1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved Viewing photos

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Tidalwaves, 2014/10/05.

1. 2014/10/05
    Tidalwaves

Tidalwaves Inactive Thread Starter

So another problem I'm having with Win7 is it's new image viewer and the fact that no 3rd party image viewers can seem to sync up with folders where the files or photos are sorted customary, pic 4 > Pic 23 > Timbuktu...

Say I set the pics in that order. No third party image viewer can remember image positions. So why not just use Win Photo Viewer? Have you ever zoomed in on any 32 bit pics you took and transfered over to a 64 bit Win & system? They're extremely pixilated and everything about it just seems off. Even the colors of the photos.

Anyone got an easy fix for this? Because it's driving me lazy.

2. 2014/10/05
    SpywareDr

SpywareDr SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Sounds like you may have transferred a thumbnail of the pic, instead of the pic itself. :eek:

The bittedness of the Operating System doesn't really have anything to do with that of a picture. A "bit ", short for binary digit, is the smallest unit of information on a machine. A single bit can hold only one of two values: 0 or 1. More meaningful information is obtained by combining consecutive bits into larger units. For example, a byte is composed of 8 consecutive bits.

Computers are sometimes classified by the number of bits they can process at one time or by the number of bits they use to represent addresses. These two values are not always the same, which leads to confusion. For example, classifying a computer as a 32-bit machine might mean that its data registers are 32 bits wide or that it uses 32 bits to identify each address in memory. Whereas larger registers make a computer faster, using more bits for addresses enables a machine to support larger programs.

Graphics are also often described by the number of bits used to represent each dot. A 1-bit image is monochrome; an 8-bit image supports 256 colors or grayscales; and a 24- or 32-bit graphic supports true color.

Source: Webopedia: bit

Tidalwaves likes this.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2014/10/06
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Last edited: 2014/10/06
    Tidalwaves likes this.
  5. 2014/10/06
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

32 bit and 64 bit have nothing at all to do with viewing images. If the images are not as vibrant and resolute on a 64 bit computer then the problem is either the images themselves or the graphics adapter or its settings.

Tidalwaves likes this.
  6. 2014/10/07
    Tidalwaves

I have easy transfer and the cords and everything, these are pics on an external hard drive. So I'm using 3rd party software to view photos but it's not letting me keep them in the order I set them in manually as it did in XP. So I've got quality control wrapped up, but the image order thing is extremely annoying. I'm on the developers forum right now trying to troubleshoot it but everyone's drawing a blank. At the end of the day, I'll probably get 2/3 of my pics renamed and restructured before some ultra easy fix jumps out in front of me like a stray dog in the rain.

Oh well, I'm living with it. Windows Photo Viewer simply doesn't smooth it's images like Win Pic&Fax did. One more note, it's not like I only got back thumbnails, the pics are the same size just really, really crappy looking in WPV. It's frustrating that this is an "upgrade" that degrades certain files, but what are you going to do? I'll keep fishing for answers.

Thanks.

7. 2014/10/07
    masterroming

masterroming Well-Known Member

So the image quality issue is solved when using the Third-Party image viewer, is that correct?

If that's the case, the images themselves weren't the issue.

As for the sorting, are you viewing these images inside the default Windows Explorer, or inside of this "Third-Party image viewer "?

Tidalwaves likes this.
  8. 2014/10/08
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

What are the average dimensions of these images? (resolution)

Also, have you tried Microsoft's free Windows Essentials Photo Gallery? Go here, download it, and during the install deselect all but Photo Gallery and Movie Maker (if want movie maker).

Tidalwaves likes this.
  9. 2014/11/17
    Tidalwaves

***I'm writing a lot of stuff here but I feel like we may have forgotten what the issue actually is. I tend to ramble and I'm sorry, it's my fault. But if you don't want to read the War and Peace lengthened post below, just skip to the 3 asterisks at the bottom and maybe the rest of the post will make sense. This may be something Win7 just can't do. It seems so simple but I'm not a OS creator, there may have been complications with incorporating XP's ability to recognize manual image order and image smoothing with whatever they deemed as being crucial to the OS upgrade and decided to ditch that ability altogether. But what do I know?

Kinda sorta kinda...it varies from image to image. I think at this point expectations have been lowered to the point where any slight improvement is considered tolerable. Whatever the case, my blood pressure has lowered.

Yes, blaming the images would be like blaming the victim of a crime. The OS should present the images as taken as opposed to the images adjusting to the new OS. I've found a few photos that have been altered dramatically, for the worst, but I'm pretty good little editor and have restored most of them.

Here's where my inexperience reveals itself as this question confuses me, but I'll try to answer it to the best of my ability. From what I understand, or think I understand, I always start out viewing thumbnails for the photos in Windows Explorer. When I select an image to view, it opens in the new default program (xnview)

Irregardless of what program I use, be it XnView or Win Photo Viewer, manual arrangements are not recognized in either program on Win 7. In XP mode, all is well but, you know...it's XP Mode. It's slow, it's sluggish and I'm debating getting rid of it altogether. If I feel I absolutely have to have XP, I'll just back my files up and install it. I was thinking of making another partition but I'm not sure that's a good idea due to the limitations of space on the computer. Now, thinking about this a bit further I'm really glad you asked the question because there is one other irritation I'm noticing in explorer, where the folder views seem to change whenever a folder is moved or if there is any slight alteration to the folder. Meaning I constantly have to keep going back and forth and resetting my preferences like viewing thumbnails as opposed to "list" or "details" or "small icons" etc. So I'm just face palming most the time and re-raking the proverbial leaves the proverbial kids just jumped in. Win7 is a lot of work in order to make it an enjoyable experience. I'm frustrated and disappointed, but I don't know what to do.

