1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

VIRUSBURST Problem!

Discussion in 'Malware and Virus Removal Archive' started by Panda, 2006/09/25.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2006/09/25
    Panda Lifetime Subscription

Panda Inactive Thread Starter

Don't even want to know how it got in, but need to remove this and am having major problems because of it. Here is the history:

Sometime yesterday the VIRUSBURST attached itself to my browser in the form of a tool bar and gives me a blinking icon in my task bar that links me to their website to download their adware and spam program. I decided to run NortonAV 2006 to try and get rid of it. I saw that my subscription was due to expire and decided to upgrade to 2007. I bought and downloaded it. As it was installing I got a message that said I need to stop running LiveUpdate so it could continue. I said OK. Then something weird happened. The Norton Center window closed. My icons on the taskbar for Norton disappeared. I tried searching my computer for Norton and can't find it! It's no where to be found. I no longer have protection!!! (running XP, btw). When I went to Symantec to see if VIRUSBURST was a virus or not, (which it is!) it said I should run Norton so I can find the path name and delete it in the registry. Well, if I can't find the program on the computer, how can I delete it??? I then put my computer in Restore Mode and have it set on the 22nd when the virus wasn't showing. Was hoping that Norton would be back, but even though it's listed in programs, I can't access it.

Need any more info?

PLEASE HELP ASAP!

Thanks!

:)

2. 2006/09/25
    TeMerc

TeMerc Inactive Alumni

Hi Panda and welcome.

What you have here is one of the many variants of SmithFraud\Zlob infections.

Uninstall your Norton via the Add\Remove control panel, you can reinstall it after we remove the infection.

We have a two step fix for this infection, but we first need you to give us a HijackThis! log file to be sure, then we can proceed with the fix.

HiJackThis v:1.99.1zip.
    DL the zip file to your desktop, then create a new folder on your C drive, called 'HJT' or 'HijackThis'. Then unzip the files to the new folder. When you run HijackThis.exe from C:\HJT folder and have it "Fixed checked" it will create a backup file of modifications to use if restore is necessary which is easily accessible.

Run the program, and press Scan. You will notice the Scan button will turn into a "Save Log" button. Save the log and Post that log onto this topic. DO NOT DELETE or modify anything yet, as some of it is needed to keep your system in proper working order.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2006/09/25

A notepad popped up with this stuff so I just c/p it here. I've used this before last year when I had another virus problem. You also need to remember that I have the PC restored to Friday's date and that I can't access Norton at all. I do see it in INSTALL/UNINSTALL, but to let you know, I downloaded the program from Symantec, charged it to my card and don't have a backup copy. And my download of the 2007 version is not there either. Sorry.

Thanks for jumping in to help!!!

