1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved Someone here with experience with ergonomic mice?

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by psaulm119, 2014/04/15.

1. 2014/04/15
    psaulm119 Lifetime Subscription

psaulm119 Geek Member Thread Starter

I have noticed in recent months, a bit of tension in my wrist and occasionally this creeps into the hand as well. I don't feel pain at all, but I'm considering switching to ergonomic mice to see if I can't find something that reduces the strain. I have no diagnosed medical condition.

I'm wondering if anyone here has used what are called "ergnomic mice," what they found they liked and didn't like, and why.

2. 2014/04/15
    Evan Omo

Evan Omo Computer Support Technician Staff

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2014/04/15
    virginia Lifetime Subscription

virginia Geek Member

Paul,

I haven't used any ergonomic mice but I have found that switching hands - right to left - helps me a lot. Sometimes I switch the mouse button orientation but I normally leave it on right orientation. That's in case my wife comes in to use my computer - saves getting hollered at for doing dumb things with my computer.

Steep learning curve but I can use one left handed now about as easily as I do right handed. In fact, I think I use it more left handed now than right.

psaulm119 likes this.
  5. 2014/04/15

Virginia, that's an ingenious solution. I went in and toggled the settings, so that my index finger on the left hand can "left" click. That will allow my right hand and wrist to rest much more than even being used, but with ergonomic mice and mousepad.

I'll see how it works, but after a few minutes I think I can get the hang of it.

And of course, it's the cheapest option---it won't cost anything. :cool:

EDIT: I think changing the click orientation, from left to right, is important. I wouldn't want to try working not only with a left hand, but left clicking with a middle finger. That woudl make it real tough.

Last edited: 2014/04/15
  6. 2014/04/15
    lj50 Lifetime Subscription

lj50 SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

I find myself lucky, I'm ambidextrous(left hand dominant) but I can write with both hands simultaneously.

lj50,
  7. 2014/04/15

That's pretty good. I can walk with both feet simultaneously, but thats about it.

virginia likes this.
  8. 2014/04/15
    James Martin

James Martin Geek Member

My office chair armrests are parallel with my mouse & keyboard, and that enables my arms to be at rest when I am computing. That, in itself, makes for less wrist fatigue.

Issues like you are experiencing are the main reason I dislike laptops. While I haven't dealt with the pain you are referring to, I have felt increased arm and wrist fatigue / tension when using a laptop because my arms & wrists are out of position.

9. 2014/04/15

psaulm119 do you have carpal tunnel. I used to play hockey can ice skate with the best of them but, I can't roller skate. Can't even stand with a pair of roller skates on.

lj50,
  10. 2014/04/15

Do I have carpal tunnel? That's what I think every time I feel tightening in my wrist, but the bottom line is that there is no pain at all.... so if it is, it is an incredibly early stage of it. I'm gonna try the left handed mouse for a bit and see what this does. So far, I actually like it. Not sure why.... maybe its just the novelty, maybe its a bit of a challenge....anyways, this is also preserving my right hand/wrist.

So no I doubt that I have CTS.

11. 2014/04/16
    Bill

Bill SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Switching hands is what I did years ago. Though I did that so my right hand could be free to use the number pad more easily, it was just a matter of one day or so after moving the mouse to the other side I noticed the carpel pain in my right hand went away. Now it feels odd to use a mouse in my right hand even though I am right handed.

That said, I do NOT like ergonomic (sometimes called "contoured ") mice. Why? Because 99% of them are shaped for the right hand. So I use Microsoft Comfort 5000 wireless mice on my PCs and the smaller Logitech V450 Nano for my notebook.

BTW, I don't know who the OEM makers are for Microsoft keyboards and mice, but they excellent.

12. 2014/04/16

My carpal tunnel started without pain. My hands were getting numb especially the finger tips.

13. 2014/04/16

No numbness, and the tightness only appears occasionally, not every day.

Guess I'm a bit more fortunate than others (or perhaps I'm not using the computer as others are at work). Numbness would bother me more than pain.... that sounds pretty intense.

14. 2014/04/19

Just wanted to report back that I'm still on the left hand mouse. Settings are still reversed (I click on the right side to "left" click, and vice-versa). My right wrist hasn't bothered me at all. Honestly, I really don't mind using my left hand to work the mouse nearly as much as I would have thought, before I tried it. Its actually kind of fun, in that I'm using a part of my body that I normally don't use while surfing the net and using the computer (except for typing). I'll just keep doing this--using my left hand and mouse at home. I'm still ok with using right hand mouse at work.... I'm so used to that, that's no big deal.

If anyone is experiencing anything like CTS symptoms, I would STRONGLY recommend simply switching hands and seeing if that helps. Its free, and its not gonna hurt anything to try it out, that's for sure.

15. 2014/04/20

My wife and I use a mouse left handed. All my machines have been set up for left handed mouse use for many years. I looked into a ergonomic left handed mouse but they can get a bit expensive.

16. 2014/04/20

17. 2014/04/20
    Bill

Bill SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

It is VERY IMPORTANT to remember that mice (and keyboards) are HIDs (human interface devices) and as such are extensions of "our" hands.

That is, "my" mouse is an extension of "my" hand, not yours! What "feels" right to you may feel totally awkward, if not painful to me.

Therefore, it is imperative (from an ergonomic viewpoint) to use a mouse that "feels" right in your hand, not mine.

My point is, when it comes to HIDs only YOU (the prospective mouse or keyboard buyer) can pick the right mouse and keyboard for you. YOU need to visit your local computer stores and play "touchy feely" with the devices on display and hope they have not abused to death by too many careless customers and store staff.

Then pick the one that "feels" right for "you ".

18. 2014/04/20

I use a Logitech Anywhere Mouse MX. It works for me.