1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved Slow running Machine

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Dcmurray, 2014/11/24.

1. 2014/11/24
    Dcmurray

Dcmurray Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Hello, after some time with Broni in the Malware forum, it appears that I still have some issues with my machine. I have been trying to download Windows Updates and it is taking a really really long time to install. I also have ben trying to update Java and it too is taking over an hour to update and still hasn't. My internet seems to working fine with all the other devices and computers in my home. When trying to open web pages or viewing videos, again very very slow. My last thread in the Malware forum was entitled "Very Slow Computer ". I have also tried to find a way to resolve that thread and the option is not available to me under Thread tools. Please help.

Thank you

2. 2014/11/24
    mickzer

mickzer Well-Known Member

I think only Broni can mark a thread as "Resolved" in the Malware forum.I'll let the experts deal with the rest of your post.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2014/11/24
    Admin.

Admin. Administrator Administrator Staff

Please enter your System Details. It helps us in answering your questions!

5. 2014/11/24
    Evan Omo

Evan Omo Computer Support Technician Staff

Hi Dcmurray.

Lets see what is going on with your machine. Follow these steps to help make the computer run faster and more efficiently:

1. Click Start< Control Panel< Uninstall a Program and uninstall any programs that you don't use.

2. In Control Panel under Programs and Features click the link that says Turn Windows Features On or Off and uncheck all the checkboxes except for Games, Internet Explorer 8/9/10/11, Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5.1, Windows Media Features, Windows Search, XPS Services and XPS Viewer. Then Expand the Windows Media Features category and uncheck Windows Media Center unless you use it but leave Windows Media Player and Windows DVD Maker checked. Click Ok when you are done and then click on the Restart Later button when prompted. (If you use a Windows Feature that is listed then don't uncheck its checkbox)

3. Download and run ATF Cleaner. Save the program to your desktop. After the download completes, right click on the ATF Cleaner program and select Run as Administrator. When it opens select all the checkboxes in the program then hit the empty selected button.

4. Run Disk Cleanup. Click Start< All Programs< Accessories< System Tools< Right click Disk Cleanup and select Run as Administrator. Once Disk Cleanup finishes calculating how much space it can free up make sure that all the checkboxes are selected. Once all of those checkboxes are selected click the More Options tab and under System Restore and Shadow Copies click the Cleanup button. Click Clean up to delete all of the old System Restore points. Once that's done click the Ok button to perform the requested actions and click Yes when prompted to allow Disk Cleanup to remove unnecessary files on the computer.

5. Disable any Windows Services that you don't use by following Black Vipers Services Guide. After you have disabled the services that you don't need running, make sure to reboot the computer for the changes to take effect.

6. Download and run Auslogics Disk Defrag. Make sure to uncheck any toolbars in the installation wizard as they are not needed. After the installation finishes open the program by right clicking on the Auslogics Disk Defrag shortcut and selecting Run As Administrator. When you open the program click on Settings< Defrag Priority and select High Priority. Then click on Settings< Program Settings< Algorithms Tab. Select the Delete temporary files before defragmenting checkbox and select the Move system files to the beginning on the disk checkbox. When done click Ok to close the Settings window. When you are ready to start the defragmentation process select the small down arrow next to the word Defrag and select the Defrag button. The process could take a long time so please be patient.

7. Download and run Auslogics Registry Defrag. Make sure to uncheck any toolbars in the installation wizard as they are not needed. After the installation finishes, open the program by right clicking on the Auslogics Registry Defrag shortcut and selecting Run As Administrator. When the program opens click the Analyze button. When the process finishes analyzing click the Defrag Registry button followed by clicking the Restart button to finish the registry defrag process.

8. Click Start< Right Click Computer and click Properties. In the System window click the Advanced System Settings button< In the System Properties window on the advanced tab under where it says Performance hit the settings button. In the Performance Options window click the Advanced tab and under Virtual Memory click the Change button. In the Virtual Memory window make sure your hard drive is selected and select the option that says System Managed Size and click the Set button. Now click Ok on the Virtual Memory window to close it. Now in the Performance Options window click the Data Execution Prevention tab and select the option that says Turn on DEP for all programs and services except those I select. After that's done click Ok on all the windows to close them out and then reboot the computer.

9. You can disable the Windows Aero Interface if you don't care about all of the glass effects and clear borders for a speed improvement, Disable Aero on Windows 7 or Vista.

