1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Dual Boot Question

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by bmartin, 2014/03/26.

1. 2014/03/26
    bmartin

bmartin Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I know I could search and search and maybe find what I am looking for, but I hope someone can tell me the answer quicker. I would like to change my system configuration boot instructions to allow me to boot from drive C or D. The current information shown there is:

Windows 7 (C:) current OS; Default OS

What do I need to add to the instructions or change to do what I want to do.

Thanks for any help.

2. 2014/03/26
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Hi bmartin, I use EasyBCD as I have 3 HD's. One W8.1, one W7 and one Vista. At Startup I have the choice of which HD to use - my default is W8.1. I can access either of the other HD's through My Computer if needed. Neil.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2014/03/26
    bmartin

Thanks for the information about EasyBDC. Not sure if it will work for XP which is one of the OS on my slave drive. Win 7 is the OS on my Master drive. What I am looking for is the instructions that I can (type) add to the system boot information that will show both systems in the start up so I can select XP, which is on the slave drive or just default to win 7. I used this method to control my start up years ago, but that the key years ago and I just can't recall it

Bob

5. 2014/03/27
    SpywareDr

SpywareDr SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Neowin > EasyBCD 2.2

bmartin likes this.
  6. 2014/03/28
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

Easiest way to do it is to use the BIOS boot menu. Most BIOS have a boot menu accessed by a F key. Load the boot menu and select which device to boot. No need for a separate boot loader when dual booting.

bmartin likes this.
  7. 2014/03/28
    bmartin

TonyT thanks for BIOS boot information . I had look there before and all I found was three options, Floppy, CD, or Hard Drive, but not separate hard drives. I did go into BIOS and selected the drive that XP was on, but I got a start up error. Any other thoughts?

Thanks

8. 2014/03/28
    Steve R Jones

Steve R Jones SuperGeek Staff

What is the the exact error message?

Was XP installed on the same pc you're trying to use now and not another pc that needs different drivers?

9. 2014/03/28
    bmartin

Steve, I have always had XP Home on both hard drives, but I install Win 7 on the main hard drive. The second drive still has XP home in it. I don't remember the error message it was a full screen of blue with all kinds of information. I may try it again and get more information for you.

Bob

10. 2014/04/17
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

It's not in the bios configuration. When booting the comp you will see something like:
    F2 System Configuration or Bios
    F10 Boot menu or boot device selection