1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved MS Works 9 compatibility

Discussion in 'Other PC Software' started by Tony King, 2015/02/25.

1. 2015/02/25
    Tony King

Tony King Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I have several "wdb" files created with MS Works 6. Having recently loaded Works 9 I found that it will open my MS 6 "wdb" files, but the Sort Records function fails completely with the usual "found error - has to close ".

I am expecting it to sort with ref. to a numerical field, which ought not to be a problem. Has anyone come across this, and is there a solution?

2. 2015/02/25
    antik

antik Well-Known Member

You might try using Works 9 to open the file, and "save as" with a new file name. Then reopen the new file and see if the sort function is restored.

Last edited: 2015/02/25

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2015/02/26
    Tony King

Thanks for your response Antik.

Tried your suggestion, but absolutely no difference. I had in fact done that previously while fiddling about testing various possibilities, like changing the 'sort' field to numeric in case MS 9 didn't like sorting 'text' fields.

Any more thoughts?

5. 2015/02/26
    antik

antik Well-Known Member

You might try creating a small test database using Works 9 and then try the sort records function to see if it works. Would be a way of seeing if the older files are really the problem.

6. 2015/02/28
    Tony King

Good idea - will try that today and tell you the results. However, if that really is a solution I would be forced to re-create all my database files (or not!!!)

7. 2015/02/28
    Tony King

:( Yes, my worst fears - creating an entirely new database does in fact result in "sort records" working correctly. So, am I stuck with the workaround of inserting any new item in its actual place in the database? Or is there any other possibility? Rebuilding all my dozen or so files from the beginning is simply not feasible.

8. 2015/02/28
    antik

antik Well-Known Member

Take a hacker approach, trying all kinds of things to see what will happen..

Microsoft KB 940005 on file formats in Works 9 seems to require an import, as opposed to just double clicking on the filename to open.

File formats supported in Works 9

Try saving the older file as a backup (.bdb) and then open the backup

Try saving as .csv and then import the .csv into Microsoft Excel or Open Office Base. Try to find a version of Open Office close in age to the version of Works which originally created the files.

ftp://archive.services.openoffice.org/pub/openoffice-archive/stable/

You would open the .wdb file in List View (Shft+f9). Copy All the data and paste into a new OpenOffice Calc spreadsheet. The Field names will not have been included. These have to be entered manually by inserting a new row at the top of the Calc sheet and typing the names. The Calc sheet can then be copied and pasted as a new table in a new Base file: the copy and paste process permits you to define each Field Type for the new OpenOffice database.

Try the same method with Works 9, forcing works to create a new database.

You could also try this with the .txt format which in Works is text and tabs.

Another way to force Works to create a new database:

1) Open the old .wdb file.
    2) Add a label in the Form Design view (View menu, click Form Design).
    3) Click an empty area in the form.
    4) From the Insert menu, click Label.
    5) In the "Type the text for the label below" box, enter the text, click Insert.
    6) From the File menu, Save the database file under a new name.
    7) Open the new database file.
    8) Delete the label you added in the Form Design view.
    9) Click the label that you added.
    10) From the Edit menu, click Delete Selection.
    11) From the File menu, click Save to save the database file.

Last edited: 2015/03/01
  9. 2015/03/01
    Tony King

Hello again. Antik. Thanks for your many thoughts.

The first option via Open Office was more complex than I was looking for - as there is a workaround it's not worth the trouble of all the new entries.

Your second option (inserting a random label etc. etc.) looked more promising but unfortunately it didn't make any difference.

Any further suggestions welcome, but please don't go to too much trouble as there is the useable (inelegant) workaround.

Incidentally, you quoted MS KB 306084 - this didn't seem relevant as it relates to using System Restore, not MS Works.

10. 2015/03/01
    antik

antik Well-Known Member

Re the KB, the link in my post is good and will take you to the right place. (KB940005) Thank you for the correction.

KB197894 (2004) discusses How to import a Works database file into Access 2000. However, the Works versions listed are 2.0 to 4.0

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/197894

Looked at linux, but the results are not promising, especially if you are not already very expert with linux and the WINE application.

Short of running the original software on an old operating system, I don't have an answer.

Last edited: 2015/03/01
  11. 2015/03/01
    Tony King

Thanks for all the suggestions - we would both have been pleased if one of them had worked.

There is obviously something fundamental in the Works 8 files that Works 9 objects to, although it's surprising that it is such as to cause an immediate crash.

So, it's back to the workaround - not too bad actually.