1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Matrox G550 not working

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by Kenn, 2014/11/14.

1. 2014/11/14
    Kenn

Kenn Inactive Thread Starter

I have been using a Matrox G550 dual monitor display card for a few years.
    The other day I booted up and all I can get is the mouse pointer. Nothing
    else shows on the display. I installed the G550 in another computer and it
    worked fine. I also installed the old single monitor card and it works as
    well. Why would my old display card work and the G550 just show me the
    mouse?

Thanks
    Kenn

Kenn,
  2. 2014/11/14
    antik

antik Well-Known Member

My first thought would be an undesirable interaction between recent Windows updates and the drivers or accessory software that control the card.

You could test that by using system restore or a drive image to go back to a point in time before the problem appeared, or uninstall the updates and see if that resolves the problem.

You might also try changing the settings for resolution, refresh rate, etc. to the safe native default for the monitors, and test the monitors one at a time on each of the ports.

You may get more replies if you enter the details of the affected system, and add them your profile:

How to add system specifications to your profile

Note: To have your system specifications displayed in your profile, you have to click the link Edit Options, and under Thread Display Options< System Specifications select Yes from the drop-down menu.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2014/11/15
    Bill

Bill SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

If me, I would swap in a known good power supply and see what happens before doing anything else.

Bill,
  5. 2014/11/20
    Kenn

Kenn Inactive Thread Starter

I am thinking it is a software update. It can't be worked on when the card is installed
    because there is nothing on the screen. I will need to install a single monitor card and
    then try and remove some up dates

Kenn,
  6. 2014/11/20
    Bill

Bill SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

I don't see this being a software update problem, unless you just applied the update and it failed immediately after that. But if it works with your single monitor card, you could install that, then uninstall the Matrox drivers and start from scratch installing that again.

Bill,