1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Get back the Classic Win 7 desktop

Discussion in 'Legacy Windows' started by muruga, 2014/10/20.

1. 2014/10/20
    muruga

muruga Well-Known Member Thread Starter

What is the best way to get back the function & look of the Win 7 desktop on a Win 8 computer.?

- found the App Start8 by Stardock - anyone know about this app, is it any good? Are there any problems associated with it? Other apps or methods you like better?

2. 2014/10/20
    virginia Lifetime Subscription

virginia Geek Member

I have 2 Windows 7 desktops and 2 Windows 8.1 laptops. I tried using the W8.1 and it's Metro screens on the laptops for a few days and then downloaded and installed Start8. I can't tell the difference between the 7 and 8.1 computers now. If I get another 8.1, the first thing I will do is install Start8.

Not pertinent to your Start8 question, I also downloaded another app that Stardock offers called "Fences" @ $9.99. Let's you organize your Start8 Desktop. I like it very well.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2014/10/20
    Evan Omo

Evan Omo Computer Support Technician Staff

Hi muruga.

If you want to make Windows 8.1 look and behave like Windows 7 then follow these steps:

1. Download a Start Menu replacement program. I personally prefer Start Is Back over Start8 since its more customizable than Start8 and its cheaper to buy. Start Is Back has plenty of options such as being able to boot directly to the desktop and you can use the program to disable all of the hot corners and the charms menu.

2. Install Classic Shell which adds some more functionality to Windows Explorer and Internet Explorer in Windows 8.1, Windows 7, and Windows Vista. Install all of the components except for the Classic Start Menu since the Start Is Back program is better than Classic Shells Start Menu. Download it from here, Classic Shell.

3. Disable the Lock screen if you don't need it, How to Disable the Lock Screen on Windows 8 Without Using Group Policy.

4. Download install the K-lite Codec Pack which allows Windows 8 to play any video or audio file type using Windows Media Player. The K-lite codec pack also allows you to play DVD's using Windows Media Player without having to purchase the extra Windows Media Center pack from Microsoft. Download it from here, K-Lite Codec Pack Standard.

5. If you want to make the User Account Control dialog boxes not dim the screen when they come up then follow the instructions in this link to disable that feature, Make User Account Control (UAC) Stop Blacking Out the Screen in Windows 8, 7 or Vista.

6. You can set up your default programs in Windows 8.1 so you don't have to deal with the Metro apps. See here, How to Set Your Default Programs in Windows 8.

7. On the Start Screen, if you will not be using Metro apps I would recommend uninstalling all of them from your machine so they no longer present a privacy risk, How to Close and Uninstall Windows 8 Style Metro Apps.

8. You can turn off Privacy features on the Metro apps as well, How to Control Your Privacy in Windows 8.

9. You can set up a local user account instead of using a Microsoft account if you care about privacy, Change to a local account in Windows 8.1.

5. 2014/11/15
    muruga

muruga Well-Known Member Thread Starter

classic shell looks very good - will try that 1rst.
    many thanks

6. 2014/12/06
    Evan Omo

Evan Omo Computer Support Technician Staff

From a PM:

Thread has been marked as Resolved.