1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved Problems trying to migrate mail

Discussion in 'Microsoft Mail (Outlook / OE / Windows Mail)' started by SarahB, 2014/09/05.

1. 2014/09/05
    SarahB

SarahB Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Prior to doing a PC rebuild I'm trying to transfer my email data from Outlook 2003 to my hotmail account at Outlook.com so I can then use the mail app in W8. I transferred my email data from Outlook Express to Outlook last year so it is now saved in .pst form. I've been trying to use the mail migration add on for Windows Explorer. See here http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/o...rt-desktop-app
    and I just keep getting a message "Something happened while we were checking your PC and we can't move to the next step. Please refresh the page and try again. " But it never works. Any ideas anyone?????

2. 2014/09/05
    James Martin

James Martin Geek Member

You could create a new IMAP account in Outlook 2003 and import those message to it. IMAP protocol creates an exact mirror of your online account, including folders, between your mail provider and your PC from the experience I've had with it. Not sure if it works in reverse though.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2014/09/18
    SarahB

I still haven't solved this. Trying to do IMAP in reverse just deletes everything off the PC which isn't still on the server. Not good!

I've copied the complete Outlook .pst file from my old PC and I am now awaiting the completion of the new build before trying again.

Watch this space!

5. 2014/09/25
    SarahB

New Build now up and running!

Hoorah, my new build is now up and running!!:D

Boo hoo, the interface is completely different and I'm a bit lost and confused:confused: :eek:

I have managed to sync my hotmail email account with Outlook 2013 and import all my old emails from my old PC's Outlook 2003 by copying the pst file into a "Personal Folders" folder in Outlook 2013 on my new PC.

I've even managed to delete the old contacts from the hotmail web server and import the contacts from the old pst file into Outlook 2013 and then sync to the web server.

However I still can't see how to sync my old messages from the opened pst file on my new PC to the web server.

Is there no-one out there who can help me with this?

Sarah

6. 2014/09/25
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Nice to hear you've got your new comp working. :D It will take a little time to get used to the new OS.
    Sorry I can't help with your Mail problems as I've been a fan for Mozilla TB for quite some time. Neil.

7. 2014/09/25
    antik

antik Well-Known Member

8. 2014/10/19
    SarahB

Thank you James, Neil and Antik for your replies to this.

I still haven't found a way to get my old messages out of Outlook and back to the outlook.com server. IMAP in reverse just doesn't seem to work. I don't understand why. I would have thought it would have been easy!

Noone else seems to be able to provide the answer either.

So I'll just have to live with the pst file (over 1GB) on my PC opened in Outlook until I can find a way to get them back onto the outlook.com server.

9. 2014/10/19
    Arie

Arie Administrator Administrator Staff

As from the article Antik posted:

Arie,