1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved Need a new WIRED keyboard

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by Annie Lori, 2014/09/08.

1. 2014/09/08
    Annie Lori

Annie Lori Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I have an HP 500-164 Desktop PC. Both the original HP keyboard and replacement Dynex keyboards have issues with the Caps Lock key. This has caused me many problems when typing passwords that include caps and lowercase characters. I've been using the Dynex keyboard almost since Day One (Jan. 2014) and almost all the keys are now illegible. My old HP Pavilion A1224N keyboard was still legible (just like brand new) after 8 years of usage, but Best Buy agent said he couldn't find a driver to make it work with my new PC. It also had a nice touch that I was used to, so this was a big disappointment!

I've heard about the Lenovo Preferred Pro USB keyboard and wonder if it is compatible with my PC or can you recommend another brand? A Best Buy tech installed my present equipment, so I'm hoping that a new keyboard will be easy for me to install. Hopefully, all I need to do is remove the old keyboard and plug in a new one!

2. 2014/09/08
    MrBill

MrBill SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

I have changed hundreds of keyboards. Like for like and never a problem. Done this over a period of about 25 years.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2014/09/08
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

5. 2014/09/08
    Annie Lori

Pete, sounds good except the reviews said you can't use more than 2 keys at once. Does this mean you can't use: Ctrl Alt Delete

6. 2014/09/08
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Hi Annie Lori, I've just built a new comp for my wife using W8.1 Pro OS and I just plugged in her old HP keyboard that she has used for 16 years (W98) and everything works 100%. This keyboard has a Volume control knob on it and even that works fine. Neil. :D

7. 2014/09/09
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

Ctrl+Alt+Delete works as expected on my desktop. The reviewers must have had faulty keyboards as that command has been around for time immemorial - since DOS, Win 3 and has always served the same purpose in one form or another.

8. 2014/09/09
    Bill

Bill SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

I don't think anyone can really answer this for you. Keyboards and mice are extensions of "our" hands and as such, they must "feel right" to us. What "feels" good to me may not to PeteC or you.

Therefore, you really need to go play touchy-feely with these keyboards for yourself - and you need to base it on how YOU use your computer.

ALL keyboards today (and for the last many years) are PnP (plug and play). They should work as basic keyboards without installing any drivers. All the drivers do is enable any extra features a specific board might have - like media controls, or MS Word integration, Fn key configuration, etc.

It bothers me that both keyboards had issues with the same key! :( I don't like coincidences. I would borrow a couple keyboards to see if they work to make sure the problem is with the keyboards, and not the keyboard controller, which is part of the motherboard.

The 2 keys at once issue in the user reviews was exclusively with animation controls in games. If you don't play modern, 3D animated games with your keyboard, don't worry about that. If you are a gamer, get a gaming keyboard!

FTR, I use and really like my Microsoft Comfort 5000 Wireless mice and keyboards. They come as a set or can be purchased separately. The set uses just one USB dongle for convenience. I don't know who makes these products for MS, but they are very well built and reliable. I use one of each on 2 computers in the same room with absolutely no problems with one interfering with the other.

Have you considered a wireless keyboard? They sure are convenient, simple to install, and work beautifully. Of course the downside is you have to replace the batteries every 6 months or so, but that is not hard either. No cables is great - especially when not pulling on the mouse.

Bill,
  9. 2014/09/11
    Annie Lori

I did think it odd that my 8-yr-old HP keyboard wouldn't work. In my research, one recommendation was to plug in the keyboard to another port (I haven't done that yet). I may wind up with Pete's newegg product.

As for wireless, I just don't want to deal with batteries. I've been using wired keyboard/mouse for over 15 years and am content with that.

Thank you all for your comments.

10. 2014/09/11
    MrBill

MrBill SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

I use a wireless mouse on my laptop. 2 batteries and they last me at least 6 months or more. Doesn't matter if I use the regular kind or the rechargeable ones.

11. 2014/09/11
    Bill

Bill SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Yeah, get about 6 months too, longer on my keyboards.

Annie Lori likes this.