1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved IE 9 Proxy in Vista Strange Setting

Discussion in 'Internet Explorer & Microsoft Edge' started by AlexH, 2014/09/08.

1. 2014/09/08
    AlexH

AlexH Just an Old Timer getting help ... Thread Starter

[FONT= "Verdana"]It may be related to Spybot , but IE 9 now defaults to 'localhost port 21213' and even if I change it back to 'no proxy' after a reboot, or after waking up from sleep mode, I have to do it all over again.

Spybot has been uninstalled, using Revo - which usually removes every part of an application - but apparently this doesn't have an effect.

I tried using Notepad in Admin mode, and removed everything attributed to Spybot from the localhost file, but again, no joy. The file I edited is located in Windows\system32\drivers\etc and this is a 32-bit system with Vista Service Pack 2.

If anybody has a suggestion on how to change it back to no proxy needed, or "Automatically Detect Settings" with no other boxes checked, please let me know.

Thank you very much.[/FONT]

2. 2014/09/08
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Last edited: 2014/09/08
    AlexH likes this.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2014/09/09
    AlexH

Any Port in a Storm?

Hi.

Thanks for the quick response.

I may have missed it, but I read through both postings you recommended, and did not find what I needed to remedy this issue. Yes, I can reset my IE9 on the laptop, but that's kind of drastic, like amputating a finger when I have a hangnail. :eek:

There must be a way to reset this one setting. After all, it was changed to that setting, so it has to be possible to change it back, without resetting the whole thing.

I had thought of trying to find that port number using Regedit, then seeing what happened if I either removed the key or changed it to null ...

Again, my thanks for your help,
    -a.

5. 2014/09/10
    SpywareDr

SpywareDr SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Did you try a simple Windows System Restore to roll back Windows to a point in time when your computer was functioning correctly? It allows you to undo system changes without affecting your personal files, such as e-mail, documents, or photos.

AlexH likes this.
  6. 2014/09/10
    AlexH

Hi there.

I would have done that, if it were possible. However, SpyBot was installed more than a year ago, and removed more than a few weeks ago. It is not possible to go back to before it was installed, and I believe that SpyBot is the cause of this problem.

Now I can do a reset on IE9, on the laptop, even though it is a PITA and I will, if I can't get relief some other way.

It seems to me that there is a way to stop the localhost causing a proxy to go to port 21230. Simply put, even though I check to box to not use any proxy and automatically look, or leave all boxes unchecked, it just defaults to that setting.

There has got to be a way to override a localhost port and proxy setting. I cannot believe it is so arcane and esoteric as to be a setting that is permanent. After all, what if I installed something else, which wanted a different setting? It would overwrite that one, and impose its own.

I did a quick look through Regedit and searched for the string of the port number. There are only two or three instances in the entire registry, so I wondered what would happen if I simply deleted that line, or set it to Zero (0).

But I've not had the guts to do that yet, sad to say. I used to be more adventurous a few years back.

Thanks for your help,

Alex

7. 2014/09/10
    SpywareDr

8. 2014/09/11
    AlexH

You do mean back up of the registry, yes?

9. 2014/09/11
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

You can either back up the entire registry or, more simply, export the entries that you intend to change before changing. Thereby you have a way back in if you want to revert.

AlexH likes this.
  10. 2014/09/11
    AlexH

[FONT= "Verdana"]I guess I will give it a try.

It's just that there must be a way to override that localhost proxy setting. BTW, the actual port is 21230.

Thanks again for your suggestions.[/FONT]

11. 2014/09/21
    AlexH

Many Thanks!

[FONT= "Verdana"]Thanks to everybody for their suggestions. I finally got time to reset IE9 on my laptop and all seems to be working well again.

I only need reset some of my favorite settings and add-ins, and I'm back in business.

Again, my thanks.[/FONT]

12. 2014/09/22
    SpywareDr

Excellent. :)

Please mark your thread as 'Resolved'.

AlexH likes this.
  13. 2014/09/23
    AlexH

Thread Pulled, Then Resolved!

[FONT= "Verdana"]The most important thing I could have done, once I solved this issue, was thank everybody who offered suggestions. That being said, here is the one that actually worked:
    ... No one suggested I do what I actually did ...

What did work was to use the so-called hidden partition, and return my laptop to the 'out of the box' condition. Given that I bought this puppy in 2007, I am still going through the updates for Windows Vista, and Service Packs, just to get it back to current, with all the requisite updates.

Once that has been completed, I will reinstall necessary applications and suites; I will leave out anything that I truly don't need; doing a needs analysis on my own system:).

And Yes, I marked the tread as solved, FWIW.

Again, my thanks to all who offered constructive suggestions, without criticism.[/FONT]
    Cheers!

14. 2014/09/23
    SpywareDr

Yeppir, that is one way to fix it. ;)

Once you get it set back up, do yourself a favor and start a backup regimen so you don't have to go through this PITA ordeal ever again.

15. 2014/09/24
    AlexH

I do use NOBU daily, but somehow, it didn't cover this problem. Even using reset for IE didn't fix it. I did search everywhere I could on all flavors of the string, and still was unable to find where it was.

Even using Regedit ... it did return the proxy number and I was tempted to simply delete that key - it appeared twice in the Registry - but realized that there were supporting lines in each section. I did a backup of both the whole registry and the two separate keys, then simply spit-canned it and did a complete rebuild.

It was cleaner and reminded me of the days when I started alpha/beta testing for Microsoft and others. The best way to get a clean system was to reinstall from scratch. Of course, systems were so much more simple back then.:D

Thanks again, Doc!

Cheers!

16. 2014/09/24
    SpywareDr

17. 2014/09/27
    AlexH

A Complete Backup

So what do you use to do a complete backup? I've been doing backups since so long ago, when I even beta tested both hard- and software for Colorado Memory Systems and Norton Backup, among others. I actually still have a number of various sized tape machines from when CMS (Colorado Memory Systems) was trying out different sized drives, and I probably have a couple of CD-based backups.

These days, besides using the cloud, I also use high-capacity thumb drives, like a couple of 64 GB flash drives, and a couple of 32 GB drives.

And still, I am never fully comfortable with backing up.

Years ago, I even tested Norton/Symantec's Ghost as a backup, and used it at times, during beta testing of their products. I was never quite comfortable and only used non-essential systems for testing.

Now, through my ever-present senior moments, I'm not even certain how to set Ghost up again, even though I have DVD drives, external and internal, and even still have an Iomega Jazz drive with the huge :rolleyes: 2 GB cartridges.

Any suggestions?

18. 2014/09/27
    SpywareDr

19. 2014/09/30
    AlexH

Thanks, Doc!

20. 2014/09/30
    SpywareDr