1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved cannot access website on a computer but can on another

Discussion in 'General Internet' started by cspgsl, 2015/01/29.

1. 2015/01/29
    cspgsl Lifetime Subscription

cspgsl Geek Member Thread Starter

I am trying to access a website http://awdtest4.com/

I can open the site on my desktop (lan) but not my laptop (wlan). The two machines are on the same network.

Any ideas? Thanks

2. 2015/01/29
    MrBill

MrBill SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

I can't open it either. I have tried it several times. Are you sure that is a correct address on the PC that you can't get to the page with?

I Get:

This page can’t be displayed

•Make sure the web address http://awdtest4.com is correct.
    •Look for the page with your search engine.
    •Refresh the page in a few minutes.

Last edited: 2015/01/29

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2015/01/29
    SVEN

SVEN Well-Known Member

I can open it on my windows 7 computer at home and it gets me to:
    Business Accounting in North Toronto & the GTA.

but I can not open it at my work where I run a win 8.1 computer.
    In your case, is one computer win 7 and the other win 8?

Would be interesting to know if win 8 has the problem or IE 11

Sven

SVEN,
  5. 2015/01/29
    antik

antik Well-Known Member

works fine with windows 7 professional and IE11.0.15

works fine with XP Home and Pale Moon

works fine with lubuntu and firefox 35.0.1

all hardwired to router

6. 2015/01/29
    MrBill

Still can't get to it using FF 35.0.1 or IE 11 on Win 7 Pro hardwired.

7. 2015/01/29
    rsinfo

rsinfo SuperGeek Alumni

Working fine here. FF 35.0.1, Win 8.1 Pro, hardwired.

8. 2015/01/30
    SVEN

SVEN Well-Known Member

Strange, my win 8.1 in the office is hardwired and can not log on, but my win 7 at home is Wi-Fi and can log on.

is Wi-Fi using a differed protocol to log on???
    strange indeed

Sven

SVEN,
  9. 2015/01/30
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

Won't load for me either: awdtest4.com.
    The name does not resolve. That means my DNS server does not have that domain in its lists or the site only allows access from specified domains, e.g. may be filtering using geographical IP addresses.

I have verified it's a DNS problem.

This is the site's Lookup info:
    162.245.147.16 is from Canada (CA) in region North America
    IP address: 162.245.147.16
    Host name: awdtest4.com

The server has shared hosting running Apache Web server, many domains are on the same server. 162.245.147.16 is the IP address of the main server. This is the URL of the site using Apache defaults (awdtest4 is the account username):
    http://162.245.147.16/~awdtest4

I can access a site using the above link but cannot access it using the domain name, thus the domain name is not stored by my DNS server. My router is set to use google DNS.

Most probable cause is that the hosting server is misconfigured.

The site is using Joomla content management system with a lot of 3rd party add-on javascript and what appears to be unnecessary code. It could be they are reworking the site and have not completed all the site functions yet.

10. 2015/01/30

After restating the laptop, the site now loads for me this morning across all browsers without problem, on my wireless network. I did restart my laptop last night which didn't make any difference.

It loads using wither http:// or www.

The domain is mine, one of many on my VPS which, the details of which Tony has correctly pinpointed.

The site is a raw install of a Joomla template which is yet to be configured (cleaned up).

@ Tony - your comment "Most probable cause is that the hosting server is misconfigured." - Could you please expand on your thoughts?

Thanks

11. 2015/01/30
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

Well, whenever a domain name is established, the domain's settings can be setup, e.g. domain records, name servers, forwarding, etc. This usually done automagically when a domain and hosting are purchased at the same time.

A new domain name usually takes up to 3 days at most to propagate all the DNS servers on the Internet and point to WWW content. Your domain is not new and should have propagated long ago.

The site should be accessible unless changes were made recently to the name servers or other key domain records, or records are incomplete or erroneous.

Interesting that a google search for adwtests4.com yeilds the following:

Welcome - Ideal

www.awdtest4.com/
    Home · About Us · Landscape Design. Internlocking & Natural Stone; Planting; Landscaping with Water. Landscape Services. Yard Work · Backyard Creation ...

12. 2015/01/30

It is a domain I use to trial build a site then when ready I move the site to the live domain.

The Landscape reference is to a site that was under development for some time, hence the google reference. I see that I mistakenly didn't add the no follow code to the .htaccess file for that site.

The domain was moved to my VPS about 7 days ago and was working within 20 minutes but I find that even today, it still has not fully propagated
    https://www.whatsmydns.net/#A/awdtest4.com

13. 2015/01/30
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

When using Joomla or Wordpress or other major CMS systems, site links usually use absolute paths, e.g. http://mydomain/images/picture.jpg. While relative URLs make site transfers much easier, most of these CMSs will automatically update URLs when configuring the site via its admin panel.

This is why when I am building a client's site, I don't associate their domain name with the site until it's moved to their host user directory. For example, if I setup a site for abc-landscaping.com, I build it at mydomain.com/abc-landscaping/. It's own directory. And I can use that url to demo it to the client.

When finished, all I need do is setup the CMS in the hosting computer's <user>/home/public_html, then transfer the templates. If need be, I export the database and import it into the new one.

But I do all this on a linux server in my office, which makes it much easier. I would never use a live paid for server for development. It's too easy to crash the server for all sites hosted on it, especially when using php & mysql.

If I didn't have a home linux server I would use my own live domain like so when developing client's sites:
    mydomain.com/abc-landscaping/<cms files>
    mydomain.com/123-plumbing/<cms files>
    mydomain.com/bestapplepies/index.html or index.php
    etc. etc.

...and avoid any and all dns issues. The client's actual hosted site can have a simple solo file, index.html with minimal content. That way the domain name has propagated while development has taken place.

14. 2015/01/30
    MrBill

I got to the site this morning with no problem.

15. 2015/01/30

Thanks Tony - I have done that in the past however, ran into FTP issues now and then when I created the subdomain so, I started using dummy domains to develop and flip everything over to the live domain when ready. I have anywhere between 3 and 6 or so going at a time and it seems to work for me.

16. 2015/01/30

Well, after further discussion with my hosting company, I see where to add the IP to the custom nameserves for each of my domains by editing the DNS Zone file for each domain.

I am moving from a shared reseller hosting service at another host to a VPS plan at my new host. The old host was great in that they did everything and it worked for me for many years. The sad thing is that the company was sold last summer and response times for support have gone from superb to non-existent. The last ticket I submitted took a full 30 days to earn a response from them. From time to time, my sites were affected by other, less reputable resellers on the same server so, the VPS seemed like the best possible / affordable solution and I must say, the support has been first rate.

Thanks everyone for looking into this.

17. 2015/01/30
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

No need for a subdomain. Just put the site files in a directory and use the url: mysite.com/directory.

With a VPS you will have full root access. Install sshd (if not yet installed) and use ssh or sftp instead of ftp. It's more secure and less troublesome. On windows you can use the opensource WinSCP to upload and download files using ssh2.