1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved In emergency is it ok to run comp on generator?

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by robls99, 2014/04/24.

1. 2014/04/24
    robls99 Lifetime Subscription

robls99 Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Is it safe/ok to run a computer on a emergency generator.

My UPS doesn't like it (clicks) but the computer runs ok.

Are there any potential problems I should know about?

2. 2014/04/24
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

You have the generator connected to your UPS and then the comp - shouldn't be any problems as the UPS would do it's current/voltage stabilizing as usual. Neil.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2014/04/24
    Evan Omo

Evan Omo Computer Support Technician Staff

Hi robls99. Your computer should run fine as long as its connected to your UPS first.

5. 2014/04/24

Thanks guys.

That's what I thought too, however on both computers which are on separate UPS's, the UPS did not like the generator as a source. One computer started shutting down shortly after boot up and they both were making a loud clicking sound like they didn't like something. I used a circuit tester and got 2 green lights.

6. 2014/04/24
    MrBill

MrBill SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

I ran everything in my house except the AC and the Hot water heater on a 6500 Generator including 4 computers and 3 TV's and most of the lights and the ceiling fans plus fridge and freezer of 10 days back when a hurricane left us without power. No UPS involved at all. Still running 3 of the PC's and the other one was donated to a needy student at the local HS and it is still working.

7. 2014/04/25
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

You should not have any problems using a generator to run a comp. However, not all UPS have AVR (automatic voltage regulation). If your UPSs don't have AVR then no need to use them with the generator.

Use a voltage meter with the generator to determine fluctuations in the current. If too great, you may need to get an AVR for the comp's power supply may not like the voltage range.

My house electric fluctuates between 107 & 118 volts. That's OK for computers. But a generator's range could be much wider depending upon the load, condition of the engine and other factors.

8. 2014/04/25

Thanks for the addl info guys, that was very helpful.

I'll look into AVR as that could be a concern.

Rob