1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved Windows 7 screen rotation

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by btbbob, 2015/03/03.

1. 2015/03/03
    btbbob

btbbob Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Last night, was working with my wife to print, fold, and place in envelopes flyers for her upcoming class reunion. I was printing and folding the flyers, on top of the laptop keyboard, when suddenly the entire screen rotated, except for the background display, all the icons and the tool bar that I keep at the bottom of the screen. I tried rebooting, and it came back the same way, but for some unknown reason, the display all of a sudden repaired itself. Any idea what happened? I was doing the folding on the right side of the keyboard when this happened, so was over the area of the Enter key and to the right of it over the number pad. I don't know if this is a hidden feature, as I did a search using help, but can see it might be a desired feature if multiple screens were being used.

2. 2015/03/04
    Evan Omo

Evan Omo Computer Support Technician Staff

Hi btbbob, Welcome to Windowsbbs! :)

I know that with certain laptops you can hit Ctrl, Alt, and the arrow keys to rotate the display. What model of laptop do you have?

btbbob likes this.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2015/03/04
    MrBill

MrBill SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Ctrl/Alt at the same time and hold them down then use the arrow keys to Rotate the screen. Been like that since at least back in the Win 95 or 98 days. Good trick to play on somebody. Desktop or Laptop it doesn't matter.

Evan beat me to it. Same thing though.

Last edited: 2015/03/04
    btbbob likes this.
  5. 2015/03/04
    btbbob

btbbob Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Thank you. Never had a need for this function, but now have one more bit of info logged into my brain. I am using a Dell lap top.

6. 2015/03/04
    JSS3rd Lifetime Subscription

JSS3rd Geek Member

FWIW, Ctrl+Alt+arrow keys doesn't work on either my desktop, running 64-bit Win7 Pro SP1, or my IBM T43 laptop, running 32-bit Win7 HP SP1 (not that I need the capability. :))

7. 2015/03/04
    lj50 Lifetime Subscription

lj50 SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

I have two HP Notebooks and it works on both.

lj50,
  8. 2015/03/04
    Evan Omo

Jim, that key combination doesn't work with all computers. I believe that key combination only works with Intel video chips.

If you have an Nvidia or AMD video card then that hot key combination doesn't do anything.

9. 2015/03/04
    JSS3rd Lifetime Subscription

JSS3rd Geek Member

Hi Evan,

AMD ATI video card in the desktop, but the laptop has an Intel graphics controller and, as I said, the Ctrl+Alt+arrow keys commands don't work on either computer. Not to worry, though, as I've never needed the capability, nor do I ever expect to.

10. 2015/03/04
    Evan Omo

You might look in the Intel Graphics Control Panel to see if the hotkeys for that shortcut are disabled.

Even if you don't plan to use it, knowing where to change those settings would be good to know.