1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved Locked Folders and Files Win 7

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by bmartin, 2014/04/19.

1. 2014/04/19
    bmartin

bmartin Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Because Microsoft no longer supports XP I moved to Win 7 and along with other silliness that comes with Win 7 I have now been confronted with lock folder and files. Now, without all of the do this and do that and read this and go here I need to know how to get control of these folders and files in MY COMPUTER. Who in the **** does Microsoft think they are putting this unacceptable controlling feature in the OS that controls my computer. I know this is a safety feature, but let me make my own decisions about what I want locked and unlocked, come on now. Is there or is there not a simple solution to this lock mess in Win 7.

I have Googled and searched BBS to dead with no real solution found.

Thanks for any help

2. 2014/04/19
    James Martin

James Martin Geek Member

I migrated to Windows 7 last June, but I don't remember having any locked files & folders.

Are you referring to personal folders & documents?

For what it's worth, I've included a link that explains about folder permissions in Windows 7 and how to remove the lock icon from a folder. I've yet to run into this situation yet (locked folders), so this is a learning experience for me too.

EDIT: My account has Administrator privileges. Is it possible your account is a standard account?

Last edited: 2014/04/19

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2014/04/20
    bmartin

Yes, personal, system, hidden, protected any type. I am set up as the Administrator, but it treats me as a user with no other rights. I have unprotected, unchecked the hide system files I have done everything I know to do to be able to control my files, but nothing seems to work. I have read several articles about this right, that right system rights until I am sick of any kind of rights. I need a specific solution, if there is one.

5. 2014/04/20
    SpywareDr

SpywareDr SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

6. 2014/04/20
    bmartin

I am only trying to open, folders, system or otherwise that are locked.

7. 2014/04/21
    SpywareDr

What are the names of a few that you are trying to access?

For example, In Windows 7 the "C:\Documents and Settings" folder is a Junction, not a real folder. This folder was used in previous versions (XP) to hold all of the users files. This location was changed in Windows 7 to "C:\Users ".

A Junction is used to redirect a program to a different location for backward compatibility purposes. When a program that was developed for Windows XP is installed in Windows 7, it may be hard coded to look for the "Documents and Settings" folder. When it tries to access the "Documents and Settings" Junction on Windows 7, it will be automatically be redirected to the "Users" folder.

This Junction allows the older program to install and work. This backward compatibility is the only reason that the "Documents and Settings" Junction is present on the system. There are many other Junction points in Windows 7 and these can be recognized by the Shortcut Arrow or Padlock overlay on the Junction icon.

All of these Junctions have the permissions set to Everyone = Access Denied. This is done to protect them from accidental deletion or permission changes. You should not change any of these properties, because doing so can cause some programs to qiut working or prevent some programs from installing.

8. 2014/04/22
    Arie

Arie Administrator Administrator Staff

So you have most likely set Windows Explorer to show "show hidden files, folders, or drives ", and as suggested, you are trying to access junction points.

Arie,
  9. 2014/04/22
    bmartin

Ok, so much for so called Junction folder. The bottom line is that my individual rights have become less and less in my life and now it is my computer. I am just a grumpy old man with to much time on my hands.

let's talk about folders or files under my user name. First, my computer has no other users and I set me as the administrator when I installed Win 7 and those rights have not change . Under my user name Bob there are several locked folders that I did not lock. Here is a list of a few: Application Data, Cookies, Local Settings, NetHood, PrintHood. Anyway, thanks too all for telling me what I already suspected that there is no way to take control of Win 7 control of my computer, just live with it, right.

10. 2014/04/22
    SpywareDr

Some files and folders are required for the Operating System to run. Remove them and you'll break it.

If you want to try it, do a backup then boot from a LiveCD/USB and delete away.

11. 2014/04/22
    James Martin

James Martin Geek Member

I wouldn't try to delete anything in system folders unless it is a leftover file or folder from an uninstall, but if you have trouble accessing personal files, then there is a program available that can unlock them for you...

Just be sure to backup like Doc said.

Last edited: 2014/04/22
  12. 2014/04/26
    Arie

See my article: Windows 7: 'Access Denied' message when trying to access folder

Again: you are not trying to access folders, you are trying to access junction points. As I explain in the article:

It has nothing to do with "individual rights have become less and less ", in fact I'd argue the opposite. Without these junction points lots of older software wouldn't install on Windows 7.

13. 2014/04/26
    bmartin

Arie Enough said, I get the point. I will continue to use my XP machines that I feel more comfort with and have more control of and use Win 7 for browsing the Internet. If all of these files are just Junction Points or critical OS files and have no user value then MS not permit them to be unhidden in the first placed. Arie, this issue may not be an individual right to techies, but it is to me. Thanks too everyone who shared their thoughts and wisdom concerning this post.

14. 2014/04/26
    SpywareDr

15. 2014/04/26
    Arie

They are junction points. And they are hidden by default. You set Windows Explorer to Show hidden files, folders and drives and unchecked Hide protected operating system files.

They can't be made more invisible, otherwise they would lose their functionality, which is to provide backwards compatibility (as I explained).

SpywareDr likes this.