1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved laptop randomly shut down

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by zhshqzyc, 2014/04/08.

1. 2014/04/08
    zhshqzyc

zhshqzyc Inactive Thread Starter

My laptop: Toshiba Satellite L675. It was bought about a few years ago. Today it shut down twice randomly without warning while running a heavy application.

I don't know whether it is my application or hardware problem. I checked the event log of "Application ", there was fine.

One thing is that after the machine died, I have to press the power button heavily several times then the system can start. If just pressing one or two times, the laptop is not responding at all.

Thanks.

2. 2014/04/08
    Steve R Jones

Steve R Jones SuperGeek Staff

Sounds like a heat problem. Have you blown the dust out of the fan vents?

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2014/04/09
    Bill

Bill SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

I agree with Steve. Shutdown, remove every panel and access cover, batteries, drives and anything else can is user removable, then clear out the heat trapping dust.

Note too, at least with my Toshiba, I have to press and hold the power button down for 3 or 4 seconds when powering up from a full shutdown.

Bill,
  5. 2014/04/15
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

I recently had to repair a Toshiba laptop, a major task. After much research and a lot of tinkering, I discovered that many Toshiba models have 2 components that cause havoc:

1. poorly mounted power jack - this is where the power supply plugs in and the inside clips are prone to breaking, causing a faulty contact which leads to lockups and shutdowns when using Windows in Normal mode, not Safe Mode.

2. A cheap capacitor for the CPU, which heats up and the result is shut offs in Normal mode, not Safe Mode, the laptop becomes unbootable in Normal mode.

My fix was:

1. Hot glue the power receptacle inside the laptop.

2. In Safe mode, uninstall the drivers for the CPU in Device Manager. This results in always using Windows generic drivers for the CPU in Normal mode.

3. Use advanced power option to disable sleep, standby, hibernation and CPU power saving.

The result is a laptop that works again in Normal mode with no issues.

Toshiba Power Jack problems

6. 2014/04/15
    Bill

Bill SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

I own a Toshiba notebook and I agree with the power jack being weak (though I feel that is a universal problem with many brands). I like the idea of using hot glue because when it cools, it does not turn rock hard, but remains a bit flexible - and that is good if bumping the jack is common problem.

Bill,