10. Take a look at these simple tweaks to decrease the delay time when opening menus and to improve the shutdown time, How to Speed up the Menu Show Delay Time in Windows 7, How to Change the Mouse Hover Time before Pop-up Displays in Windows 7, Speed up Windows 7 Shutdown.

11. If you find the secure desktop functionality in User Account Control annoying then you can disable it for a speed improvement, Make User Account Control (UAC) Stop Blacking Out the Screen in Windows 7 or Vista.

12. Run Check Disk on the hard drive to repair any errors in the file system. To do this click Start< My Computer. Right click on your hard drive and click on Properties. Then once the hard drive properties dialog box opens, click on the Tools Tab. Under where it says Error-checking click on the Check Now button. Ensure that both the Automatically fix file system errors and the Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors checkboxes are both checked. After that is done click on the Start button. Check Disk will ask you to schedule the disk check when you restart your computer. Click on yes to do this and then restart your computer to allow check disk to run.

13. Click Start< All Programs< Accessories< Right click on Command Prompt and select Run as Administrator. The Command Prompt window will open. Paste the following command in the Command Prompt window and press enter, Rundll32.exe advapi32.dll,ProcessIdleTasks. The process idle tasks process can take a few minutes to complete. Once it finishes you can close the Command Prompt window.

14. Download MiniToolBox and save it to your desktop. Run the program and when the program opens check the following boxes:

Flush DNS
    Reset FF proxy Settings
    Reset IE Proxy Settings
    Report IE Proxy Settings
    Report FF Proxy Settings
    List content of Hosts
    List IP configuration
    List Winsock Entries
    List last 10 Event Viewer log
    List Installed Programs
    List Users, Partitions and Memory size
    List Devices (problems only)

Click the Go button and attach the MiniToolBox log in your next reply.

15. After that, please download HitmanPro and activate the free trial, then run a scan and see if it finds any other entries.

16. Then download the Adware Removal Tool. Right click the program and select Run as administrator. When the program opens click on the Scan and Repair button. After that process completes a new window will open with items that the program found. Make sure all the items are selected and then click on the Remove button. The computer will be rebooted. Attach the log file in your next reply.

17. Then, download HijackThis to your desktop. Run the program by right clicking on it and selecting Run as administrator and on the Main Menu click the button that says Do a system scan and save a logfile. Attach the HijackThis log in your next reply.

18. Download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (MBAM): Malwarebytes Anti-Malware FREE to your desktop.

•Double-click mbam-setup.exe and follow the prompts to install the program.
    •At the end, be sure to uncheck Enable free trial of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware PRO. Make sure Update Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes Anti-Malware are checked, then click Finish.
    •If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
    •Once the program has loaded, select Perform Threat scan, then click Scan.
    •When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
    •Be sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
    •When completed, a log will open in Notepad.
    •Post the results of the scan in your next reply.

19. Finally, download and run TCP Optimizer. Save the program to your desktop and then run the program by right clicking on it and selecting Run as administrator. When the program opens, on the General Settings tab under Network Adapter selection click the option that says Modify all Network Adapters. Then at the bottom of the window where it says Choose settings, select the Optimal setting and click on Apply Changes. Click on Ok to confirm the changes and when prompted reboot the computer for the changes to take effect.

20. Could you let me know what security programs you have installed?

21. How many processes are running in the Windows Task Manager?

Let me know how the computer is running after performing the above steps.

You can attach logs by clicking on the Upload a File button when you are responding to your thread.

Also please enter your System Details. It helps us in answering your questions.

Note: A common error is to forget to show your System Details in your profile:

Make sure to do the above when entering your System Details, thanks.

6. 2014/11/27
    Dcmurray

Very Slow Computer - Logs attached

Hello,

Please find uploaded files attached. I ran into some troubles when I tried the Command Prompt. Opened up no problem but when I pasted the information and pressed enter, it just went to another prompt. C:\WINDOWS\System32. I tried a few time but no luck. When I ran the Adware Removal Tool, I forgot to save the log. When I ran the Malwarebytes tool, no logs came up, but it said no malicious files found.

I use Norton Internet Security. I have just edited my System Details, and there are 38 processes running in Task Manager right now.

Computer still seems quite slow, especially when loading and playing videos from you tube.

Thanks for your help so far!

Dana

Attached Files:

7. 2014/11/27
    Dcmurray

I tried to upload the Hijackthis log. Dont see it uploaded, so I copied it.

