1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved Recurring cmos error

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by vshetty7, 2014/11/14.

1. 2014/11/14
    vshetty7

vshetty7 Inactive Thread Starter

"The firmware has detected that a CMOS battery failure occured. press the enter to continue "
    after pressing enter it's says
    "The firmware has detected that a CMOS checksum error occourd.press the enter to continue "
    after pressing enter again and it's says
    "The firmware has detected that the system date/ time has not been set.press the enter to continue "
    after log on by pressing enter then my date is set as 01/01/2004 and time set as 12.00AM
    there for every time after log on I have to set the correct date and time.

EVEN AFTER I HAVE CHANGED THE BATTERY THIS ERROR KEEPS POPING UP (THE ONE SHOWN ABOVE) AND THIS WINDOWS BOOT SCREEN APPEARS AFTER THAT ERROR.Windows Boot Manager directing me to choose an operating system to start. Windows 7 is highlighted, and I have to hit enter to continue startup. At the bottom of the screen shows Tools - Windows Memory Diagnostic.
    AND RECENTLY MY WINDOWS CRASHED (WAS NOT STARTING AFTER THE ANIMATION OF WINDOWS LOGO IT RESTARTED ITSELF AFTER THAT) I SUSPECT SOMETHING IS WRONG WITH THIS SYSTEM THEN I FORMATED THE HD WINDOWS IS WORKING FINE NOW BUT THE CMOS ERROR AND BOOT MANAGER DOES NOT APPEAR TO DISAPPEAR. (EVEN AFTER PUTTING NEW BATTERY & TRIED RESETING THE JUMPER AS WELL). ARE THE ABOVE MENTIONED PROBLEMS RELATED TO ONE ANOTHER.NEED HELP
    THANKS IN ADVANCE

2. 2014/11/14
    Evan Omo

Evan Omo Computer Support Technician Staff

Hi vshetty7. Have you updated your motherboards BIOS to the latest version? Have you gone into the BIOS setup and reset the values back to default? Is the date and time correct in the BIOS utility?

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2014/11/15
    vshetty7

1.)Since i have limited computer knowledge, can you tell me the procedure to update bios.
    2.)yes i have reseted all values to default but problem gets solved while restarting the pc but reoccurs after shutting down & waiting fr 2 mins and then again starting.
    3.)no the date and time is incorect in bios but after corecting it and restarting the pc solves but again goes back to same after shuting down and starting.
    4) sir is the other problems i have mentioned in the first post related ?

5. 2014/11/15
    lj50 Lifetime Subscription

lj50 SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

What's the PC Make and Model?

lj50,
  6. 2014/11/15
    vshetty7

It's an assembled PC not purchased as a single brand product if you know what I mean

7. 2014/11/15
    Evan Omo

Here is the download link for the latest BIOS update based on the specifications listed in your profile, BIOS Update [NL94510J.86i].

On the download page choose the .exe file and download it. Make sure to disable all extra background programs to avoid any conflicts with the update. I would recommend following this link, How to perform a clean boot in Windows and then run the BIOS update utility.

Also just in case, make sure to backup your data in case something goes wrong.

8. 2014/11/15
    lj50 Lifetime Subscription

lj50 SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Yes I know what you mean and thank you for the info.

lj50,
  9. 2014/11/15
    Whiskeyman Lifetime Subscription

Whiskeyman Inactive Alumni

Before updating the bios I would double check the voltage of the battery. Many times CR 2032 batteries are not fresh when bought and the voltages low. Make sure it is putting out close to 3 volts, the board should retain it's settings with 2 volts. Also check that the battery is tight in the holder and that the + side is in the correct position. Make sure the jumper is placed at the 1-2 position.

Intel DD945GCNL Product Guide

10. 2014/11/16
    MrBill

MrBill SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Got to agree with Whiskeyman. The CMOS battery is bad. They are a cheap fix. Couple of bucks at most stores and very easy to change. CR 2032 will be the one to use on 99% of the PC's. Just watch the way it comes out and put it back in the same way. Go into the bios and reset the date and time and you should be good to go. I have had times when it would let me boot all the way into Windows and I could change the date and time there and it would stay.

11. 2014/11/16
    vshetty7

1.)well started off with evan omo's suggestion of updating bios with clean boot, the update was successful but the problem resurfaced.
    2.) tried with whiskeyman's approach many times earlier but was not able to solve
    3.)MR.Bill even i had faced this error some two years back but back then after setting manually time for some days the problem got solved but this time its over eight months now added with this boot manager option and even my windows crashed.

12. 2014/11/17
    Evan Omo

Let me give you some more information which may help make this issue easier to understand what is going on.

In your computer, specifically on your motherboard there is a memory chip called the BIOS (Basic Input Output System) which contains all of the basic instructions that tell your motherboard how to operate. Some of these settings cannot be written to or changed because they are stored as read only memory (ROM), therefore they don't need any power to save them. However, some of these settings including the date and time, the types of drives installed on the computer, the system bus speed, etc. are all configurable by the user so they can be changed. To remember these user configurable settings the motherboard has a second type of memory called CMOS which can be written to, but requires a small electrical current in order to retain the information. So the CMOS is powered by a battery and because of the battery all of your settings are saved even when the computer is turned off or disconnected from a power source. Normally the batteries will last several years. However, they do eventually die. The PSU will consume some power when the computer is shut down as long as the power supply's main switch remains on or the computer isn’t physically disconnected from the power grid (this is known as standby power/mode, or the G3 state). In this state the power from the wall will supersede the CMOS battery so your settings will be retained even if the battery is dead.

The checksum is the calculation of the lowest byte of information stored in the CMOS and it changes with every user setting that is modified. Every time you turn on your computer you prompt a recalculation of the checksum and if the stored value doesn't match the new value such as when resetting the BIOS then you will end up with what's called a checksum error. Sometimes a weak connection between the battery and the motherboard can lead to a CMOS error so make sure the battery is installed properly and that it isn't loose.

Another possibility is your power supply or motherboard could be having issues. When the power supply first starts up it takes a little time to generate stable and sufficient direct current power to operate the system safely. To prevent the computer from starting up prematurely and causing all sorts of problems the power supply puts out a signal to the motherboard called Power Good/Power OK/PWR OK to make sure everything is ready. Until this signal has been sent, the motherboard will refuse to start up the computer. Now if you haven't been shutting down your computer properly where you have pulled the power cord out of the PSU while the computer is running then that can cause a CMOS error as well.

Also capacitors are stressed out the most when switched on after being unplugged from a supply of electricity. It wouldn't hurt to inspect the motherboard and pay attention to the capacitors to see if any of them are bulging or leaking electrolytes.

Lastly, you should unplug all extra peripheral devices including any extra internal or external hard drives and see if that makes any difference.

13. 2014/11/18
    vshetty7

Well Read you're reply three times to understand it completely.To be honest some part I understood and some I did not because of the technical language.

1.)my pc is on for 12 hours even after shutting down it is on for more 4 hours because of wifi adapter connected to spike guard its in G3 state as You mentioned.

2.)My battery is well connected maybe that socket which holds my battery is faulty.

3.) i had replaced my PSU last month because it the earlier one was not working (I did not mention this fact earlier because I thought it was irrelevant & also because the problem was existing with my old PSU also). And I have never pulled the power cord out of the PSU while the computer is running

4.) Now I guess my motherboard must have become faulty also it was purchased in 2007

Anyway thanks for your time and sharing the knowledge it was really helpful sir.

14. 2014/11/18
    Evan Omo

I would still try disconnecting all extra peripheral devices from the machine and see if the CMOS error comes up. If the error continues to occur then your motherboard or power supply may be causing the issue as I said previously.

Wait so can you fully shut the computer down or is it in sleep mode when you shut the machine off?

15. 2014/11/19
    vshetty7

Ok I will remove extra peripherals and then try.

Yes the machine is fully shut down it is not in the sleep mode.

16. 2014/11/19
    MrBill

MrBill SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Did you replace the battery or just check it?