1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved Computer Slow to Boot and Files Corrupted

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Ann, 2014/08/05.

1. 2014/08/05
    Ann

Ann Well-Known Member Thread Starter

My computer is taking over 30 minutes to boot. Last night I decided to leave it on 24/7 but shut off the monitor. This morning when I turned the power on, the monitor did not come up for 30-35 minutes. Does this mean it is not the computer but the monitor that is going bad?

Can anyone help me to decipher what caused this. I have scanned with Malwarebytes, SuperAntispyware and MSE and all report computer is clean.

I can no longer open photos....(no preview available) and the Notepad and Works files are unreadable. I do have, however, back-up files for these but have to know what caused this. :mad:

Any help is appreciated.

Ann,
  2. 2014/08/06
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Hi Ann, You've answered your problem. Try another Monitor before anything else is tried. Neil.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2014/08/07
    Ann

Thanks for your reply, retiredlearner. I am trying to find a monitor that I can borrow to test on my computer. Meanwhile....any ideas what has caused so many corrupted files? That is my main concern right now as keeping my system on 24/7 solves the slow boot. TIA

Ann,
  5. 2014/08/07
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

I would be more than a little surprised if the monitor has any bearing on slow boot and corrupted files. I would be more inclined towards a failing hard drive.

First off I would download Speccy from piriform.com and click on Storage and look at the Smart status ( your hard drive may not support Smart). Anything other than good click on Smart Attributes to see what is reported.

Alternatively run Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for Windows and see what it throws up.

6. 2014/08/11
    Ann

Hi Pete -

Thanks for your help.

The Speccy program kept freezing so I tried the Data Lifeguard program and it came up with a Pass for my HD. What else can I do? I hesitate to shut computer down because I am afraid it will not boot up again.

Any suggestions as to what can cause corruption of files?

Ann,
  7. 2014/08/11
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Hi Ann, I can only suggest running sfc /scannow. This would check your System Files. Chkdisc is another test on your drive. Neil.

8. 2014/08/12
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

Did you run the Quick Test or the Extended Test? I would suggest running the latter. To be on the safe side ensure that all backups of your data are current.

Although you are naturally reluctant to shut down the computer it would be worthwhile seeing if the same boot symptoms are present in Safe Mode.

9. 2014/08/12
    Ann

I will try that. These are XP system files, correct?

Ann,
  10. 2014/08/12
    Ann

Will try that.

Ann,
  11. 2014/08/13
    hawk22

hawk22 Geek Member

When I get to that stage, then (that is me) I run a Windows Repair it's not hard on XP if you have the install CD, you don't loose anything if all goes to norm.
    I know some people don't like it, it always worked for me if the system was not totally over the hill.
    hawk22

12. 2014/08/13
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

If you choose to follow hawk22's suggestion which I would support once the hard drive has a clean bill of health, be aware that you will need an installation CD at the same Service Pack level as the installed OS. In your case SP3.

If your XP installation CD is not SP3 version you will need to create one by slipstreaming SP2 & SP3 into it. Note that this can only be accomplished on a retail CD, not on an OEM CD such as that which used to come with mainstream computers.

Slipstreaming Windows XP Service Pack 2 and Create Bootable CD

Slipstreaming Windows XP Service Pack 3 and Create Bootable CD

13. 2014/08/13
    Ann

I do not have the install CD as Windows was already installed when I bought it. :mad:

Ann,
  14. 2014/08/13
    Ann

Thanks, Pete, but as I mentioned above, I do not have an install CD only an OEM disc.:(

Ann,
  15. 2014/08/14
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

I rather suspected that :)

Have you run the extended hard drive test and evaluated Safe Mode as suggested in previous posts?

16. 2014/08/14
    hawk22

hawk22 Geek Member

Pete, I can't quite remember, a long time since I had to do one, and I am not trying to fix others comps anymore.
    But can't you use any retail version XP SP3 as long as you have your own Key.
    hawk22

17. 2014/08/21
    Ann

Sorry for the delay....I lost my Internet connection for about one week. Ran the Extended hard drive test and got a Pass. I did the Safe Mode boot as well and that took about 5 minutes. I do not know what to look for in Safe Mode as I am not familiar at all with it. however, for clarification, the machine was hot as it has been on 24/7 when I shut down and restarted in Safe Mode.

Any further suggestions. Does this information point us somewhere?

Ann,
  18. 2014/08/22
    hawk22

hawk22 Geek Member

Ann maybe you just spelled out your problem, your computer was hot after being on for 24 hr and should not be. I have one of my machines on for weeks at the time.
    Do you have Core Temp or Speccy installed, it might not be dead accurate, but it will give you an idea of what temperature your computer is getting to.
    Let the guys know here and someone will tell you if your computer is overheating.
    hawk22

19. 2014/08/22
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

it's good to know that the hard drive passed the extended test so that can be eliminated from the equation.

When the computer is booted in Safe Mode only a basic set of drivers are loaded and the fact that it booted in ~5 mins vs. 30 mins suggests that there is something in the Start Up folder which is causing the delay.

There is an article from MS that describes how to perform a clean boot in which all third party services and start up items are disabled. However I find the article misleading in that it does not go on to describe how to determine which third party may be causing an issue. ThereforeI will not post the link.

One approach is to disable start up items via another route .....

Download and install WinPatrol - free version .....

http://www.winpatrol.com/download.html

Click on the Start Up Programs tab - this displays a list of all start ups. Ensure that Display Secret Start up locations is unchecked.

Disable all start ups with the exception of any relating to your graphics card or hard disk controller (Intel, etc.) and reboot the computer and see how long it takes to boot up.

If the boot time is 'normal' then one of the start up items is causing the delay.

Re enable the start ups in, say, batches of three rebooting between each change.

If/when the boot time increases then one of the last set of re-enabled start ups is the cause and can then be narrowed down to one.

If no start up item is identified as causing the extended boot time then we will have to think again :)

20. 2014/08/22
    Ann

PeteC - Before I D/L Win Patrol, I wanted to let you know that I have a utility called Start UP Cop which, I believe, shows me the programs that initialize at boot. I just checked it and the programs are all the same ones I have had since forever. There is one exception and that is GA311 Smart Wizard Utility which I just saw and do not remember having it before now. I checked in the Start Up Folder and only two items appears there, the GA311 Smart Wizard and an Event Reminder which I need.

Can there be other things starting up at boot that are not in these two folders?

Awaiting your reply, but meanwhile I will D/L Win!

Ann,
  21. 2014/08/23
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

The GA311 Smart Wizard Utility is associated with your Netgear Router.

Just a thought - have you changed your router recently and if so would that coincide with the start of the long boot times?

The Start Up folder does not contain all of the items which run at start up, generally only third party items which make an entry there - not all do this.

There are many other start up items running at boot as the OS loads - you will not see those as they are essential to and are part of the system and disabling them or setting then to a delayed start would foul up the OS.

Although the start up items you see are familiar there is a possibility that one may be corrupted. When starting in Safe Mode none of those items will run.