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.4
    Scan saved at 12:14:44 PM, on 27/11/2014
    Platform: Windows 7 SP1 (WinNT 6.00.3505)
    MSIE: Internet Explorer v10.0 (10.00.9200.16843)
    Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Norton Internet Security\Engine\21.6.0.32\NIS.exe
    C:\Program Files (x86)\TOSHIBA\ConfigFree\NDSTray.exe
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Apple\Internet Services\iCloudServices.exe
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Apple\Internet Services\ApplePhotoStreams.exe
    C:\Program Files (x86)\TomTom HOME 2\TomTomHOMERunner.exe
    C:\Program Files (x86)\HP\HP Software Update\hpwuschd2.exe
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Sony\Content Transfer\ContentTransferWMDetector.exe
    C:\Program Files (x86)\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Java\Java Update\jusched.exe
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Apple\Apple Application Support\APSDaemon.exe
    C:\Program Files (x86)\TOSHIBA\ConfigFree\CFSwMgr.exe
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Live\Mail\wlmail.exe
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Live\Contacts\wlcomm.exe
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\plugin-container.exe
    C:\windows\SysWOW64\Macromed\Flash\FlashPlayerPlugin_15_0_0_223.exe
    C:\windows\SysWOW64\Macromed\Flash\FlashPlayerPlugin_15_0_0_223.exe
    C:\Users\Dana\Downloads\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/p/?LinkId=255141
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
    R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page = C:\Windows\SysWOW64\blank.htm
    R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = *.local
    R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar,LinksFolderName =
    O2 - BHO: Norton Identity Protection - {602ADB0E-4AFF-4217-8AA1-95DAC4DFA408} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Norton Internet Security\Engine\21.6.0.32\coIEPlg.dll
    O2 - BHO: Norton Vulnerability Protection - {6D53EC84-6AAE-4787-AEEE-F4628F01010C} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Norton Internet Security\Engine\21.6.0.32\IPS\IPSBHO.DLL
    O2 - BHO: Java(tm) Plug-In SSV Helper - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre7\bin\ssv.dll
    O2 - BHO: Windows Live ID Sign-in Helper - {9030D464-4C02-4ABF-8ECC-5164760863C6} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live\WindowsLiveLogin.dll
    O2 - BHO: Windows Live Messenger Companion Helper - {9FDDE16B-836F-4806-AB1F-1455CBEFF289} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Live\Companion\companioncore.dll
    O2 - BHO: Java(tm) Plug-In 2 SSV Helper - {DBC80044-A445-435b-BC74-9C25C1C588A9} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre7\bin\jp2ssv.dll
    O2 - BHO: TOSHIBA Media Controller Plug-in - {F3C88694-EFFA-4d78-B409-54B7B2535B14} - C:\Program Files (x86)\TOSHIBA\TOSHIBA Media Controller Plug-in\TOSHIBAMediaControllerIE.dll
    O3 - Toolbar: Norton Toolbar - {7FEBEFE3-6B19-4349-98D2-FFB09D4B49CA} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Norton Internet Security\Engine\21.6.0.32\coIEPlg.dll
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HP Software Update] C:\Program Files (x86)\HP\HP Software Update\HPWuSchd2.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ContentTransferWMDetector.exe] C:\Program Files (x86)\Sony\Content Transfer\ContentTransferWMDetector.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files (x86)\QuickTime\QTTask.exe" -atboottime
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [APSDaemon] "C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Apple\Apple Application Support\APSDaemon.exe "
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adobe ARM] "C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\ARM\1.0\AdobeARM.exe "
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iTunesHelper] "C:\Program Files (x86)\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe "
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Java\Java Update\jusched.exe "
