1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved Trouble seeing wireless printer Brother HL-2170W

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by psaulm119, 2014/06/12.

1. 2014/06/12
    psaulm119 Lifetime Subscription

psaulm119 Geek Member Thread Starter

I'm trying to set up a Win7 laptop to connect wirelessly to a Brother HL-2170W wireless printer.

When installing the driver on the laptop, the driver installer can't detect the printer. It allows me the option of inserting teh printer IP. Unfortunately, when I go (via a wired desktop) into the printer properties, there is no IP listed in the General tab (in the Location field). I read that you should go to the Ports tab, and have the port configured. I clicked on that, but got an error message:

An error occured during port configuration.
    This operation is not supported.

The printer is turned on.

Suggestions?

Additionally, when I try to access the printer via Windows Explorer, I click on the Network link, and I can drill down to see the printer (again, wired desktop), but there is only one tab in the properties menu option, and it gives me no MAC address or IP or anything like that.

Last edited: 2014/06/12
  2. 2014/06/12
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2014/06/13
    antik

antik Well-Known Member

IP address is listed in the Printer Settings Page report.

Press the GO button on the printer 3 times within 2 seconds to print.

5. 2014/07/11
    psaulm119 Lifetime Subscription

psaulm119 Geek Member Thread Starter

Tried the steps. Didn't work, so I called the 877 or whatever number. After being endlessly on hold for two calls, I came back today and got through. Brother support helped me get it up and running, including driver d/l and installation.

Marking as solved. Thanks for the link to the PDF, it gave me a good number to call.

6. 2014/07/11
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Nice to see you got sorted. I was interested because my brother uses a Brother printer in W7. Cheers Neil.