1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved Does a PC charge a CMOS

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by FuzMic, 2015/04/19.

1. 2015/04/19
    FuzMic

FuzMic Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Hi friends

Just want to know if the pc have a voltage at the cmos battery holder to charge it.

I think the CR2032 is firstly not chargeable. So if the voltage of it is run down then it is dead for replacement.

:)

2. 2015/04/20
    Christer

Christer Geek Member Staff

It's correct that the CR2032 is not rechargable.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2015/04/20
    FuzMic

Thanks for the comfirmation Christer

5. 2015/04/20
    Bill

Bill SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

True. But all these batteries do nothing most of the time. They only are used when the power supply is unplugged from the wall, or when the PSU's master power switch (if it has one) is set to off. When the PSU is plugged in (and optional switch on back is set to on), the PSU is supplying the ATX required +5Vsb standby voltage across several points on the motherboard to keep various circuits alive, including the CMOS memory module and the RTC (real-time clock).

Only when all standby voltages are removed is the CMOS battery supplying voltage to the CMOS memory module and RTC.

So unless your computer sits unplugged from the wall for very long periods at a time, these batteries can be expected to last for at least 3 years, and often up to 7, 8 or even 10 years before draining beyond usefulness.

Still, Man is not perfect and some have failed early. I have even had a brand new battery DOA.

Fortunately, they are inexpensive. Just remember to unplug the computer from the wall and touch bare metal of the case interior BEFORE reaching in to remove the old or insert the new battery. And never touch the new battery with your bare fingers as skin oils promote corrosion and attract dust. I put a clean sock over my hand. Also, these Lithium Ion batteries should be recycled and not tossed in the trash as they contain hazardous materials to the environment.

Bill,
  6. 2015/04/22
    FuzMic

Bill thanks for the kind explanation, it help to clear up the unplugging