As looking into this has become quite tiresome and fruitless, along with football season starting, I regret to inform you that I've just kind of thrown up my hands for the moment. The Arizona Cardinals are 9-1 this year, we're knocking off good teams and Phoenix is hosting the Superbowl. So Cardinalmania has swept over my household and I'm more concerned keeping up to date on every single little thing going on within the organization rather than trying to fix that which I don't think can be fixed.

There's also some health issues, but the Cardinals are more important.

I have a program, another old XP program, that can rename and therefore resort images to my satisfaction. In batches. So there's that and I'm tankful for it. But again, problem is that's A LOT of work as I must have a billion images. Some fortunately are already sorted by name but many I had to name myself because I used a screen capture program or whatever and they won't do renaming for you.

To put this long story out of it's misery, I've just learned to accept that, as Merle Haggard said, "the best of the free life's behind us now, and the good times are really over for good." Life's a ... female dog, but it's how you DEAL with the female dog. And I'm dealing with it.

It varies. I take a lot of screencaps so those obviously won't always be the best quality. However, they seem to be of worse quality in Win7. I immediately went to one of my more used screencap folders and looked for resolution under properties and no information is given. I'd say the average size, in pixels, is from anywhere to 250-500 pixels in both width and height. Probably doesn't answer your question. I think my issue is that I'm all over the place with these things, sometimes I save images meant to be saved as is, and others are screencaps and subject to the video's size, resolution and...whatever technical stuff beyond my comprehension.

I don't think so but I could be wrong. It's worth a shot, I guess. Look, let's start over here...I feel like we're trailing off the path. It's my fault. They've got me on medication and so I tend to get lost in space.

What I want is to be able to arrange pics manually in Win Explorer by simply moving thumbnails around. In XP, this was possible. With 7, it's not. I have to rename everything. That's it, that's all. So I'll give this other program a try and if it doesn't do the trick, the OS must not allow it and I'll have to rename a few hundred million images as i come acrossed them.

Anyway, thanks for your patience and sorry this thread was neglacted. It wasn't purposeful, I've just had a lot going on and this issue seems unfixable. Is that a word? It's underlined. Let's hear it for public education, everyone! *clap clap clap*

Anyway, thanks for your suggestions and assistance and I'll check back in within a week.

10. 2014/11/17
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

That's a very low resolution image by today's standards, less than a 10 dollar 1 megapixel digital camera.

Using Print Screen key to capture screenshots of the entire screen can't be any larger than the screen video resolution (dimensions). Capturing just the active window in a screen shot is even smaller if the window is not full screen. These are low resolution images, OK for reference & the Web, but not for zooming in or printing.

Tidalwaves likes this.
  11. 2014/11/19
    Tidalwaves

What say I take that 500 and raise you uh...750?

No, I think you nailed it. You're right. Even my screen is bigger so this may be something I just have to get used to...to a certain extent. Now, not to beat the dead horse but Windows Photo Viewer's handling of these images is atrocious. Any image smoothing would make them viewable to me, but they don't seem to either provide that or not very much of it.

I'll go in, edit pictures, blur them up a bit and it look fine in WinPic&Fax and XN View. Also, for the short time I had it, had no idea it was a trial program, Maxview.

You know what? I'm content. I'm over it. Image quality is going to take a hit, even with 3rd party software from time to time. I'll survive.

Let's mark this thread resolved or put it on hiatus for right now as I still haven't tried Windows Essentials Photo Gallery as recommended above. I DLed it but it's just sitting on my desktop. I'm having some hanging issues with Win7 that is more urgent to me at the moment, so I think I'll need to find proper forum to get into that with. It's your call, we can just shift gears on this one if you want. I'm throwing that out there because I'm not going to start it yet. Busy busy busy, you know how it is. The computer is fast 90% of the time with no issues...but 90% might be too low a percentage for me as compared to older, crappier computers the daily hanging (usually not effecting the mouse) was never that frequent. Now it's, as I said, daily. But as I also said, it doesn't effect the mouse most of the time

Anyway, I won't elaborate any further, I'll save it for the right time or if you decide so, the right place, in another subforum. But let's consider the image thing a dead issue. The sorting, I don't know about that. I have software to rename everything so I just have to get to work on it in my spare time.

I thank everyone for their input and will check back to see what your final word is. Then we can get to this hanging issue either here or somewhere else.

12. 2014/11/19
    masterroming

As the hanging is a separate issue to the image quality one, you would need to create a new thread.

The same Windows 7 Sub-Forum you posted this thread in will be the one you're looking for, just start a new thread when you're ready for it.

Last edited: 2014/11/19
    Tidalwaves likes this.
  13. 2014/11/20
    Tidalwaves

Alright then, we'll wrap this one up and we'll get to the hanging ASAP. I want to observe the times it does it more closely anyway, to see if I can connect it to any programs, HDD issues or whatever. I'm assuming you'll want to know what I'm up to when these hangings occur. As of now it seems random and unpredictable.

Enough about that. I would like to thank everyone and I will now bury the departed. Not totally solved but a fix exists. It's just not microwavable. No instant gratification on that one. It's OK, I still prefer an oven anyway.

Thanks again.

14. 2014/11/20
    masterroming

You're more than welcome :)

Tidalwaves likes this.