1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Don't mess with 12 year olds!

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by retiredlearner, 2015/03/21.

1. 2015/03/21
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member Thread Starter

Police on Friday arrested a 12-year-old Colorado girl accused of trying to kill her mother twice by poisoning her with bleach for taking away her iPhone, authorities said.

Boulder County Sheriff's Commander Heidi Prentup said in a statement that the mother drank the caustic fluid on one of the two attempts, which both happened within a week this month.

On March 2, the girl poured bleach into a breakfast smoothie that she had prepared for her mother, Prentup said.

"Mom noticed an odor of bleach in the drink and thought her daughter had cleaned the glass prior to making the beverage and did not rinse all the bleach out," the police statement said.

The woman, who was not named by the authorities, was treated at a local hospital and released.

Four days later, the girl allegedly poured bleach into a water carafe her mother kept in her bedroom. When the woman smelt bleach, she became suspicious and confronted her daughter.

"This is when she learned her daughter had developed the plan to kill her for taking away her iPhone," police said.

Prentup said the mother reported the girl to police, and that investigators then gathered enough evidence to take her into custody.

The girl was taken to a juvenile detention facility on Friday where is being held pending the filing of charges.

(Reporting by Keith Coffman; Editing by Daniel Wallis and Sandra Maler
    How do you correct/control kids these days? :eek: Neil.

2. 2015/03/21
    rsinfo

rsinfo SuperGeek Alumni

Good question. Have been grappling with the same !

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2015/03/22
    lj50 Lifetime Subscription

lj50 SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

I don't think time outs work at all.

lj50,
  5. 2015/03/22
    BOBBO

BOBBO Geek Member

They worked just fine with my 4 grandkids. The secret is for parents to start very early, be firm, and be consistent. Work on issues such as the difference between indoor and outdoor behavior, and public behavior and at-home behavior.

6. 2015/03/22
    retiredlearner

But poisoning your mother because she removed your iPhone????
    Where did the love go? That 12 year old has a real problem. Talk about tossing your toys out of the cot.
    Thank goodness our 2 turned out OK and our grandsons too. Neil.

7. 2015/03/23

I guess time outs work in California but not New York.

lj50,
  8. 2015/03/23
    Malnutrition

Malnutrition Active Member

The problem today is, when you give a kid a whipping you can get felony charges. If the police today saw some of the whipping I got from my grandmother and her switches....

I am grateful that I did have discipline, as for some of these kids today.... Prison awaits them, sadly..... :(

James Martin likes this.
  9. 2015/03/23
    retiredlearner

This happened over the last weekend:http://www.stuff.co.nz/the-press/news/67483617/Rowers-feared-missing-out-on-rep-teams
    It started as a prank/dare and was filmed as kids do today. The College banned the two rowers from taking part in the Rowing Competitions for breaking behaviour protocol agreed before leaving their home town.
    The parents went to court and the Judge over-ruled the College. So what do the 16/17 year olds learn from this? Playup and mum and dad will sort it out.
    I'm getting too old to worry about this lack of discipline and repercussions. Neil.

10. 2015/03/23

What my mother did to me. If they had child abuse laws way back then she would have gotten the death penalty. A friend of mine was a teacher in the NYC public school system. The bell rang to begin class he asked the students to please sit down and stop talking. One student complained to his mother> She went and complained to the school board. He was brought before the board. The school board told him he couldn't speak to the students like that. He received an official reprimand on his record.

lj50,
    James Martin and silverwolf107 like this.
  11. 2015/03/23
    cbumpkin

cbumpkin Well-Known Member

First learn the difference between desipline and abuse. then do what the bible says "spare the rod and spoil the child "

cbumpkin

James Martin likes this.
  12. 2015/03/24
    retiredlearner

The problem is that society has outlawed disciplines and the judiciary has gone soft and repercussions are jokes. Victims are the ones who suffer and criminals are treated like heroes.
    The law and Accident Compensation as we have in NZ are mind blowing. An example: A criminal detained in jail tries to escape and falls from a roof and suffers broken limbs. He gets free hospital treatment and gets awarded damages because the area he fell from is deemed an unsafe work place!!! Crazy.
    The Politically Correct Brigade have gone too far in my opinion and totally disregard the fact that if you choose to be a criminal - you abdicate all civic rights and amenities. You must pay for your crimes - not be paid for injuries sustained while committing felonies. Neil.

rsinfo likes this.
  13. 2015/03/25
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

If a 12 year old kid resorts to such drastic measures over an iPhone, then that kid has had problems long before she had a phone.

The problem is NOT the kid. The problem is the parent(s) who raised the kid. I call it 12 years of bad parenting, plain and simple.

I will bet a day's pay that the kid was previously under the care of a psychiatrist, psychologist or counselor of sorts. 99% of all these kids involved in such crimes and even school shootings had previous "treatment" by professionals who put them on psychotropic drugs which skrewed them up more.

In all fairness, kids don't come with a manual when you bring 'em back from the hospital. All too often the parents seek help from professionals who have no clue about how to handle kids. The parents get duped and believe these so-called-authorities and their psycho-mumbo-jumbo, the kids get put on medication and the family goes downhill from there.

