1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

SSD trim and defrag

Discussion in 'Legacy Windows' started by Swedeman, 2014/08/28.

1. 2014/08/28
    Swedeman

Swedeman Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Aloha,

Not sure this is the right forum, but since I'm running Win 8 home:

I installed a Samsung SSD 840 EVO 250GB into my Toshiba laptop. There isn't any TRIM firmware to be found. I went to their site and couldn't find any TRIM info.

I did a CMD check for defrag settings and got this:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.3.9600]
    (c) 2013 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>fsutil behavior query DisableDeleteNotify
    DisableDeleteNotify = 0

C:\WINDOWS\system32>

Does that mean that the defrag runs as a trim comand and is safe to use?

2. 2014/08/28
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Last edited: 2014/08/28

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2014/08/28
    Swedeman

Thanks for the link, it answers my question.

UPDATE: Samsung calls there TRIM program "Samsung Magician "....a rose by another name..........

Last edited: 2014/08/28
  5. 2014/08/29
    Bill

Bill SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Forget about it! Windows 8 already knows how to work with and handle SSDs - and is very good at it too. You do not need Samsung Magician. In fact, with my Samsung SSD, Samsung Magician just ate up unnecessary resources, and it changed some of my power/sleep options without informing me :mad: so my PC would NEVER go into full hybrid sleep mode. It took me some time to figure out it was the Magician that messed up my settings. Their excuse? The PC boots faster with their settings - like I'm unhappy with 20 second boot times!!! :rolleyes: :confused:

So with W8.x don't use Samsung Magician.

And for the record, Samsung Magician is NOT a rose!!!! Because it does more than just optimize your SSD - it makes other changes to your operating system you may not want.

Yes! Windows 8 built in defragger - now called "Optimize Drives" is fully capable of detecting SSDs and running only the necessary "TRIM" functions on the SSDs, and actual defragging on hard drives.

While Optimize Drives may "appear" to be defragging SSDs, careful watch of the status shows it is merely trimming. So the Optimize Drives feature only applies the optimization required by the drive type it detects - and that's a very good thing.

Oh, and if you leave W8.x alone, it will automatically "optimize" your drives for you once a week - though I recommend running CCleaner or Windows Disk Cleanup regularly so you are not defragging your "hard" drives with potentially 1000s of tiny temporary files.

Bill,
  6. 2014/08/29
    Swedeman

Thanks Bill, good to know. I deleted the Samsung Magician and will let Windows do it's thing.

7. 2014/08/29
    Bill

Bill SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

You are welcome. :)

Bill,