1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved High Memory Usage

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Chris, 2014/09/22.

1. 2014/09/22
    Chris

Chris Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I noticed a slight sluggish performance with my desktop computer. I see just sitting, the hard drive light is really working.

I see in Task Manager I'm using all of my 8GB's of RAM.

Scanned for viruses (eset online, MS Security Essentials, Mailwarebytes) all have turned up nothing.

I'm not sure what to do.

Here is a screen shot of my Resource Monitor.

Attached Files:

2. 2014/09/22
    antik

antik Well-Known Member

The Resource Monitor listing is in descending order, so the one at the very top is the one using the most memory.

Take a look at this explanation of SearchIndexer.exe

What Is SearchIndexer.exe?

It is a Windows system process that normally runs when the computer is idle, and is not likely to be the reason for your computer running slowly during regular work.

The article gives instructions for modifying the search process.

(Quote) How Can I Make SearchIndexer Use Less RAM or CPU?

"Your best option is to cut down on the amount of data that you’re indexing—there’s usually no reason to index every single file on your drive. You’ll need to open up the Indexing Options through the Control Panel or Start Menu search box to make the changes. "

"The first thing you should notice is the Pause button on this window, which can pause indexing for up to 15 minutes—useful if you’re trying to do something and Windows Search happens to be in overdrive mode, though it really shouldn’t since it only runs while your PC is idle. "

The second item on the list is NisSrv.exe which is the Norton Internet Security service. If NIS is checking each file before allowing a process to proceed that will certainly slow things down.

The third item on the list is wmpnetwk.exe which is the Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service. When this service is running it uses a lot of system resources and slows performance. This is the service responsible for sharing media files across the network with devices using Universal Plug and Play. Not necessary to run at startup. If you don't use WMP to share media files, you can disable this service, otherwise keep it at manual. It is set by default to run every time you start the computer.

Last edited: 2014/09/22

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2014/09/22
    Evan Omo

Evan Omo Computer Support Technician Staff

Hi happydog500.

Lets see what is starting up with the machine.

Please download and run Autoruns. After you download the zipped folder on your desktop, right click the zipped folder and click Extract All. After the folder has been extracted open the regular folder. Run the autoruns.exe program by right clicking on it and selecting Run as administrator. When you open the program click the Logon Tab and then post a screenshot of the Logon Tab in your next reply.

Are you paying for Norton Internet Security by the way?

5. 2014/09/22
    Chris

I don't have Norton, never did at all. No sign of it anywhere (except what you pointed out).

Maybe this is a big clue.

Chris.

6. 2014/09/23
    Evan Omo

Click Start< Control Panel< Uninstall a program and remove any Symantec/Norton entries in the program list.

Then download and run the Norton Removal Tool.

7. 2014/09/23
    Chris

Haven't used my desktop yet today, but what about Revo uninstaller? Do I have to use Norton tool?
    I'll post back when I can get to my desktop. I will be amazed to see Norton there.

Chris.

8. 2014/09/23
    Chris

No Norton or Symantec.

Chris.

9. 2014/09/23
    Evan Omo

Did you run the Norton Removal Tool anyway? I saw the NisSrv.exe running in your processes from the screenshot which is from Norton Internet Security.

I still need you to post a screenshot of the Logon Tab from Autoruns.

10. 2014/09/23
    antik

antik Well-Known Member

Chris, if you are not familiar with Autoruns, it is a free diagnostic tool developed by Mark Russinovich and Bryce Cogswell and offered through Microsoft TechNet.

It runs as a standalone utility and does not install as part of your system or make changes to the registry. Mark Russinovich is a Technical Fellow in the Cloud and Enterprise Division at Microsoft with a B.S. in computer engineering from Carnegie Mellon University, an M.S. in computer engineering from Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute and a Ph.D. in computer engineering from Carnegie Mellon.

Autoruns is an excellent tool for finding out what is really happening.

The Norton Removal Tool is a run-once tool that does not install or make registry changes. Obviously, no one knows better than Norton how to find and remove all traces of their product. Malware can name itself NisSrv.exe to look innocent, so it's important to be certain whether this process is or is not from Norton.

Last edited: 2014/09/23
  11. 2014/09/24
    hawk22

hawk22 Geek Member

Hi antik,

what do you think about using Reg-edit and have a look in the Registry if there are any bits and pieces floating around.
    I had to use it once to eliminate AVG it was uninstalled I also used the AVG un-installer, but there was still a number of entries in the Registry, only after deleting every entry of AVG in the Registry was my comp clear of it.

Only my thoughts
    hawk22

12. 2014/09/24
    antik

antik Well-Known Member

Hi hawk22 - You have the experience and confidence to do that. Registry entries can be obscure, and we only know what the OP chooses to tell us. Not the same as having the machine sitting there in front of you. Have to always remind myself "primum non nocere" - first do no harm. Evan's approach is safe, logical and constructive.

13. 2014/09/24
    Chris

I did the Norton removable anyway, no fix. I will go to my desktop computer and try the autoruns.

I used to use reg edits for years until my computer got hosed. Since then, plus with Leo's advice, I try and stay away from them. I don't think a few hundred or even a few thousand lines will mater to much in Windows 7.

I'm back, here is my screen shot.

Thank you,
    Chris.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: 2014/09/24
  14. 2014/09/24
    Chris

P.S.
    My hard drive (SSD) light is almost full on all the time. CPU useage is 40% - 50% with all 8GB of RAM used up.

15. 2014/09/24
    antik

antik Well-Known Member

In Task Manager, which processes are showing constant cpu activity?

16. 2014/09/24
    Chris

Always thought firefox was the most until I checked, "Show Processes from all users. "

WDFME.exe SYSTEM 7,100,616K WD File Management Engine.

Chris.

17. 2014/09/24
    Chris

Stopped WD in Startup, now it went down to 5.5GB.

Chris.

18. 2014/09/24
    antik

antik Well-Known Member

That process is associated with Western Digital Smartware for their external drives. Do you have a WD external drive connected?

What happens if you kill that process?

19. 2014/09/24
    Chris

OK, I "did" have an external drive, but I unhooked it a few days a go to eliminate it.

I killed it, went down to 1.6GB. In a few minutes it jumped back up, so I uninstalled it.
    Seems to of fixed it.

At first, it may seem like it was backing up and using all the RAM, but it doesn't take a weeks to back up. Plus, I had it unhooked for a few days, so it isn't backing up anything.

I would like to have the software for this, any ideas of what I can do to install it and not have it take up all the resources?
    Thank you,
    Chris.

20. 2014/09/24
    antik

antik Well-Known Member

Western Digital Smartware is all back-up utilities and accessories. It's not needed for using the drive.

In Control Panel, Add/Remove programs, do you have Smartware installed? Do you use it?

21. 2014/09/24
    antik

antik Well-Known Member

There have been problems in the past with Smartware and WD supposedly fixed it in a newer version. If you want to use it, I would download the latest version directly from WD.

This appears to be where to get it:

WD Smartware Update

Last edited: 2014/09/24