1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

CD player application

Discussion in 'Legacy Windows' started by Hotaru, 2014/07/22.

1. 2014/07/22
    Hotaru

Hotaru Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I built a new box and installed Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit. I installed the CD player application that I have used since Win98 was new. But in Win8, all of the Gracenote controls are grayed out. I found an error message saying the CDDB control (presumably .dll or .ocx) could not be loaded.

I have tried looking for a new CD player application that at least mentions Win7 support. Almost everything I have found is trying to be a be-all-end-all, ultra-uber ultimate media player. All I want is a CD player that supports Gracenote (CDDB) and/or FreeDB, preferably with Unicode support. Tiny Player looked just right, but when I tried to connect to FreeDB I get an error that I am not connected to the Internet. I did verify the server, port, and path with FreeDB and all was well.

So are there any fairly minimal CD player applications known to work well in Win8-64?

2. 2014/07/22
    antik

antik Well-Known Member

Last edited: 2014/07/23

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2014/07/23
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

You'll also see at FileHippo.com that VLC is available which I have installed on Vista, W7 Pro and W8.1 Pro. This plays Video as well as music. Neil.
    P.S. it pays to grab the K-Lite Codecs at the same time.

Last edited: 2014/07/23
  5. 2014/07/23
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

AFAIK you don't need any other codecs for VLC.