1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved What is FONT.MAP and why is it on my desktop?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by frayedknotarts, 2014/10/24.

1. 2014/10/24
    frayedknotarts Lifetime Subscription

frayedknotarts Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Since the OS is XP-SP3, I'll put this here...

As we all fondly remember, XP constantly requires restarts for one reason or another (It's Tuesday, and a cloud went across the sun) and it seems every time I do restart, I wind up with an icon for "FONT.MAP" on the desktop. Clicking on it and following the investigation it seems that the extension ">MAP" was most usually associated with the "Quake" game or any of a plethora of indecipherable older programs, none of which (I'm fairly sure) I have ever had on the computer.

I can send it to Recycle with no apparent consequences, but it comes back each time after awhile.

I R confuzed. Is this one of those "Bronco Billy" questions a fifth-grader should know already?

2. 2014/10/24
    lj50 Lifetime Subscription

lj50 SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Did you try a System Restore from a date before the problem started.

lj50,
    frayedknotarts likes this.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2014/10/24
    frayedknotarts Lifetime Subscription

frayedknotarts Well-Known Member Thread Starter

It's been "a problem" (more like an annoyance) for quite some time... it just never annoyed me sufficiently to go looking for the cause until now.

5. 2014/10/24
    Evan Omo

Evan Omo Computer Support Technician Staff

Hi frayedknotarts. There were no hits on Google as to what this file is so I would first try performing a clean boot by following this link, How to configure Windows XP to start in a "clean boot" state and see if the file comes back on the desktop when the computer is in a clean boot state.

Also since we don't know if the file is dangerous you should upload it to https://www.virustotal.com/ and see what the results are for that file.

6. 2014/10/24
    lj50 Lifetime Subscription

lj50 SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Evan Omo: The first thing I did was a google search. The only reference I found was to the Character Map.

lj50,
  7. 2014/10/25
    Evan Omo

Evan Omo Computer Support Technician Staff

Since you marked this thread as resolved I am assuming you resolved the issue?