1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

System Restore Comments

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by James Martin, 2015/05/12.

1. 2015/05/12
    James Martin

James Martin Geek Member Thread Starter

Just wondering,

How many of you have problems with Windows system restore function?

Truthfully, I have more problems with system restore (even in safe mode) in Windows 7 than I ever did with XP.

However, of late, I found a third avenue to system restore in Windows 7, and that is via the *repair* option. So far, every time I have used system restore under the repair option (brought up by tapping F8 at bootup) it has worked flawlessly.

Comments?

2. 2015/05/12
    Evan Omo

Evan Omo Computer Support Technician Staff

Hi James. I haven't had many issues with System Restore but then again I create System Images every couple of months so if I want to restore my machine to an earlier point in time its easier to restore my drive from a System Image.

If System Restore fails then I would assume its probably because of running too many programs on the system that are interfering with the restoration process.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2015/05/12
    rsinfo

rsinfo SuperGeek Alumni

Can't seem to recall when I had any problem with system restore. Could be that I don't rely on it only. I image my system on regular basis so its not a problem.

Athlonite likes this.
  5. 2015/05/12
    James Martin

Wouldn't restoring a backup image take a few hours?

I finally installed a 1TB drive of late, so I plan to create images with Acronis (offered free for Seagate drives) and store them on the new drive, but I may opt to reinstall 7 before that happens.

Unfortunately, I lost access to my recovery partition after I partitioned C drive two years ago, so any reinstall will have to be done via optical drive - or I could use Rufus and boot from a USB drive. I used Rufus on a Samsung laptop last week, and it saved much time since most laptop optical drives only run at 24x speed.

6. 2015/05/12
    rsinfo

rsinfo SuperGeek Alumni

Restoring an image takes only about 15-20 minutes [from LAN]. Much better security than just relying on system restore.

7. 2015/05/12
    MrBill

MrBill SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

I have never used SR on any of my computers or my friends. It can cause more problems than it is worth.

8. 2015/05/13
    Christer

Christer Geek Member Staff

I tried System Destroy a few times with no good result. Restore points could not be used and so on. Next, before reinstalling the system, I went shopping for Ghost 2003 and have never touched SD since that time. Ghost 2003 has worked on Win XP and Win 7 and never failed.

9. 2015/05/13
    rsinfo

rsinfo SuperGeek Alumni

Good one :D

10. 2015/05/13
    Christer

Christer Geek Member Staff

The damned thing survived but in a pretty bad condition ... :rolleyes: ... !

11. 2015/05/18
    James Martin

For practice, I removed the original 500gb drive and inserted an older 160gb drive on my machine (both are Seagate drives). I booted off the free, Acronis-for-Seagate-software CD and restored a .tib backup from almost two years ago, but Windows 7 would not load due to a missing Bootmgr error.

I did much research on this issue, but nothing seemed to work, so I opted to boot off the Dell Data Safe recovery disks I made right after installing the computer in June of 2013. The DVDs (3 of them) created three partitions (Recovery, OEM, and OS) on the old drive, and brought the computer back to its *out of box* condition.

Problem was, I kept getting the bootmgr missing error, so I tried the recovery option again. This time, Windows 7 booted, but the dang recovery software installed Windows on my new 1tb drive, and I lost all of my Acronis images. I managed to delete all data off of the 1tb drive via Computer Management, but I had to use diskpart.exe to delete the OEM partition.

I decided to do one more recovery operation, but this time, I unhooked the SATA data cable from the 1tb drive. Thinking this latest recovery went OK, I let Windows 7 install 130+ security updates, but I had trouble afterwards removing some fluff software, so I tried to do a system restore, but none were ever made! Looking into the problem, I saw that system restore was turned off on C drive, and I could not turn it on.

Many frustrating hours had passed by, so I removed the old 160gb drive, and reinserted the original 500gb drive. I made another Acronis image today and stored it on the new 1 tb drive. Looking back, it sure was a good thing that I *copied* most of my important data from the 500gb drive to the new drive, instead of moving it, or I would have lost that too.

I really don't know what happened to cause so many problems. It could have been operator error, or maybe the older drive was in worse shape than I thought (it grinded so much at times, it sounded like a geiger counter). In spite of using a smaller dive to practice on, there was ample room to accommodate files and the OS from the recovery media/images.

I remember using free Acronis for Western Digital drives about 5 years ago on an infected XP machine, and the process was flawless. Anyone here have much experience with Dell Data Safe or free Acronis for Seagate drives?

Last edited: 2015/05/18
  12. 2015/05/18
    James Martin

Maybe I should just use the Windows 7 installation disk next time. :D

rsinfo likes this.
  13. 2015/07/05
    Dude111

Dude111 Well-Known Member

I think we all do...Im on Win98se and I have restore problems sometimes also.... You try and restore a CAB and it says "RESTORE OPERATION FAILED" .. I dont understand why.... I have seen it happening personally on XP also.....

Why does it happen????? --- What does the computer do to the cabs??

Its very strange!!

Last edited: 2015/07/05