1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Slow DVD Drives

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by joe645, 2015/04/14.

1. 2015/04/14
    joe645

joe645 Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Shouldn't CD and DVD drives be immediately available once a disk is loaded? That is to say after looking at My Computer shouldn't the disk information we immediately viewable in the designated drive? Both my DVD drives are SATA and seem to take forever to show what is loaded.

2. 2015/04/15
    Bill

Bill SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

I have never seen it be immediately available. I have a pretty quick Intel i7 system with 16Gb of RAM and I just inserted my TurboTax DVD in my optical drive and it took 14 seconds after the tray closed for the disk to spin up and display TurboTax in my list of drives.

But even then, the contents of the DVD have not been read by the OS so it takes several more seconds after clicking to "open" the DVD before I can see the folders and files on it.

So I don't know what you mean by "forever" but when comparing to a hard drive, it can seem that way. The type and capability of the disk may matter, as well as the content too. And how you have Windows to handle CDs and DVDs may matter. That is, if you have auto-play enabled or not.

Bill,

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2015/04/15
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

I'm with Bill on this one - same time factor when disc inserted to when message on upper right of screen appears asking what I want to do with it.
    I'm using W8.1 and a pretty quick system too. Neil.

5. 2015/04/16
    hawk22

hawk22 Geek Member

Same here 20 - 25 seconds for the tracks of a recorded Blu ray to show up on Winamp.

6. 2015/04/17
    joe645

20-30 seconds I could deal with but this ASUS BD-ROM takes nearly 5 minutes to load and then sometimes the indicator light just keeps blinking and nothing happens on the screen. Twice I have tried to eject and had to go to the computer to get that done only to end up with Blue Memory Dump screens and shutdown. Not good.

7. 2015/04/17
    lj50 Lifetime Subscription

lj50 SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Did you check the Device Manager to see if there are any error codes?

lj50,
  8. 2015/04/18
    Bill

I am a bit confused about your hardware setup. In your first post, you implied you have two DVD drives in this computer. Now you are suggesting there is one Blu-ray drive.

Either way, 5 minutes is way to long, but we do need to know what we are dealing with.

So are there any errors in Device Manager and have you scanned for malware?

Bill,
  9. 2015/04/18
    joe645

Correct, one is a ASUS BD-ROM the other ASUS CD/DVD. In either case and too many times when I go to use either drive, I get conflicts. I will put a DVD in either drive and then try to bring up My Computer to watch for the information to appear. Often, I will get either Windows Explorer (not responding) or My Computer (not responding) and usually, I will have to run Task Mgr and end the process or restart the computer. Of course, then it wants to go through a bunch of chk disk functions which eventually show no porblems with the hard drive. I can't believe these drives were not just plug n play but I seem to feel I am creating some conflicts which tie up the computer. There has to be some way I can check to see if I am getting some resources conflicts. I have no errors in Device Mgr. and always scan for Malware. UPDATE: While watching Resource Monitor, I put in a playable DVD in the CD-ROM. The Resource Monitor stopped and the computer froze. Had to do a restart. There has to be some resource conflict going on.

Last edited: 2015/04/18
  10. 2015/04/18
    Bill

They are plug n play for basic operation - otherwise you would not be able to install Windows from them, or boot to a bootable disk.

If me, I would uninstall the drivers for both drives AND any specific software you installed for those drives. Then "Shut down" the computer and unplug from the wall. Open the case and unplug the data cables from both drives. Then connect power and boot the computer and go directly into the BIOS setup menu. You should not see the optical drives. Then Save and Exit to boot normally and make sure the computer boots okay.

Then shutdown again, unplug from the wall, and connect just one of the drives. Then connect power and boot. New hardware should be detected and basic Windows drivers loaded. See if that one drive works normally when you insert a disk.

Bill,
  11. 2015/04/28
    Athlonite

Athlonite Inactive

Is it like that with every disc you put in the BD-rom drive or just the one if it's just he one it sounds like it's having problems reading the disc if it's all discs inserted into the drive then it's a faulty drive although it could just be dust on the lasers lens I'd try giving it a clean first if that doesn't fix it then the drive itself is faulty