1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Major streaming problems with 8.1

Discussion in 'Legacy Windows' started by rikki, 2015/04/19.

1. 2015/04/19
    rikki

rikki Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I bought a mini-computer (Pipo X7) to use for streaming but am having major problems. It starts out okay but after a short time the video becomes choppy and then gets progressively worse. It starts briefly freezing every few frames and the longer it goes the longer the freezes last. After a half-hour or so they can last for many seconds, even a half-minute or so. Eventually the entire computer slows to a crawl and it can take many minutes before there is even any response to a mouse click.

I have been tearing my hair out over this and am no closer to a solution but I have seen many complaints similar to mine on other forums and they all seem to have to do with Windows 8.1. Since I still cannot determine if my problem is hardware-related or Windows-related, my question is if anyone here can shed more light on this. Is this kind of problem likely to be due to the OS? Is there anything I can do to improve it?

I have already done the obvious things like disabling all automatic updates and I have also tried streaming the same video under identical conditions with my desktop running Windows 7, and that works perfectly so I don’t think it can be related to my Internet connection. Any insights into this would be greatly appreciated.

2. 2015/04/19
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Hi rikki, I'm not familiar with Pipo x7 but doing a 'Google' I see it has W8.1 as an OS with 'Bing'. Does it have an Anti-virus in use or how is it protected from 'infection'? Neil.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2015/04/19
    rikki

Hi Neil, it comes with Defender and Windows firewall. I have disabled Defender monitoring protection and automatic updates and do it all manually instead.

5. 2015/04/19
    retiredlearner

Do you not suspect some interference from outside sources?
    Anything being streamed from the Internet will need an AV actively protecting it's content. Neil.

6. 2015/04/20
    rikki

I am trying to diagnose a problem Neil. Defender is known for sometimes degrading Internet traffic when it shouldn't. Temporarily disabling it is one of way of eliminating it as a culprit.

7. 2015/04/20
    retiredlearner

Have you tried updating the Drivers for the Pipo? Neil.

8. 2015/04/20
    rikki

There are no specific updates available for it that I can find. The computer itself says it is up to date. There are more recent driver files on the website, but they are in Chinese and I have not been able to figure out how to download them. However, I did install all the Windows updates I could find, including drivers, and disabled some non-essential services and the Pipo appears to be working better now. I managed to stream a film last night for the first time without any problems. I am not marking this as resolved yet because I need to make sure the problem actually is solved, but if it still seems okay in a few days I will consider it fixed.

9. 2015/04/24
    rikki

Since installing all Windows updates and disabling everything I can find that might degrade performance by running in the background, streaming seems to be working normally. I now consider this problem solved.