1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Monitor for line activity on a WiFi connection

Discussion in 'Legacy Windows' started by Gordon, 2014/07/28.

1. 2014/07/28
    Gordon

Gordon Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Is there a way to monitor for line activity on a Windows 8.1 laptop that uses a WiFi connection?
    My XP desktop uses local area connection to connect to the router. The pc is connected to the router via a cable. I have an icon in systray that lets me see that line activity is happening. It looks like 2 pc's connected and lights up when the pc is actively sending or receiving data.
    What do I have to do to get something similar to display on the Win 8.1 laptop? The laptop uses a WiFi broadband 802.11n adapter connection to the router. I would like it to display all the time so I can see if any line activity is happening. Can it be done using a function of Windows 8/8.1 without installing some add on software, and how do I set it up?
    Gordon

2. 2014/07/28
    antik

antik Well-Known Member

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2014/07/28
    Gordon

Antik, thank you for the suggestion. I have played around with those setting but can not find a way to get what I want.
    Under system icons > network; the only options I can find is on or off. When on it shows what connections are available and what connection I am currently connected to, in this case I am connected to my own router. But it will not tell me if there is any line traffic happening at this time.
    Thank you, Gordon

Last edited: 2014/07/28
  5. 2014/07/28
    antik

antik Well-Known Member

If you don't get the answer that you are seeking from someone else, you might take a look at this one. It is additional software, but it is said to work on Windows 8 and it is very small.

http://www.itsamples.com/network-activity-indicator.html

Network Activity Indicator displays the old 'two monitors' icon that flashed to show network activity on the System Tray.

6. 2014/07/28
    Gordon

That application looks like it is the exact function that I want. I assumed that the function was built into windows 8 and I just had not found a way to activate it. I would rather get the function without installing a third party program. However, I will leave this thread open for a few days and if no one knows how to enable the function from within windows 8/8.1, I will get that program installed.

Good find and thank you.
    Gordon

7. 2014/07/28
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

The old 'two monitors' icon for network activity went out with the introduction of Windows 7 and was replaced by the static 'empty' monitor icon - continued in 8.

8. 2014/07/29
    Gordon

Thanks Pete. That would explain why I could not find a way to activate it.
    Gordon