1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved repair windows 7 laptop

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by sallnjackn, 2015/05/22.

1. 2015/05/22
    sallnjackn

sallnjackn Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Windows 7 laptop upgraded from windows vista. I am trying to do a repair to get it working again. I need drivers in order to install from the upgrade disk I used to start the computer. Where can I find the drivers?:confused:

Sallie

2. 2015/05/22
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

What type of drivers?

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2015/05/22
    sallnjackn

Setup drivers I believe.

5. 2015/05/22
    sallnjackn

This is an image of the screen I am stuck at. I clicked on load drivers because I don't want to go back to Vista and it's the only operating system listed. I backed up drive C in 2011. It's not a system image. Do you think I could use that?

It's my understanding that an upgrade disk does not come with drivers. It depends on the original operating system for them.

Thanks for your help! Sallie

Attached Files:

6. 2015/05/23
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Hi Sallie, Just to clarify - the laptop originally had Vista OS?
    You're trying to Upgrade to W7 with an upgrade disc?
    Your HD in the laptop will have Vista m/b drivers. I think you will need to seek drivers for W7 from the laptop manufacturer.
    I can't read your screen shot clearly but imagine that the message is to do with SATA/RAID drivers which is what commonly is asked for. Neil.

sallnjackn likes this.
  7. 2015/05/23
    Evan Omo

Evan Omo Computer Support Technician Staff

Hi Sallie. If you had Windows 7 installed then in that screenshot it should have detected Windows 7 as the installed OS and not Windows Vista.

When you attempt to boot up the computer what happens? Do you get an error message? Have you tried pressing F8 on startup to select Safe Mode or Last Known Good Configuration?

sallnjackn likes this.
  8. 2015/05/23
    Arie

Arie Administrator Administrator Staff

Your image shows you are performing a Vista recovery install.

Arie,
    sallnjackn likes this.
  9. 2015/05/23
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

sallnjackn likes this.
  10. 2015/05/23
    sallnjackn

No, I have not tried F8 yet at start up. I will do that. I really want to do a repair if possible. I don't want to lose my documents and pictures.
    Some background on my problem: Purchased HP Vista laptop Feb 2008. Received a free Windows 7 upgrade disk from Microsoft for hosting a windows 7 party on the release date. Upgraded to 7 in October 2009. Last Tuesday when I turned on my computer I got a black screen that said “no operating system found”. I had a system repair disk I made in January 2011. I have used that to try to repair my drive. I have also used my Windows 7 upgrade disk. I get to the system recovery option screen which gives me 2 options. The large rectangle in the picture I sent says, “Use recovery tools that can help fix problems starting windows. If your operating system isn’t listed, click load drivers and then install drivers for your hard disks.” The only operating system listed is windows vista, partition size, 140254 MB, location (C)OS. The other option which I did not choose is: “Restore your computer using a system image that you created earlier.” I chose “load drivers”. The smaller rectangle in the picture said “Insert the installation media and click OK to select the driver.” At that point I put the windows upgrade CD in the drive and scrolled to driver files but there were too many choices. I vaguely remembered having trouble with no drivers when I upgraded in 2009. I went back to my notes and HP had given me a link to Intel motherboard drivers. The link no longer works. I had some trouble last year and nvidea gave me a driver I may try. I have it on a flash drive. It’s an exe file. Would I have to run it first?
    I appreciate the help you give me and thank you very much! Sallie

11. 2015/05/23
    sallnjackn

Upgrading from Vista to 7 would wipe out all my files Tony. I prefer to try other options before doing that.

12. 2015/05/24
    sallnjackn

When I press F8 at start up I get operating system not found. I also pressed f10. I saw a screen that showed all error=0x0 and said the operating system version is incompatible with start up repair. I think it may be a lost cause. I also put the C drive in a usb enclosure and nothing showed up. If I allow upgrading to Vista I go back to 2008 and an endless windows updates and I doubt if that would work to keep my pictures and documents. Thanks for your time. Sallie

13. 2015/05/24
    retiredlearner

Hi Sallie, I think I would purchase a new HDD or SSD and install to laptop. Then install W7 and get it fully operational with all Updates etc.
    With an appropriate adapter you can connect your old HDD (Vista) and use Microsofts Transfer software to get Files and Photos you want. Neil.

sallnjackn likes this.
  14. 2015/05/24
    sallnjackn

Hi Neil,
    I did put my C drive from the laptop into a USB enclosure and came up with zero. Tonight I put the second drive from the laptop into the inclosure and everything is there. Something really bad happened to the first drive I guess. I will take your advice and get a new drive for the one that died. I have a windows 8 CD I haven't used yet. I might be able to use that. Thanks so much for your help and wish me luck. Sallie

15. 2015/05/25
    retiredlearner

What W8 DVD is the OS?
    You will find that if you have an Upgrade DVD that Arie has written a subject on how to install an Upgrade W8 to a clean HDD/SSD.
    Microsofts Transfer software worked a treat when I built a new comp for the wife last year. I transferred all her XP Files and Photos to the new W8/8.1 without any hassles.
    If you install W8 - go to WU and seek the 8.1 Update as it has a Start Menu added. Ask if you need any further help. Cheers Neil.

sallnjackn likes this.
  16. 2015/05/25
    Evan Omo

Evan Omo Computer Support Technician Staff

Do you need assistance with figuring out what hard drive you want to buy as a replacement for the laptop?

Do you want to perform a clean install of Windows 7 or go with Windows 8.1?

sallnjackn likes this.
  17. 2015/05/25
    lj50 Lifetime Subscription

lj50 SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Do you have the Product Number(P/N example: WF552AV). How many GB HDD did the machine have installed when you purchased it.

18. 2015/05/26
    sallnjackn

2 hard drives. WD Scorpio P/N 437958-001, 160GB each. Do you think I should go with a solid state drive this time? Do they run cooler? I did connect my external drive to a computer yesterday and it is an image. Now that I know I have an image of 7 I can use Windows 8 Pro afterwards which is an upgrade disk. I would upgrade to 8.1 right away too. We got my husband a Windows 8 computer a couple of years ago and will upgrade that to Windows 10 this summer. I will print out the instructions Arie gave me from Microsoft on how to execute the installation. I am including a picture of the frame the drive sits in and the adapter used to connect it to the computer. in another mail I can send a picture of one of my hard drives. Oops, I can't seem to find how I sent a picture before. Sallie

19. 2015/05/26
    sallnjackn

Pardon me, it was Tony who gave me the Microsoft instructions on how to upgrade. Thanks Tony!

20. 2015/05/26
    sallnjackn

I hope the attachment is here. Sallie

Attached Files:

21. 2015/05/26
    lj50 Lifetime Subscription

lj50 SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

My apologies I need the HP Laptop P/N to check the highest GB HDD you can safely install without causing overheating problems.

sallnjackn likes this.