1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Windows Vista Computer starts with Win Boot Manager

Discussion in 'Legacy Windows' started by fantasma, 2014/11/22.

1. 2014/11/22
    fantasma

fantasma Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I have an older laptop with Win Vista installed as OS. I cleaned the files and did a number of things to improve operations and it seemed to be running OK. After about 2 months of no use, I turned it on today - and at the end of the use, turned it off, allowing 26 Windows "Updates" to be installed. Now, when I try to start the computer it opens with the Windows Boot Manager, and I have to click on Windows Vista as the operating system in order to get it going. I'm not sure what happened - but if anyone can tell me how to get it back to where Vista automatically boots without having the Boot Manager pop up, I'll appreciate it. (I tried to use System Restore, but it informs me that there are no restore points. Maybe I removed something inadvertently?) Thanks in advance.

2. 2014/11/22
    Evan Omo

Evan Omo Computer Support Technician Staff

Hi fantasma.

For the Windows Boot Manager problem try this method to disable the Windows Vista Boot Selection Menu.

Are there any other problems with the machine aside from the boot manager issue?

Also please enter your System Details. It helps us in answering your questions.

Note: A common error is to forget to show your System Details in your profile:

Make sure to do the above when entering your System Details, thanks.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2014/11/23
    fantasma

Thanks for the suggestion. I've tried typing the command exactly as you have written several times, but the response is always: An unknown command was specified. Run "bcdedit /?" for command line assistance.

I've entered "bcdedit /? ", but was not able to tell what should be done.

Any other suggestions ?

5. 2014/11/23
    Evan Omo

Click Start< Right Click Computer and click Properties. In the System window click the Advanced System Settings button< In the System Properties window on the advanced tab under where it says Startup and Recovery hit the settings button. Under the System Startup section make sure both checkboxes as shown in the following screenshot are unchecked.

When done click Apply and Ok. Then click on Ok again and restart the computer.

6. 2014/11/23
    fantasma

Thanks again for the suggestion. When I tried to start the computer this afternoon, it prompted for selection of VISTA OS, but once I clicked on it, the computer sounded a loud alarm (beeping) and the screen went black. The beeping continued, so I pressed "Control+Alt+Delete" several times, and the alarm stopped and the "Start Up Repair" Message and Program appeared. I elected to have the program attempt to repair 'start up'. At one point it gave option for "system recovery" and I clicked on it. After about 10 minutes, the computer shut down and restarted .... and the problem (Boot Manager Start Up) had disappeared !! I don't know why the "start up repair" option became available this time ... and didn't appear the 10 or 12 times I started the computer yesterday ! hmmm:confused:

I went ahead and checked the advanced properties as suggested, and indeed found the top box WAS checked. I cleared it and re-started the computer.

It appears that the problem has been resolved - but for the most part, the computer "cured itself" via the start up repair.

Thanks for all your suggestions. I appreciate it.

7. 2014/11/23
    Evan Omo

You are welcome. :)

Do you wish to leave the thread open for a couple more days or do you think this issue is resolved?

8. 2014/11/24
    fantasma

I think we can close the thread. The matter seems to be resolved. Thanks, again, for your suggestions.

9. 2014/11/24
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

Marking a thread as 'Resolved'