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [HP Officejet Pro 8600 (NET)] "C:\Program Files\HP\HP Officejet Pro 8600\Bin\ScanToPCActivationApp.exe" -deviceID "CN37VDWHND05KC:NW" -scfn "HP Officejet Pro 8600 (NET)" -AutoStart 1
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [iCloudServices] C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Apple\Internet Services\iCloudServices.exe
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ApplePhotoStreams] C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Apple\Internet Services\ApplePhotoStreams.exe
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [TomTomHOME.exe] "C:\Program Files (x86)\TomTom HOME 2\TomTomHOMERunner.exe "
    O4 - HKCU\..\RunOnce: [FlashPlayerUpdate] C:\windows\SysWOW64\Macromed\Flash\FlashUtil32_15_0_0_223_Plugin.exe -update plugin
    O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-21-1892387121-2570166611-1767908592-1003\..\Run: [Sidebar] C:\Program Files\Windows Sidebar\sidebar.exe /autoRun (User '?')
    O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~2\MIF5BA~1\Office10\EXCEL.EXE/3000
    O9 - Extra button: @C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Live\Companion\companionlang.dll,-600 - {0000036B-C524-4050-81A0-243669A86B9F} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Live\Companion\companioncore.dll
    O9 - Extra button: @C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Live\Writer\WindowsLiveWriterShortcuts.dll,-1004 - {219C3416-8CB2-491a-A3C7-D9FCDDC9D600} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Live\Writer\WriterBrowserExtension.dll
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Live\Writer\WindowsLiveWriterShortcuts.dll,-1003 - {219C3416-8CB2-491a-A3C7-D9FCDDC9D600} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Live\Writer\WriterBrowserExtension.dll
    O10 - Unknown file in Winsock LSP: c:\program files (x86)\common files\microsoft shared\windows live\wlidnsp.dll
    O10 - Unknown file in Winsock LSP: c:\program files (x86)\common files\microsoft shared\windows live\wlidnsp.dll
    O11 - Options group: [ACCELERATED_GRAPHICS] Accelerated graphics
    O18 - Protocol: intu-tt2010 - {97A0575E-2309-4E75-8509-B1F9390C4DE7} - C:\Program Files (x86)\TurboTax 2010\ic2010pp.dll (file missing)
    O18 - Protocol: intu-tt2011 - {B3B5DAD9-E96D-45B4-B636-B6CF2F773DE1} - C:\Program Files (x86)\TurboTax 2011\ic2011pp.dll
    O18 - Protocol: intu-tt2012 - {02F985EF-502B-4597-993F-6BF9E004C138} - C:\Program Files (x86)\TurboTax 2012\ic2012pp.dll
    O18 - Protocol: intu-tt2013 - {9FF5EC07-1645-43BF-828F-C73CFA7BC1AF} - C:\Program Files (x86)\TurboTax 2013\ic2013pp.dll
    O18 - Protocol: wlpg - {E43EF6CD-A37A-4A9B-9E6F-83F89B8E6324} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Live\Photo Gallery\AlbumDownloadProtocolHandler.dll
    O23 - Service: Adobe Acrobat Update Service (AdobeARMservice) - Adobe Systems Incorporated - C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\ARM\1.0\armsvc.exe
    O23 - Service: Adobe Flash Player Update Service (AdobeFlashPlayerUpdateSvc) - Adobe Systems Incorporated - C:\windows\SysWOW64\Macromed\Flash\FlashPlayerUpdateService.exe
    O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\Alg.exe,-112 (ALG) - Unknown owner - C:\windows\System32\alg.exe (file missing)
    O23 - Service: Apple Mobile Device - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
    O23 - Service: WebEx Service Host for Support Center (atashost) - Cisco WebEx LLC - C:\windows\SysWOW64\atashost.exe
    O23 - Service: Bonjour Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe
    O23 - Service: ConfigFree WiMAX Service (cfWiMAXService) - TOSHIBA CORPORATION - C:\Program Files (x86)\TOSHIBA\ConfigFree\CFIWmxSvcs64.exe
    O23 - Service: ConfigFree Service - TOSHIBA CORPORATION - C:\Program Files (x86)\TOSHIBA\ConfigFree\CFSvcs.exe
    O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\efssvc.dll,-100 (EFS) - Unknown owner - C:\windows\System32\lsass.exe (file missing)
    O23 - Service: GameConsoleService - WildTangent, Inc. - C:\Program Files (x86)\TOSHIBA Games\TOSHIBA Game Console\GameConsoleService.exe
