1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

XP and MS Popup

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by retiredlearner, 2014/04/17.

1. 2014/04/17
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member Thread Starter

My wife's XP comp got all the MS updates and Patches and then started the Popup warning followed by an error code 0x5a4d684d and 0x00000000.
    The comp would freeze and had to be hard shutdown. Reboot would go through the same problem. :mad:
    I Googled and found there were heaps of people with similar problems. :eek: There is apparently a chance of the MS update/patch info corrupting on install.
    I did the complete uninstall of MSE and then Downloaded and installed the latest Avast AV Free.
    End of problem. :D
    I would suggest that anyone running into this problem, follow my route as my wife is overjoyed that her good old XP SP3 is functioning again. Neil. ;)

2. 2014/04/17
    antik

antik Well-Known Member

Declining the "nag" updates to XP and the MSE engine has saved me from a lot of grief. My tray icon is still green and signature updates are proceeding without incident. Both MSE signature updates and Malware Removal Tool updates will continue until July 15, 2015. Hopefully a direction will be manifest before then. Right now, Win 7 life looks too short and Win 8.1 Update still smells like Vista.

http://windowsitpro.com/windows-xp/...r-latest-forefront-endpoint-protection-update

http://www.cpapracticeadvisor.com/b...t-happy-with-the-windows-81-update-not-at-all

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2014/04/17
    MrBill

MrBill SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Well, the majority of people (99%) that I know who have 8 or 8.1 love it including me. People like the guy that wrote that article are the cause for these rumors. What is your experience with 8 or 8.1?

5. 2014/04/17
    Evan Omo

Evan Omo Computer Support Technician Staff

Hi Neil. Looks like Microsoft has released another update this is causing problems.

After support ended on Windows XP, MSE has turned into a nagging application with the UI telling you that support has ended and to move to a newer OS.

I feel like this is another way for MS to encourage users to move on. While I understand the reason behind it, its still incredibly annoying.

Also FWIW, Msmpeng.exe Anti-Malware Engine Crashes on Windows XP, Microsoft Issues Fix.

6. 2014/04/17
    James Martin

James Martin Geek Member

Less than stellar.

I dislike it very much - even with Classic Shell.

7. 2014/04/18
    retiredlearner

Hi Evan, I had the wife's comp set to Auto Update and Install. WRONG!!
    Too late to do anything when the brown stuff hit the fan - hence the Post.
    My XP SP3 comp, I stopped the Download/Patches and it is still running OK.

antik, I have my main comp (this one) and my HP Notebook running with W8.1 AND START8 installed. This makes it more user friendly. I like the speed with which it gets to Desktop and is functional (50 seconds on this comp) and a few seconds longer on the Notebook. I have enjoyed them so far and will switch between my other drives with Vista Business and W7 Pro to have the experience and learning.

James, come join us in the experience and use Start8 instead. Neil.

8. 2014/04/18
    antik

antik Well-Known Member

MrBill, you should look at the bio for "the guy that wrote that article."

http://www.cpapracticeadvisor.com/contact/10267615/dave-mcclure

retiredlearner, I would rather go to 8+ than 7, but I spent a lot of effort modifying this system to my tastes, there's nothing wrong with it, it's more than sufficient for my purposes and there is software that doesn't run under wine, or later versions of windows. No upgrade path for it, either. My wife uses an identical set-up, so it means buying all new, and setting it all up, twice. Newer Win is more secure, but there's still heartbleed, java, flash, vulnerable corporate servers and identity theft. I'm hardwired behind a router, have a fully tested and proven imaging system and a good linux box for redundant internet access. What I don't have is a good positive reason to throw it all away spend the $ and do the work to create an equivalent.

9. 2014/04/18
    SpywareDr

SpywareDr SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

ZDNet > Linux is about to take over the desktop but not like you think it will
    +1

If you don't appeal to and satisfy your users, you are out of the game.

10. 2014/04/18
    MrBill

He may have a good BIO, but I like my BIO and friends BIO better. :D

11. 2014/04/18
    James Martin

James Martin Geek Member

12. 2014/04/18
    MrBill

13. 2014/04/18
    SpywareDr

14. 2014/04/18
    Evan Omo

I seriously doubt Linux on Chrome books is going to replace Windows 8.1. Its going to take far more energy and resources to train someone how to use a Chrome book compared to just tweaking Windows 8.1 a little bit.

Linux still has such a small market share compared to Windows so I wouldn't even waste my time investing in Chrome books.

Plus while they are cheaper than Windows laptops, they may as well be glorified tablets. You can't really get a lot of work done on them and forget about trying to play games or run virtual machines on them.

All it takes is a couple of tweaks done to Windows 8.1 and it works just like Windows 7. This article is pointless and telling businesses to move to Chrome books is hardly an efficient solution to dealing with the Windows 8 Metro UI.

15. 2014/04/18
    retiredlearner

F FIX
    O Or
    R Repair
    D Daily

I'll stick with my trusty Toyota Trueno. Neil.

16. 2014/04/18
    James Martin

James Martin Geek Member

LOL, I thought that phrase was used in America only. I see that it's spreading.

I prefer Chrysler for the moment, but Toyota is hard to beat.

17. 2014/04/18
    James Martin

James Martin Geek Member

My brother was headed in that direction, but he backed out for fear of keeping personal finance records on a cloud server. I talked him into going with a new Windows 7 desktop unit instead.

18. 2014/04/19
    retiredlearner

Hi antik, I know the feeling. My last main comp had a little fry up and I had to decide whether to move along from XP and Vista.
    I made the effort and I'm looking forward with a home build that should see me out.
    I'm now trying to build one for the wife to bring her out of XP which she has been using at work/home for 13 years. (Mothers Day Gift.) ;)
    I've tried Linux (Ubuntu and Zorin), but found that having used Windows since W95, I couldn't find a true liking for it.
    Keep the Chrysler rolling James. Here in Australasia there has always been the Holden (GM) and Ford rivalry, but we had GM Holden ties with Toyota and Nissan and Suzuki.
    I've been more than happy with the reliability and performance from my 1.6 litre Trueno. It's shocked quite a few of the big car owners with takeoff from traffic lights. Neil.

19. 2014/04/19
    SpywareDr

To me, now matter how you 'tweak' it, Windows 8.x is still too much trouble to try and use. And as the numbers are showing, many have grown weary of Windows' constant upgrade cycles, viruses, malware, disk crashes, lost data and stolen devices. All they really need is an easy-to-use and inexpensive internet terminal.

Time will tell.

--

F irst
    O on
    R ace
    D ay

T he
    O ne
    Y ou
    O ught
    T to
    A void

;)

--

C ould
    H ave
    R emained
    Y our
    S ickly
    L ame
    E lderly
    R elative's

;)

20. 2014/04/19
    Evan Omo

Linux is a cheap solution but then no matter what OS you use, your computer could still be open to malware attacks, failing hardware, and devices getting stolen. That doesn't apply to just Windows machines. While the attacks on Windows happen far more often due to the user base, Linux can still be targeted. Plus you also have the issue of a lot of hardware devices not working on Linux workstations because there are no drivers available.

I think there is a small niche where Linux can fit in the ecosystem of OS's and I agree that Linux can be useful but saying that it will replace Windows as the dominant desktop OS in business enterprises is foolish.

If Linux gets a market share above MAC OSX then I can see it having some potential.

21. 2014/04/19
    SpywareDr