1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Every file/folder is read only

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by purplemtn, 2002/10/27.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2002/10/27
    purplemtn

purplemtn Inactive Thread Starter

On all 3 of my drives C,D,E, all files and or folders are Read only . If I try to uncheck the "Read Only Box" and hit apply as soon as I go back to Properties it's back to read only , also tried to make it a Archive file ,it changes back to read only..
    Tried unchecking Share this folder , and rebooting , tried going back a day and restore system , It does Not effect EXE programs.[That is they are not read only under a file /where a folder is read only in the same file.]
    Running Win XP Pro.
    It's on a network I can tranfer files from it to the other PC , but Not from the other PC to the XP pc.

Any Ideas or suggestions on how to change them from read only ..?

Thank You......purplemtn.....

2. 2002/10/27
    Barbara-Ann

Barbara-Ann Inactive

Shot in the dark---

Are you logged in as administrator?

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2002/10/27
    purplemtn

Barbara-Ann

As near I can tell I'm logged in as a administrator..

Thanks for the Idea..

5. 2002/10/27
    purplemtn

It appears to have something to do with the Network .Not sure what yet,
    I can copy a file from a CD into a folder[On The XP pc] and I can use the network to copy a file off the 98 pc and then open a folder using MY-PC and paste it into that folder , but I can not paste by opening a folder using the network such as ( XP D: help {folder})and paste into it that way.

6. 2002/10/28
    Newt

Newt Inactive

purplemtn - strange indeed. But maybe possible to "cure" without ever knowing the precise disease.

For XP-Pro, do the following from a normal windows session. For XP-Home, do from a safe-mode session. I know this is correct with NTFS and hope it is the same for FAT32 in case you are using that.

right-click on the drive then
    properties~security~advanced~owner and set yourself as the owner. Check the box to push the change down to subfolders.

Now try again to set the permissions as you want them.

Newt,
  7. 2002/10/28
    purplemtn

Newt

Apparently Fat 32 is different from NTFS . When I Right click on C: I get a A list that Has Sharing and Secuity >click on that it opens a window that allows me to Share the Drive/folder on the Network .
    No ~security~advanced~owner ..

I'm assuming that I should beable in "My Network Place" beable to copy a file off of PC1 and paste in in PC2 [the one I'm working on]....

The attributes =Read Me Has a Green Box in it , Not a check mark , when I view it ... It can be remove , replaced with a check mark , but always comes back with a green square box..

Thanks for the Ideas and Help

8. 2002/10/28
    purplemtn

FYI

Got it fixed ... to transfer files... [ All the files are Still Read Me]
    Went to Tools > Folder Opition .> View > Unchecked "Use Simple file sharing , Recomened " > Apply > then to MY Computer > right clickon C: > click on Sharing and Secuirty > ow there is a box called "Permission" > opened it and checked "Full Controll "

purplemtn

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.