1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved Differences In DDR3 Ram

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by hawk22, 2014/08/16.

1. 2014/08/16
    hawk22

hawk22 Geek Member Thread Starter

Hi can someone explain to me the actual difference, apart from slightly physical change.
    I have 8GIG of G.Skill RipJaws DDR3 Ram F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL installed.

My regular supplyer has at the moment only the G.Skill RipJaws Ram 8GB
    F3-12800CL10S-8GBXL

Can I use them to bring my system up to 16 GIG or would I be compromising stability.

hawk22

2. 2014/08/16
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Hi Bill, as long as the RAM specs are IDENTICAL in every way - there is no reason why it would not be stable.
    Buying a set of matched RAM is the safe way to go. Manufacturers produce matched sets of 2 and 4 sticks. But I believe there will still be small differences in the individual sticks. Better to buy the same brand of RAM. Neil.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2014/08/16
    Evan Omo

Evan Omo Computer Support Technician Staff

Hi hawk22. The main differences between those modules is the Column Address Strobe (CAS) Latency (CL) or memory timings. Its known as the memory access time and it tells us how many clock cycles the memory modules will delay in returning data requested to the CPU. The lower the memory timings the faster the memory module will be, assuming everything else is the same and we are just looking at the memories access time.

Your current memory modules run with a CAS Latency of 9 while the 2nd set of modules run with a CAS Latency of 10. Like RAM speed and mixing different pairs of RAM, the memory will run at the lowest common denominator. Its never advisable to mix memory modules if you don't have to as it often results in less than desirable outcomes. The memory most likely will work but the CAS latency for your memory will run with a CAS Latency of 10 instead of 9 which may result in decreased performance.

Since you already have 8 GB's of your current memory installed then why not order the same memory from here, G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL.

More in depth reading on this subject if you are interested, Understanding RAM Timings.

5. 2014/08/16
    hawk22

Thanks Neil, Thank you Evan Omo, that is exactly the answer that I was looking for. I know another supplier here in Melbourne who does have the same, just a bit further to travel, but I will get the exact same.
    Thanks
    hawk22

6. 2014/08/16
    Evan Omo

Should've realized you were in Australia. Anyway glad to have helped. Do you have any other questions or would you consider this thread resolved?

7. 2014/08/17
    hawk22

I just read that article understanding ram timings, very good article and it actually brought back memories of when I used to fiddle around with Overclocking.
    The Ram that I have CL9 which was to most specified going through the list of supported RAM in the manual.
    There are some 8, 7, and one 6, but I thought with CL9 being most recommendet I will go for that.

A CL6 that I could use with the ASUS Motherboard runs at 1.65Volt whereas the others operate at 1.5 V, this increase in voltage would in my opinion increase the heat quite considerably.
    Thanks
    hawk22

8. 2014/08/17
    Bill

Bill SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Many years ago, that was true. But it has not been true for some time now.

It is important to remember that dual-channel memory architecture is nothing new - with roots going WAY BACK to the 1960s!

As companies migrated away from mainframes, and PCs and PC sized servers were becoming popular, RAM makers started making and marketing "dual channel" memory.

But 20 years ago, RAM manufacturing techniques were crude by today's standards. Raw materials were not as pure and "tolerances" where not near as "tight" as they are today. So each "stick" coming off the assembly line did not meet design specs as precisely as each stick coming off the line today does.

So back in the olden days, RAM makers had to individually test each stick to ensure resulting tolerances were "close enough" to design specs to work as advertised. And they found many bad samples.

For dual-channel memory, the makers then used those test results to "match" and package pairs of sticks for dual channel - and being an expensive, time consuming, labor intensive, logistics nightmare, they charged a pretty penny for them too. That is, in the past, when you bought a "matched pair ", they cost more than individual sticks!

Fast forward to recent years. Raw materials are much more pure. And today's RAM manufacturing techniques have improved many times over such that each stick coming off the line is about as identical to the next as God will allow Man to create. This is why it is nearly impossible to find RAM that is NOT warrantied for life!

As a result, RAM makers no longer have to test each sample off the line individually. Nor do they have to test modules to find perfect matches for dual and triple channel RAM. They already are "close enough" to work fine together. This is also a significant reason gobs of RAM is so cheap.

Also, motherboard (and CPU) memory managers are MUCH MORE advanced and sophisticated today too and much more capable at accommodating (forcing!) ever-so-slightly different RAM to work well together. This is why on modern systems, the same brand is no longer necessary to ensure a compatible "pair ". You just need the same specs. And even then, with some current model boards, mismatched RAM will work fine in dual-channel mode as long as the sticks are the same size. The memory manager will just force the RAM to operate at the least capable stick's capabilities.

So why do we see dual and triple channel RAM packages on the store shelves? An ancient marketing gimmick, that's why. It costs the RAM makers and retailers MUCH LESS to bundle, transport, stock and sell "in bulk" than it does individual packages.

Just like buying 1 16oz bottle of Coke, or a 6-pack of 16oz bottles of Coke, you still have the same Coke in the individual bottles. But it cost Coke less to bundle in 6-packs than individually, and you pay less for each bottle.

So unlike many marketing gimmicks - this one is good for consumers too as buying these "kits" is convenient, but cheaper than individual sticks too. :)

Bill,
  9. 2014/08/17
    Evan Omo

You are welcome hawk22.

Oh and thanks for the interesting post Bill. Very enlightening.

Since this issue is now resolved, please mark this thread as 'Resolved'.