1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Windows Explorer Shuts Down

Discussion in 'Legacy Windows' started by kenk, 2014/09/26.

1. 2014/09/26
    kenk

kenk Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I first posted this problem some months ago when I upgraded to Win 8.1 Pro but it was never resolved so I learned to live with it. After the computer has been running for some time (I never turn it off) and I go to the Start screen, as I move my cursor across the icons, they disappear. If I click on where one should be, it still activates the program. Secondly, sometimes when starting my IE11 the screen only covers the top half of the monitor. I can click on it to expand it, but I don't know why it occasionally does this. Lastly, sometimes when I go to print, the print screen window appears at the back of all of the other windows and I have to dig for it.

My drivers are all current. I scan nightly for malware and viruses with two malware programs and Norton Internet Security which update hourly. I went on line and dug for an answer and it was suggested to do a Windows System Scan. I did so and it said "Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them. Details are included in the CBS.log." I went to the log and there must be several hundred lines of script that are Greek to me.

Is there somebody that I could get to look at this log and tell me what they see?

Does anybody else have any suggestions. I can keep doing what I am now
    (Open Task Manager, go to Windows Explorer which is sitting a 0% and hit Restart) when this problem occurs, but I'd certainly rather it just worked.

Thanks in advance for any input.

kenk,
  2. 2014/09/26
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Hi kenk, With your ongoing problems and the fact that you have done a scan and found corrupt files, I would be inclined to do a Non-destructive reinstall of W8.1.
    https://www.winhelp.us/non-destructive-reinstall-of-windows-8-and-8-1.html
    I would only have the operational HDD connected which currently has your W8.1 OS installed. Disconnect any peripherals and start afresh. Neil.

3. to hide this advert.