1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Is a windows XP machine used in this manner safe?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Mel, 2014/04/19.

1. 2014/04/19
    Mel

Mel Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I have an XP machine that I basically use to print things, and as a media server for digital movies - essentially hard drive space in another location. since it used to be used for the internet and such too, Ive gone through and removed all cookies (for IE and chrome), all temp files, etc. Made sure there was nothing financial or related to email as far as actual files on the comp (theres some older stuff i have to sort thru, like photos and things. but not personal photos. Like at one point i ran a message board so i have some of those old photos on there, etc). Also made a limited account (only had admin before) that it runs on by default.

Basically, if someone got in, theyre not getting any "goods ". So, in that case, do i need to worry?

I have also reenabled the firewall. back in the day i had it disabled as my brother told me the router already acts as a firewall on its own. But just to be save, thats back on there too.

given the manner in which it is used now, do i need to worry?

Mel,
  2. 2014/04/19
    Evan Omo

Evan Omo Computer Support Technician Staff

Hi Mel. If the computer is also used offline then no you don't need to worry about the computer getting compromised from malware at all.

I would encourage you to NOT use the computer for any online activity if you can make the effort in doing so.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2014/04/19
    Mel

Mel Well-Known Member Thread Starter

It is used "offline" but needs to be plugged into the router (aka "online ") to stream properly.

Basically its online but im not using it to go online, if that makes sense.

Mel,
  5. 2014/04/19
    James Martin

James Martin Geek Member

I've asked the same question, and I was told to make sure that no programs were allowed to access the web (Java updater, Flash Updater, Windows Update, etc.)

6. 2014/04/20
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

Connected to the router is is safe.
    For added security and peace of mind, you can use the router to block Internet access for the XP comp.