have VIPRE installed if you are having thousands of those temporary files being created.

If you wish to remove VIPRE manually then follow these instructions, How to manually remove VIPRE Antivirus or VIPRE Internet Security.

Please download Autoruns. After you download the zipped folder on your desktop, right click the zipped folder and click Extract All. After the folder has been extracted open the regular folder. Run the autoruns.exe program by right clicking on it and selecting Run as administrator. When you open the program click the Logon Tab and then post a screenshot of all the startup entries in your next reply.

Also please enter your System Details. It helps us in answering your questions.

Note: A common error is to forget to show your System Details in your profile:

Make sure to do the above when entering your System Details, thanks.

Gazolba likes this.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2015/05/24
    Gazolba

Autoruns Logon output

Thanks for the response and suggestions. I have the autoruns output but I don't see any way here to upload a file. I cannot find any of the folders or files mentioned in the 'manual unload' instructions except one GFI file ( "C:\Program Files (x86)\Ad-Aware Antivirus\GFI.Tools.Run64.exe "). I just deleted 795 temp files that were added today.

5. 2015/05/24
    Evan Omo

Upload the Autoruns screenshot to http://imgur.com/ and post a link to the image in your next reply.

6. 2015/05/24
    Gazolba

Autoruns link

http://imgur.com/0cWn5Bm

I deleted all the temp files before I logged off last night. First thing after logging on this morning, I checked again. There were a bunch of new files dated yesterday about the time I logged off and dated today about the time I logged on. So something is definitely being run at logoff and logon.

7. 2015/05/24
    Evan Omo

In Autoruns remove the following items:

All the items highlighted in yellow
    iTunesHelper
    Realtek HD Audio Manager
    Adobe ARM
    Apple Push
    Dell DataSafe Online
    Dell System Registration
    Roxio Burn Launcher
    QuickTime Task
    RoxMMTrayApp
    Catalyst Control Center
    Kodak Gallery Share
    Windows Live Messenger
    Open Office
    Windows Mail (Both Entries)

Then when those items have been removed, reboot the computer and let me know if those temporary files are still being created.

Download MiniToolBox and save it to your desktop. Run the program and when the program opens check the following boxes:

Flush DNS
    Reset FF proxy Settings
    Reset IE Proxy Settings
    Report IE Proxy Settings
    Report FF Proxy Settings
    List content of Hosts
    List IP configuration
    List Winsock Entries
    List last 10 Event Viewer log
    List Installed Programs
    List Users, Partitions and Memory size
    List Devices (problems only)

Click the Go button and post the MiniToolBox log in your next reply.

8. 2015/05/27
    Gazolba

You will have to explain to me how I 'remove items from Autoruns' since I have no idea. Also what do you mean by 'all the items highlighted in yellow'? I'm not seeing the items you have listed highlighted in yellow.

9. 2015/05/28
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Hi Gazolba, I think if you look at the Autoruns list you will see all the boxes have been checked/ticked (on the LEFT side) .
    The usual procedure is to UNCHECK the box of the program you wish to keep.
    From what Evan has said to do - I would very carefully go down the list and just leave the check/tick in boxes NOT mentioned by Evan. There is usually a menu to Delete all checked boxes.
    I,m trying to help - not take over what Evan is doing. Neil.
    From the Autoruns instructions:
    To disable an auto-start entry uncheck its check box. To delete an auto-start configuration entry use the Delete menu item or toolbar button.

Last edited: 2015/05/28
  10. 2015/05/28
    Evan Omo

To answer your question, in your screenshot there are 5 entries highlighted in a yellow color that can be removed in addition to removing the items that I told you to remove in my previous post.

To remove an item in Autoruns, select the item by left clicking on an entry. Then at the top of the Logon Tab you will see a red X button become available. Click that button to remove the entry. You will be asked are you sure you want to delete this item, so click on Yes and that entry will be removed.

Only remove the entries that I told you to remove. Then when you have completed the instructions, post a fresh Autoruns screenshot and the MiniToolBox log in your next reply.

11. 2015/06/14
    Gazolba

Sorry for delay in responding. My internet connection became too slow to get on the internet. Than I forgot my password. I did remove those items from Autoruns. I also had to reload the telecommuting software I use for my job. Now I am no longer getting those files stored in the Temp directory. Unfortunately since I changed so many things, I cannot say which particular thing fixed my issue. Still I am glad to be rid of those files. Thanks for the assistance you gave me. Do you have any solution to Flashplayer slowing down my internet access? I have virtually given up using Firefox because almost every page kicks of the Flash-player which slows everything down incredibly. I cancel it in task manager but it restarts right away. Now I use Chrome a lot which does not use Flashplayer but it's such a nuisance that I cannot access my Firefox bookmarks from Chrome and vice versa.

12. 2015/06/14
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Hi Gazolba, Nice to know you've got rid of your unwanted Files. Please take the time fill in your System Details as Evan requested earlier.
    We may be able to determine whether your comp is slow due to Hardware or a Fresh install of Mozilla Firefox will fix your slow comp.
    I have Flashplayer installed and it does not slow my comp down and I'm using Mozilla FF and TB on this drive now. Neil.

13. 2015/06/15
    Evan Omo

Does Flash Player work ok if you use Internet Explorer?

Lets make sure your software is up to date.

Please download SecurityCheck and save it to your desktop. Right click on SecurityCheck.exe and select Run as administrator to run the program. Follow the onscreen instructions. Post the results of the checkup text file in your next reply.

14. 2015/06/15
    elcajongunsfan Lifetime Subscriber

elcajongunsfan Well-Known Member

I hate flash player. It does slow down every computer I have, so I keep it disabled in firefox. If I need to watch a youtube then I activate it then. Basically you can't do this with Internet Explorer so I would suggest using FF