1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Windows Vista Vista: Microsoft Services in System Config

Discussion in 'Legacy Windows' started by JTee, 2014/09/17.

1. 2014/09/17
    JTee

JTee Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Many of the microsoft services in System Configuration indicate they are 'stopped'. I was told this means someone may have remote control of my computer and that these are the reasons my computer runs slow, locks up, webpages are unresponsive and scripts are long running; that my computer needs cleaning; that these services are needed and I cannot turn these back on myself.:eek:

JTee,
  2. 2014/09/17
    Evan Omo

Evan Omo Computer Support Technician Staff

Hi JTee. Don't use the System Configuration Utility to enable and disable Windows Services. Click Start< Run and type services.msc and hit enter.

When the services window opens compare your services list with this one and make sure the services are set to the appropriate configurations, Black Viper’s Windows Vista Service Pack 2 Service Configurations.

Don't worry about disabling any services. Just manually make sure each service is set to their correct default startup type.

When done reboot the computer and if you are still having issues then we will go from there.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2014/09/17
    JTee

Thanks Evan; this is what that link shows (which do I choose):

Windows Vista SP2 Default Service Registry Patches are online as well as Windows Vista Retail Default Service Registry Patches and Windows Vista SP1Default Service Registry Patches.

Breakdown of all changes to date: Vista Information Changelog.

“Optional” services installed with Add/Remove Windows Components as well as Windows Live Essentials are included.

JTee,
  5. 2014/09/17
    Evan Omo

This is the link you should look at, Windows Vista SP2 Services Registry Files.

Choose the zipped folder appropriate to the version of Windows Vista that you are running and make sure to thoroughly read the information on that page before applying the registry patch.

6. 2014/09/17
    JTee

Evan, forgive my slowness and lack of understanding, but it seems I need someone to hold my hand and walk me through this. When I click on 'Start', no 'Run' presents; when I type 'services.msc' in the search field which appears, a webpage presents - I thoroughly do not know or understand what to do. When I click the link for the Sp2 Services Registry Files, above I see alot of information, and the zip file I believe is for my version, which is Basic Home 32 bit, May 31, 2009; I apparently do not have what is needed to open it on my computer. :confused:

Last edited: 2014/09/17
    JTee,
  7. 2014/09/17
    Evan Omo

For the zipped folder you just need to download it and click on Extract All to extract the contents of the folder. Then once that is done, open the regular folder and run the registry patch. Click Yes when asked if you want to merge this data in the registry.

Then reboot the computer for the changes to take effect.

8. 2014/09/18
    JTee

It doesn't give me the option to 'Extract All', only to save or open; when I choose open, then it wants me to choose what to open it with (Notepad, Windows or Internet Explorer, Windows Photo Gallery, Calendar, Media Player, Wordpad Application, Microsoft Office Word Viewer), but there is nothing on my computer to open a zip file with, so I downloaded Winzip 18.5, but it DOESN'T give the option to EXTRACT either, just to open. When I choose open, it gives me several risk messages including that there is a potential risk to opening the file & if I want to continue, which I indicate 'yes', then it does it's own thing and the next thing I get is that the keys and values contained in that file have successfully been added to he registry. I was never given anything to compare them to nor ever even seen what was added.:confused:

JTee,
  9. 2014/09/18
    Evan Omo

The registry file was an automated script to restore all the Windows services back to their default values which is what you ran.

So now tell me how is the computer running now?

10. 2014/09/18
    JTee

It's so late and I'm getting ready to go to bed, but I really think it's running fine, so I'm going to say things ar resolved. Thanks.:)

JTee,