1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved Need Advice on Monitor for 96-year-old Eyes

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by Alex Ethridge, 2014/10/22.

1. 2014/10/22
    Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge Well-Known Member Thread Starter

My 96-year-old father-in-law's vision is fading. He's been complaining that his 6-year-old 24-inch LCD HP monitor isn't bright enough. Tonight, I took my one of my 27-inch Hanns-G monitors to his house and connected it. He says it is brighter and told me to get him one.

Well, now I'm wondering about brightness and contrast and whether one with even better numbers might do even better for him; but, I don't know anything much about such ratings.

Please advise me.

2. 2014/10/22
    Evan Omo

Evan Omo Computer Support Technician Staff

Hi Alex. If you haven't done so, on the 24 inch monitor did you try increasing the brightness and the contrast in the settings of the monitor?

If the monitor is many years old then the monitors LED backlight could be starting to fail but I would verify that the display settings for the brightness and contrast are set to a higher value before buying a new monitor.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2014/10/22
    Alex Ethridge

Yes, already did that.

Money is not a problem and I can tell, myself, that at its brightest, his isn't as bright as mine.

I need a better understanding of the ratings and which ratings might make a difference for him. Also, I just discovered they don't make the Hanns-G like mine any more so I have to get some understanding of the numbers to be sure I get something that will help him.

Here's a page with the specs on mine.

5. 2014/10/23
    MrBill

MrBill SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Go to Worst Buy or one of the Office stores and they usually have some on display. Play with them and then when you find a good one, buy it.

6. 2014/10/23
    Alex Ethridge

That won't work. What I see and what he sees is different. Frankly, his current monitor looks fine to me; but, he sees a significant difference between his and mine that I can't see. He can't walk and cannot leave the house except for absolutely necessary things like hospital or doctor. So, he can't amble around a store and shop monitors like you and I.

I need help understanding the numbers and whether one or another set of numbers might work better for someone whose vision is fading.

7. 2014/10/23
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

8. 2014/10/23
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

9. 2014/10/24
    Alex Ethridge

Thanks to all for your comments. It is difficult to know what helps another see who has vision problems and the comments here have been helpful.

I have decided to buy locally which will make returning the monitor easier in the event the one I select for him doesn't work out. At least with the help I've gotten here I am more sure about what to look for.

10. 2014/10/24
    Evan Omo

Evan Omo Computer Support Technician Staff

Thanks for letting us know. :)