1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved [Problems installing/removing IE9]

Discussion in 'Internet Explorer & Microsoft Edge' started by BobbyScot, 2015/03/01.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2015/03/01
    BobbyScot

BobbyScot Geek Member Thread Starter

I find that I have a possible glitch with IE 9 installed. Each time that I try to reinstall, a caption shows that it is the wrong edition for my setup or that installed is the most current version. I thought in uninstalling IE 9, but I fail to find IE 9 in uninstal programs in Control Panel. Suggestion of help will be
    most appreciated.

Fault : clicking Internet Explorer icon at bootup, requires to use the Diagnostic window to clear error.

2. 2015/03/01
    rsinfo

rsinfo SuperGeek Alumni

Is the OS Vista or Win 7 Home (as per your System specs) ?

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2015/03/01
    BobbyScot

My current OS is Vista Premium 64bit. I was forced to fall back on Vista as computer refused to open Window 7 Premium 64bit, desktop icons were not displayed on monitor screen. I tried to reinstal to factory settings three times Vista/Windows 7 upgrade, with the same error each time. In current Vista settting, computer is not stable in operation. Thanks for your response.

5. 2015/03/01
    rsinfo

rsinfo SuperGeek Alumni

You should check your RAM & hard disk before proceeding any further. RAM issues are notoriously difficult to pinpoint & easiest if you can swap the RAM with some other computer.

6. 2015/03/02
    lj50 Lifetime Subscription

lj50 SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Last edited: 2015/03/02
    lj50,
  7. 2015/03/02
    BobbyScot

Yes a fully agree in what you say, unfortunately I have no other computer for my disposal. At each power up, Internet Explorer 9 fails to instal. Clicking the check for error, starts the diagnostic tool that shows Windows is unable to find cause. On clicking manually, error is cleared, and Windows Internet 9 starts as normal and remains until the next power up. I have tried to reinstal IE 9, this shows that current installed IE9 is best and no instal takes place.Question is how can current installed IE 9 be uninstalled as it is not listed in installed software programs.

8. 2015/03/02

Bobby I added a link to my previous post.

lj50,
  9. 2015/03/02
    BobbyScot

In control Panel under Uninstall Programs -- IE 9 not listed.
    Tried to install IE 9 at MS Website. Latest version downloaded as suggested and run, caption "IE did not finish installing ". Other previous caption "Later version installed ". Thanks for help.

10. 2015/03/02

Navigate Start\Control Panel\Programs and Features. In the left panel Click on View installed updates. Scroll down the list until you find the Update for IE9 Highlight the entry click uninstall. If you do not plan on using IE. You can also disable/turn it off in Turn Windows features on or off.

Last edited: 2015/03/02
    lj50,
  11. 2015/03/02
    BobbyScot

I appreciate your last suggestion, and deleted IE9 update. Then installed the new version of IE9, caption again showed "IE did not finish installing ". Update removal restarted computer after session completed. I still have original IE9 installation on computer and is working normally. Certainly I will have to await my next computer power up to see if any changes to running IE9. Thank you again for your help, and noted for future reference.

12. 2015/03/02
    BobbyScot

I made a further power up and error remains. Requires Windows Network Diagnostic to be run. Caption "Problem can not be repaired automatically ". Clicking of caption finally makes IE9 open normally. This requires to be run at each power up of computer.

13. 2015/03/02
    BobbyScot

Internet icon is no longer visible on Desktop or find any reference to open Internet Explorer. I am now unable to access any Web sites.

14. 2015/03/02

C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer. Right click on iexplore then click on Send to Desktop

15. 2015/03/02
    BobbyScot

Thanks, now have Explorer Shortcut icon back and working. Error persists with re-installing IE9, as it refuses to intall completely, even when uninstalling IE9 update.

16. 2015/03/03
    Steve R Jones

Steve R Jones SuperGeek Staff

Earlier you stated:
    Did you mean the "computer" is working normally or did you mean IE9 is working normally?

17. 2015/03/03
    BobbyScot

At the time IE9 was working normally. Computer at times shows up errors and can also be slow at times.

18. 2015/03/03
    Steve R Jones

Steve R Jones SuperGeek Staff

But, Is IE9 working now/today?

Your original post stated:
    Maybe IE isn't the problem...Maybe it's related to the network card...

19. 2015/03/03
    BobbyScot

Remains the same at power up.

20. 2015/03/04
    Malnutrition

Malnutrition Active Member

First off a large amount of start up programs can cause issues, so lets get that out of the way.

I suggest that you download CCLEANER then run it, hit the option's button then settings,put a tick next to Run Ccleaner when the computer starts.
    Also when in options go to advanced tab and put a tick next to close program after cleaning.
    This will automate the temporary file removal on your machine and keep it speedy.
    Disable all of the start ups on the machine except your antivirus.
    To disable hit the tools button then the start up button,then disable.

Download and install the windows all in one repair tool, you may need to transfer the program via usb or cd, since you are having issues with internet explorer. Or simply boot into safe mode with networking, to see if you have no issues (downloading) using IE there.

http://kb.eset.com/esetkb/index?page=content&id=SOLN2268 ... Info for boot into SM
    http://www.tweaking.com/content/page/windows_repair_all_in_one.html All in one tool.

Now I am assuming that you have the all in one tool installed, please go back into normal mode.

Instructions for running the tool below.

Note: Whilst running this tool, your anti-virus must be disabled.

Can you please download the All in one Repair tool.
    • Once it has downloaded, right-click it and select Run as administrator (xp users doulbe click)
    • Once it is open, select Step 4 from the tabs along the top.
    • Create a backup of your registry by selecting Backup
    • After that has finished, click on the Start Repairs tab, and select Start
    • Make sure the boxes shown in the following screenshot are selected:
    [​IMG]
    • Select Start, and let the program run.
    • After the tool completes it will shutdown your machine, reboot the machine a couple of times after the initial shutdown.

As a matter of doing some basic clean up on the machine, I would suggest running the following tools from time to time.

https://toolslib.net/downloads/viewdownload/1-adwcleaner/
    http://thisisudax.org/

Also if you are able, then I suggest that you install Firefox and install the add ons below.
    https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefox/addon/adguard-adblocker/
    https://adblockplus.org/

If you are currently without antivirus protection, I can suggest to you the following free security programs with great detection and light on the system.

http://www.360totalsecurity.com/en/
    https://www.avira.com/en/avira-free-antivirus

With regards to security here are a couple of great free on demand scanners to use to help you clean your machine.

http://www.malwarebytes.org/mwb-download/confirm/
    http://9-lab.com/

I really hope this information finds you well. :)

21. 2015/03/05
    BobbyScot

Error happens at every power up. If you do not shut computer down at all during a normal us of computer, then error is not present.
    I have CCleaner Pro and used several times a day.
    I will have to study in depth topic from Malnutrition, report later. Than you for responses.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.