    O23 - Service: Google Update Service (gupdate) (gupdate) - Google Inc. - C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Update\GoogleUpdate.exe
    O23 - Service: Google Update Service (gupdatem) (gupdatem) - Google Inc. - C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Update\GoogleUpdate.exe
    O23 - Service: iPod Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
    O23 - Service: @keyiso.dll,-100 (KeyIso) - Unknown owner - C:\windows\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)
    O23 - Service: Mozilla Maintenance Service (MozillaMaintenance) - Mozilla Foundation - C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Maintenance Service\maintenanceservice.exe
    O23 - Service: @comres.dll,-2797 (MSDTC) - Unknown owner - C:\windows\System32\msdtc.exe (file missing)
    O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\System32\netlogon.dll,-102 (Netlogon) - Unknown owner - C:\windows\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)
    O23 - Service: Norton Internet Security (NIS) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files (x86)\Norton Internet Security\Engine\21.6.0.32\NIS.exe
    O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\psbase.dll,-300 (ProtectedStorage) - Unknown owner - C:\windows\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)
    O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\Locator.exe,-2 (RpcLocator) - Unknown owner - C:\windows\system32\locator.exe (file missing)
    O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\samsrv.dll,-1 (SamSs) - Unknown owner - C:\windows\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)
    O23 - Service: Simply Accounting Database Connection Manager - Sage Software - C:\Program Files (x86)\Winsim\ConnectionManager\SimplyConnectionManager.exe
    O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\snmptrap.exe,-3 (SNMPTRAP) - Unknown owner - C:\windows\System32\snmptrap.exe (file missing)
    O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\spoolsv.exe,-1 (Spooler) - Unknown owner - C:\windows\System32\spoolsv.exe (file missing)
    O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\sppsvc.exe,-101 (sppsvc) - Unknown owner - C:\windows\system32\sppsvc.exe (file missing)
    O23 - Service: TMachInfo - TOSHIBA Corporation - C:\Program Files (x86)\TOSHIBA\TOSHIBA Service Station\TMachInfo.exe
    O23 - Service: TOSHIBA Optical Disc Drive Service (TODDSrv) - Unknown owner - C:\windows\system32\TODDSrv.exe (file missing)
    O23 - Service: TomTomHOMEService - TomTom - C:\Program Files (x86)\TomTom HOME 2\TomTomHOMEService.exe
    O23 - Service: TOSHIBA Power Saver (TosCoSrv) - TOSHIBA Corporation - C:\Program Files\TOSHIBA\Power Saver\TosCoSrv.exe
    O23 - Service: TOSHIBA HDD SSD Alert Service - TOSHIBA Corporation - C:\Program Files\TOSHIBA\TOSHIBA HDD SSD Alert\TosSmartSrv.exe
    O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\ui0detect.exe,-101 (UI0Detect) - Unknown owner - C:\windows\system32\UI0Detect.exe (file missing)
    O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\vaultsvc.dll,-1003 (VaultSvc) - Unknown owner - C:\windows\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)
    O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\vds.exe,-100 (vds) - Unknown owner - C:\windows\System32\vds.exe (file missing)
    O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\vssvc.exe,-102 (VSS) - Unknown owner - C:\windows\system32\vssvc.exe (file missing)
    O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\Wat\WatUX.exe,-601 (WatAdminSvc) - Unknown owner - C:\windows\system32\Wat\WatAdminSvc.exe (file missing)
    O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\wbengine.exe,-104 (wbengine) - Unknown owner - C:\windows\system32\wbengine.exe (file missing)
    O23 - Service: @%Systemroot%\system32\wbem\wmiapsrv.exe,-110 (wmiApSrv) - Unknown owner - C:\windows\system32\wbem\WmiApSrv.exe (file missing)
    O23 - Service: @%PROGRAMFILES%\Windows Media Player\wmpnetwk.exe,-101 (WMPNetworkSvc) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Media Player\wmpnetwk.exe (file missing)

