1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Opening .exe file

Discussion in 'Legacy Windows' started by JohnWJ, 2014/08/25.

1. 2014/08/25
    JohnWJ

JohnWJ Inactive Thread Starter

OK guys and Gals I have tried the search function and can not find what I am looking for.

OK I am trying to open a .exe file for my external hard drive but I am getting a popup saying that the computer will not open it. Can any one help

PS Mods if this is in the wrong place please move

2. 2014/08/26
    Evan Omo

Evan Omo Computer Support Technician Staff

Hi JohnWJ. Can you open up other exe files on the computer with no issues? What is the name of the program that you are trying to open? What is the error message that Windows 8 throws up?

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2014/08/26
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

. EXE is an executable file. Not all .exes will "open" and display a dialog or a program window. Double clicking them will just load the program into memory, sometimes verified using Task Manager > Processes tab.

Answer Evan's questions.

5. 2014/08/26
    Bill

Bill SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Right. You don't "open" .exe files (unless you are the developer). You "run" or "execute" them.

Bill,
  6. 2014/08/26
    Steve R Jones

Steve R Jones SuperGeek Staff

Except for the part where you right click on an EXE and see the OPEN option that will run or execute...

SpywareDr likes this.
  7. 2014/08/26
    Bill

Bill SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Yeah, that's true and a good point. But the reality is the program is still running and not "opened" for editing as it would be for a Word document file, for example.

I guess we can blame MS for that confusion but I think their goal was to keep the right-click menu from getting too cluttered, and confusing.

Bill,