1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved Cannot connect to one website out of many..

Discussion in 'Networking (Hardware & Software)' started by frayedknotarts, 2014/11/20.

1. 2014/11/20
    frayedknotarts Lifetime Subscription

frayedknotarts Well-Known Member Thread Starter

(May not be correct forum?)

So: I habituate a trivia site which I find enormously enjoyable and am on it usually twice a day (morning and evening contests) each day of the week.

All was well until Tuesday PM when I went to get my twice-daily drubbing and got the following message:
    "Forbidden
    You don't have permission to access/profile.cfm on this server "

OK: Thought maybe it was a problem with my profile, so I typed in the plain address less any individual identifiers and got:

"Forbidden

You don't have permission to access / on this server.

Additionally, a 403 forbidden error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request ".

This is the ONLY site I can't access among thirty or so I've tried. Netflix, Google, Yahoo, Ebay, my banking sites, all come up with no problem, just this site will not be found.

Restarted Firefox in Safe Mode... no luck.

I reset my router (this XP box is connected via ethernet) and it still wouldn't work. I am in the process of setting up a WIN7 (soon to be a WIN10) box to replace this one, so I fired it up, checked to see the Wireless connection was hot (it was) and got... exactly the same result.

Thought maybe the site was down , but www.IIDRN.com pinged and showed the site operational with no reported errors.

Next day I tried to connect to the site from my office and... no problem! It connected using my profile CFM (I had thought maybe my membership had expired) and as just a blank address. Checked this on three computers there (one ethernet and two Wifi) with no connection problems.

I thought there had been a site problem but when I got home, none of the three computers on my network would connect with this one site. Any other site I wanted, Gmail, Xfinity, no problems, just no go with this one.

This AM went into the office and took my laptop. Hooked it up to Wifi... no problem with connexion. Hooked it up to Ethernet... no problem with connexion. Began looking for a sharp knife for my throat.

Took the laptop to two cafes with hotspots and could connect immediately from both locations.

Came back home, hooked up laptop to wireless network and...no joy. Still same for the other two.

Reset cable modem... no change.

Flushed DNS and reset: same problem.

Started Firefox in safe mode again: same problem.

Firefox is set to flush the cache every time it shuts down so nothing there...

Tried it with Internet Destroyer: same problem.

I think the only thing I haven't tried is changing the oil and antifreeze.

Any help will be GREATLY appreciated. (Like Grandpa in "Moonstruck ", "I'm confused... ")

I've not put the website down so as not to be thought of as doing free advertizing, but it's the largest trivia site out there, so....

Last edited: 2014/11/20
  2. 2014/11/20
    MrBill

MrBill SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Your ISP could have that site Blacklisted or that site could have your address from your ISP Blacklisted. What did your ISP say when you called them?

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2014/11/20

Have the same ISP at work as at home: Comcast cable. Didn't call but will do so (can't imagine why they'd blacklist it...)

Be back...

5. 2014/11/20
    MrBill

MrBill SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Doesn't matter. Two different ISP address. Got a friend that had the same problem. Brother lived next door and didn't have the problem.

6. 2014/11/20

Gotcha. Well, after a frustrating 50 minutes with Comcast "service" and four steps up the chain of command, they finally decided that the problem was with my router (which has been reset twice and - as far as I can see - has absolutely nothing to do with the problem other than the fact it was not a Comcast piece of equipment) and that was the end of that. The last monkey on the tree told me that I obviously had a blockage in the router which was preventing me from contacting that one website. ( ? ? ? )

Rather reminiscent of a banking commercial I've seen.

NONE of the reps seemed to pick up on the fact that no other websites were affected and kept trying to restore my internet service. I love it when people listen to what you're saying.

In short, they did not see any blacklists and said they wouldn't be able to tell if their ISP had blacklisted or blocked a particular website.

I just don't know where to go from here. I think I jumped thru all the available hoops, but that's why I come here... more hoops to be revealed!

7. 2014/11/21
    Arie

Arie Administrator Administrator Staff

Contact the website. First get your IP address when browsing from home: http://www.whatsmyip.org/

Give them the IP. Most likely they are blocking your home IP address.

Arie,
  8. 2014/11/21

Further infoBetter than that, I had a branestorm and connected the laptop direct to the modem. Guess what? I'm an opinionated jerk. It IS the router.

Now, I'm gobsmacked to discover that my superb intelect wouldn't listen to those who were trying to help, for which I apologize.

Up to now: I connected the laptop to the wireless (thru the router) and still got the "Forbidden" message, then connected direct to the modem, restarted that, and the connexion came right through.

I had been setting up a wireless printer (which the XP machine was being difficult about seeing) and had gone back to an ethernet connexion from XP to router and wireless for the other two, which allowed all three to use the printer, and this problem started a day or so after that, but I'll be switched if I can figure out what I might have done with (to) the router or it's settings which would block only THAT specific website.

SO: do I start a new thread in a more appropriate area or continue on with this one to repair whatever idiocies I perpetrated on the router and the wireless connexion?

Still highly confused about the whole thing...

(just FYI: Went back to old configuration of all units going thru router and am again unable to connect with "that" website.)

Last edited: 2014/11/21
  9. 2014/11/23

Update and closure:

Ordered another router. Didn't come in yesterday, so my Grandkids took out to dinner as a consolation prize: Came home and the router was working again.

I think ordering the new router scared it.

I just LOVE computers!

Thanks to all for the assistance... as usual, 4.0 effort!

CLOSED