--
    End of file - 11310 bytes

8. 2014/11/27
    Evan Omo

Click Start< Control Panel< Uninstall a program and remove Google Update Helper.

You are running IE10 which is out of date. Download and install Internet Explorer 11.

Are you paying for Norton Internet Security?

Please download Autoruns. After you download the zipped folder on your desktop, right click the zipped folder and click Extract All. After the folder has been extracted open the regular folder. Run the autoruns.exe program by right clicking on it and selecting Run as administrator. When you open the program click the Logon Tab and then post a screenshot of all the startup entries in your next reply.

9. 2014/11/28
    Dcmurray

Hello, I couldn't find Google Update Helper in my programs, I am paying for Norton, I tried to download Internet Explorer 11, but it wouldn't download, only got about halfway and said it couldn't download. It placed an Icon on my desktop for the troubleshooter. I checked and I think its because I haven't been able to install updates. I've uploaded the screenshots of the Autorun tool as requested.

Thank you so far!

Attached Files:

10. 2014/11/28
    Evan Omo

In Autoruns remove the following items on the Logon Tab:

rdpclip
    Conexant High Definition Filtering Agent
    HotKeyCmds
    IgfxTray
    Persistance
    SmartAudio
    SmoothView
    TosSeNotify
    TPwrMain
    Apple Push
    Content Transfer Walkman
    iTunes Helper
    QuickTime Task
    iCloudPhotos
    TomTom Tray Application

When done, reboot the computer for the changes to take effect. Then try downloading IE11 again using Firefox.

Are you interested in using some of the free alternative security programs and removing Norton from your machine?

11. 2014/11/28
    Dcmurray

Deleted all those files from Logon in Autorun, Rebooted. Internet Explorer still wouldn't download, although, I'm not sure how to do it in Firefox. I'm happy with Norton so far, had it three year running now - no problems yet. Thanks anyways. Still no change in speed of pages opening up and videos are ridiculously slow.

Thank you

Dana

12. 2014/11/28
    Evan Omo

So you wish to stick with Norton even though you have to keep paying for it correct?

For IE try this download link, Internet Explorer 11 for Windows 7.

Are videos slow in both Firefox and IE?

13. 2014/11/30
    Dcmurray

Slow computer

Yes, I'll stick with Norton. Thank you.

Videos and pages loading are still very very slow in both Firefox and Internet explorer.

Thanks

Dana

14. 2014/11/30
    Evan Omo

Did you install IE11?

In Internet Explorer click Tools< Manage Add-ons and disable all add-ons except for Adobe Flash Player.

In Firefox open the menu icon and click Add-ons. Then disable all add-ons and extensions except for the Adobe Flash Player plugin.

See if that helps.

15. 2014/12/01
    Dcmurray

Reply - Slow Computer

Hello, No I didn't get Internet Explorer 11 to install. I took some screenshots of the Firefox plugin that I have. I'm not sure whether to do anything with them, There is no "disable" function that I can find. Under "Extension" there was "ICloud bookmarks" that I disabled.

Thank you again for your help so far.

Attached Files:

16. 2014/12/01
    Evan Omo

Did the IE11 setup install give you an error message? Why couldn't you get it to install?

For the plugins do you visit any websites that require Java? Do you have any applications that require the Java runtime information?

Do you also use iTunes from Apple?

See this link for information on disabling Firefox add-ons, Disable or remove Add-ons.

17. 2014/12/02
    Dcmurray

Answers!

Hi!

I've attached a screenshot of the message from Internet Explorer 11. I usually do not use Itunes, except for updating software on my phone. I'm not sure about Java. I'm not a really experienced user. Sorry.

Computer seems to be running a little better now. I disabled a couple things in plugins - activetouch General plugin container was one, Google update, Itunes application detector and Windows Live photo gallery.

Do you think itunes and Icloud were using a lot of resources?

Thanks again.

Attached Files:

18. 2014/12/03
    Evan Omo

If you don't use Java then I'd recommend uninstalling it from your machine. Click Start< Control Panel< Uninstall a program and remove all Java entries that are listed.

Then once that is done download JavaRa to your desktop and unzip it.

• Run JavaRa.exe (Vista and 7 users! Right click on JavaRa.exe, click Run As Administrator), pick the language of your choice and click Select. Then click Remove Older Versions.
    • Accept any prompts.
    • Do NOT post JavaRa log.

Reboot the computer after JavaRa completes.

Then perform a clean boot in Windows and see if IE11 successfully installs. Take a look here, How to perform a clean boot in Windows.

No the Apple products don't use a lot of resources but its good you disabled the add-ons if you don't need them active.

19. 2014/12/10
    Dcmurray

Hello, Sorry, I was away for a few days. I'm back now. Computer is still working awful! I'm not sure if I use Java or not, therefore, I haven't done anything as suggested in your last post. Please advise. Thank you.

20. 2014/12/10
    Evan Omo

Based on the programs you have installed, you can remove Java from your machine without any ill effects. See this link on why you should remove Java from your machine, Java is Insecure and Awful, It’s Time to Disable It, and Here’s How.

After you remove Java and perform a clean boot in Windows (instructions given in previous post) let me know if IE11 installs.

21. 2014/12/10
    Dcmurray

Hello, I've attached a screenshot of the JavaRA that I've downloaded. Doesn't appear to have anything that resembles your instructions. I haven't done anything yet. Is this the right one?

Attached Files: