1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved Catching and deleting all temp files in Word

Discussion in 'Security and Privacy' started by g.watson, 2014/10/26.

1. 2014/10/26
    g.watson

g.watson Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Hello. I want to create a file in MS Word which I can save onto a flash drive to take with me when I travel, containing a lot of private info including passwords, etc. On the flash drive I intend to password-protect the file. Since I'll be using it only to briefly read the data I need and then ejecting it, Word password protection seems adequate.

But I'm concerned about the various temp files Word saves while I'm creating and saving the file onto the flash drive (I don't intend to save it on the HD). It seems to me that several versions of a Word file, starting from the first bit of writing, and then all the various stages up to and including the final version, get saved temporarily on the HD, and that all of these could contain various bits of the file in clear-text, unprotected format.

How can I be sure that all traces of the file on the HD are wiped once it's saved onto the flash drive? Both while originally creating it, and also when updating it with subsequent edits?

Many thanks for suggestions.

2. 2014/10/26
    Steve R Jones

Steve R Jones SuperGeek Staff

Print out the Word doc and use the hard copy;)

My temp files get created in the same folder where the original file is opened from AND they go away when I close the doc file...

And then there's the build in Disk Cleanup and will clear out temp files that don't automatically get deleted.

But sure and tie a cord to the flash drive and the other end to your body somewhere so that you to lay it down and forget it.

I've been meaning to get the program called KeyPass... The passwords are stored on their web site and you access them through their application..If you get a new pc, you install the app and BOOM, you have access to all of the passwords. You only have to remember One password and it to their site.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2014/10/26
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

5. 2014/10/27
    g.watson

g.watson Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Many thanks, Steve and Neil - I was aware of Disk Cleanup, but not sure whether it would find all the temp files Word created. You've reassured me.

Steve: yes, I use a hard-copy printout at home. The USB version is only for when I'm on the road.