I raised 3 kids successfully. I had no "parent training ". My parents were not perfect, they made mistakes. So I used what they did that worked on me and my siblings, tried not to repeat their mistakes. And I observed friends who had kids that were doing well. I figured that if their kids are doing well then the parents must be doing something right. So I observed those parents and used what worked for them. It's not rocket science. And I also observed parents whose kids were not doing well, and I ignored their advices.

Parents, whose own parents did a lousy job of raising them, have a much harder time of it. They have no experience to draw upon other than painful memories. But these folks are usually eager to learn how to do things right.

The dangerous parents are those who are afraid to question authority, who believe that the doctor is always right, the teacher is always right, the policeman is always right, etc. These folks are fixed in their thinking, tend to "run on automatic" and don't make their own decisions. And their kids suffer for it.

James Martin likes this.
  14. 2015/03/25
    BOBBO

BOBBO Geek Member

Excellent commentary, TonyT. I would add just one paragraph at the end: Another dangerous kind of parents is the kind that abhors the idea of being an authority. They want their children to like them, to be pals, even soulmates. They think that being authoritative would be arrogant of them, and that imposing discipline would cause the child to dislike them and would -- horrors! -- harm the kid's self-esteem. And their kids suffer for that.

James Martin likes this.
  15. 2015/03/25
    retiredlearner

I agree Tony. This would be the formula to follow.
    My wife to be and I attended a series of Marriage Guidance evenings before we got hitched. This reinforced some of the things I had observed/learned in my family upbringing.
    I still found it most interesting to learn how other couples on this course were so naive about life in general. I thank my father for always telling us how life was in reality and keeping us informed of difficulties he/we were facing as a family.
    I still firmly believe that couples should attend Marriage Guidance courses because they cover all facets of living together and starting a family, budgeting, what basic needs are, medical and sickness requirements etc. Neil.

16. 2015/03/31
    silverwolf107

silverwolf107 Well-Known Member

I have seen some kids that clearly had no discipline in the past. They are bold and think nothing of flipping people off out the car window, shouting obscenities at innocent passersby out the same car windows and just generally making a nuisance of themselves.

I grew up in the 80s and 90s and while I certainly pulled my share of stunts and was quite rebellious in my teens, I always knew that if I went too far, I would get it from my mother. Today's kids seem to be lacking that element of fear in their relationship with their parents.

The law has created a power imbalance, where parents are still held liable for what their kids do, but are effectively prohibited from preventing misbehavior with anything harsher than a "time out." Spank or slap your kid and you're likely to get CPS called on you by some idiot with a phone and too much time on their hands.

Perhaps governments have removed parental authority intentionally. I think it's no accident that after private prisons (such as Corrections Corporation) arose in the 1980s, that spanking became virtually anathema. After all, these private prisons are for-profit corporations and must have felons filling their cells in order to make money. What better way to guarantee a steady supply of felons than by A.) outlawing so many things it's almost impossible not to commit a crime and B.) turning out a generation of young adults with no impulse control, a huge sense of entitlement and narcissism fueled by social media and selfies?

Am I being paranoid? Maybe. But that's just how it seems to me.

James Martin likes this.
  17. 2015/03/31
    James Martin

James Martin Geek Member

Agreed.

Even now, I know of a youth that was put on such drugs, and he eventually had to be put into a special school for unruly students after calling in a bomb threat.

Drilling down to the core of the issue finds that this kid's father did not show much interest in his son like he should have, and the kid's mother refused to use any sort of old-fashioned correction in the early years. My source of info comes from the grandparents.

18. 2015/04/01
    silverwolf107

Not to mention that a lot of younger adults can't take any criticism or correction without feeling personally attacked because they were overly praised as children.

James Martin likes this.
  19. 2015/04/01
    retiredlearner

Update on rowers "Prank Ride ".
    The latest news release today states that the parents will not proceed with a court case against the College.

Real reason - the boys failed to be selected for further competitive events.
    The cost to the parents to get the High Court injunction - about $20,000.00.
    One way to spend your money and that doesn't include costs for transport and accommodation etc. Neil.

20. 2015/05/03
    JSS3rd Lifetime Subscription

JSS3rd Geek Member

When I was growing up in the 40s, discipline was administered by my Dad with a razor strop and by my Mom with a yardstick. Today they'd both be in jail.

Because I considered that to be cruel and excessive, I swore I'd never strike my kids with anything but the flat of my hand. They got plenty of spankings (kids WILL be kids, especially when it's two boys with a girl in the middle), and I think that all three turned out OK.

Re the original post ... does anyone remember the mid-50s book/play/movie The Bad Seed, about an 8-year-old sociopathic murderess?

21. 2015/05/03
    silverwolf107

Wasn't Maculy Kulkin (sp?) in that?

When I grew up in the 80s and early 90s, the strop was largely consigned to the annals of time. However, there was still this element of fear that prevented us from acting out too much. This is utterly gone these days.