1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Corrupt BCD after Sleep?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by JobsWorth, 2015/04/15.

1. 2015/04/15
    JobsWorth

JobsWorth Inactive Thread Starter

A machine running Win7 Ultimate Sp1 at the time (multi-boot Wins and Linux accessed through bcd) was left unattended for a while and it went to Sleep. A desktop machine would not normally be allowed to do this but had not disabled it. Nevetherless it had recovered on previous occasions but this time it would not wake-up after a key-press or mouse wiggle so pressed the flashing power button but still no life except for the bios list of options (F2 for setup, F11 for boot menu etc) but no bios post nor - crucially the bcd boot menu. Just loops round every 10sec or so.

Nothing will persuade it back to normality. Have so far tried:-

* Removing power lead and cmos battery overnight but still no joy.

* Boot (from F2 boot menu) live usb linux session and run ms-sys --mbr7 /dev/sda which reported success. Also running file browser (and GParted) shows everything apparently intact and accessible.

* Run Win7 installer, selecting Repair but that reports no problems either!

* Have also tried both links in last post at http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...eep-mode/3d64d19c-2e46-4703-a8f3-c968a58d7bd7.
    Removing usb per https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/934540/en-us still says everything ok!
    Following https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/927392 and running bootrec.exe with /RebuildBcd and /ScanOs both report "success" yet say 0 windows o/s found! I'm still not convinced that it checks the hdd?

My assessment is that, although sleep saves to ram it must set a flag and/or a small piece of code/pointer in the mbr but, since ram is now empty, it doesn't find anything so just gets stuck in the loop described above. However, googling finds numerous references but all seem to assume that clearing ram will suffice - and being volatile removing power would achieve that anyway. There is no reference to anything actually being on hdd. Alternatively perhaps /boot/BCD is modified (incorrectly) for sleep?

Other possible solutions are drastic but short of a low-level format and complete reinstall of everything yet surely there is a non-destruction means of resetting the offending bits/bytes?

In the meantime "playing" with Win7 Repair options in conjunction with the info in above links, does sometimes give the illusion of "progress" but also anomalies. Startup Repair still finds no problems (even with usb removed). Sometimes it "discovers" Win7 and Win8.1 but not WinXP. From Command Prompt > bootrec.exe /ScanOs discovers none. Move to c: and dir reveals it to be the WinXP partition but looking at all the other partitions, both Win7 nor Win8.1 have "disappeared ".

At least after rename /boot/BCD, I am actually reassured by a Bsod! "Repairing" Win7 now gets me a BCD menu offering Win7 (recovered) and Win8.1 (recovered) - though not XP - but although they each start promisingly, both soon bomb back to the usual situation.

[AsRock 960GC-GS FX mobo, 1Tb WD hdd, 2Gb dd3 ram]

2. 2015/05/04
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2015/05/04
    JobsWorth

Thanks for the reply.rl. Yes, I had tried all that with possible exception of removing/renaming bcd.

In the end I gave up and have had to rebuild the whole hdd!

What is so annoying is that this was all a result of Win7 not recovering from sleep but research indicates that it is not a good idea to allow sleep on desktop pc ...

5. 2015/05/04
    retiredlearner

I haven't experienced any problems like that myself. Anytime the comp has stayed on for a long period, it has come to life with mouse movement or space bar on keyboard. Neil.

6. 2015/05/05
    JobsWorth

I agree that is how it should behave (and, hitherto, had)!

However, there are conflicting "features" on this machine. The mobo leaves the usb ports permanently live - ie even when powered down - and I can find no bios settings or jumpers to disable that. Meanwhile Win8.1, has a setting (as I subsequently discovered) buried deep down, that reduces/removes power to usb ports when idle - even when they are not! This behaviour spills over to other o/s including Win7.

With hindsight, connecting a ps/2 kb/m can bail me out - provided power to that port hasn't been affected!

This also begs the question - if Win8 can manipulate the usb power why can't I (through the bios)? I may seek an answer to that on an Asrock forum as I am also concerned about the potential affect on the usb dongles...

Last edited: 2015/05/05
  7. 2015/05/05
    retiredlearner

Be worth checking for an updated BIOS. The Asrock Forum may be your saviour. Neil.