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
    Scan saved at 12:42:05 PM, on 9/25/2006
    Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
    MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\Ati2evxx.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SNDSrvc.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
    C:\Program Files\APC\APC PowerChute Personal Edition\mainserv.exe
    C:\Program Files\Symantec\LiveUpdate\ALUSchedulerSvc.exe
    C:\Program Files\COMPAQ\Compaq Advisor\bin\compaq-rba.exe
    C:\Program Files\Compaq\Compaq Management Agents\cpqalert.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\Compaq\COMPAQ~2\CPQWEB~1\WebDmi.exe
    C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\NMSSvc.exe
    C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\IWP\NPFMntor.exe
    C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\SoundMAX\SMAgent.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
    C:\Program Files\Compaq\Compaq Management Agents\Dmi\Win32\bin\Win32sl.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\fxssvc.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\Compaq\COMPAQ~2\cpqdmi.exe
    C:\Program Files\Microsoft Hardware\Mouse\point32.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\Compaq\COMPAQ~2\CHKADMIN.EXE
    C:\Program Files\Fellowes\MediaFACE 4.0\SetHook.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\LEXMAR~1\ACMonitor_X83.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\LEXMAR~1\AcBtnMgr_X83.exe
    C:\Program Files\Viewpoint\Viewpoint Manager\ViewMgr.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\1154007913\ee\AOLSoftware.exe
    C:\Program Files\Schmaili80\schmaili.exe
    C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbarNotifier\1.0.720.3640\GoogleToolbarNotifier.exe
    C:\Program Files\APC\APC PowerChute Personal Edition\apcsystray.exe
    C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
    C:\HIGHJACK\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.excite.com/
    O2 - BHO: Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
    O2 - BHO: NAV Helper - {A8F38D8D-E480-4D52-B7A2-731BB6995FDD} - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
    O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Helper - {AA58ED58-01DD-4d91-8333-CF10577473F7} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar2.dll
    O3 - Toolbar: Norton AntiVirus - {C4069E3A-68F1-403E-B40E-20066696354B} - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
    O3 - Toolbar: &Google - {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar2.dll
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ATIModeChange] Ati2mdxx.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [WCOLOREAL] "C:\Program Files\COMPAQ\Coloreal\coloreal.exe "
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [srmclean] C:\Cpqs\Scom\srmclean.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PrinTray] C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\DRIVERS\W32X86\3\printray.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [POINTER] point32.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ChkAdmin] C:\PROGRA~1\Compaq\COMPAQ~2\CHKADMIN.EXE
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MediaFace Integration] C:\Program Files\Fellowes\MediaFACE 4.0\SetHook.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Lexmark X83 Button Monitor] C:\PROGRA~1\LEXMAR~1\ACMonitor_X83.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Lexmark X83 Button Manager] C:\PROGRA~1\LEXMAR~1\AcBtnMgr_X83.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ViewMgr] C:\Program Files\Viewpoint\Viewpoint Manager\ViewMgr.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe "
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HostManager] C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\1154007913\ee\AOLSoftware.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IPHSend] C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\IPHSend\IPHSend.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\RunOnce: [Compaq_RBA] C:\Program Files\COMPAQ\Compaq Advisor\bin\compaq-rba.exe -z
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Schmaili] C:\Program Files\Schmaili80\schmaili.exe
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [swg] C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbarNotifier\1.0.720.3640\GoogleToolbarNotifier.exe
    O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Reader Speed Launch.lnk = C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\reader_sl.exe
    O4 - Global Startup: APC UPS Status.lnk = ?
    O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {CD67F990-D8E9-11d2-98FE-00C0F0318AFE} - (no file)
    O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    O14 - IERESET.INF: START_PAGE_URL=http://store.presario.net/scripts/redirectors/presario/storeredir2.dll?s=consumerfav&c=2c02&lc=0409
    O15 - Trusted Zone: http://www.us.bugcafe.net
    O15 - Trusted Zone: http://www.candystand.com
    O15 - Trusted Zone: http://www.ebay.com
    O15 - Trusted Zone: http://www.excite.com
    O15 - Trusted Zone: http://www.farmerjack.com
    O15 - Trusted Zone: http://www.gamesville.lycos.com
    O15 - Trusted Zone: http://www.msn.com
    O16 - DPF: symsupportutil - https://www-secure.symantec.com/techsupp/activedata/symsupportutil.CAB
    O16 - DPF: {17492023-C23A-453E-A040-C7C580BBF700} (Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool) - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=39204
    O16 - DPF: {3451DEDE-631F-421C-8127-FD793AFC6CC8} (ActiveDataInfo Class) - https://www-secure.symantec.com/techsupp/asa/ctrl/SymAData.cab
    O16 - DPF: {44990200-3C9D-426D-81DF-AAB636FA4345} (Symantec SmartIssue) - https://www-secure.symantec.com/techsupp/asa/ctrl/tgctlsi.cab
    O16 - DPF: {44990301-3C9D-426D-81DF-AAB636FA4345} (Symantec Script Runner Class) - https://www-secure.symantec.com/techsupp/asa/ctrl/tgctlsr.cab
    O16 - DPF: {77E32299-629F-43C6-AB77-6A1E6D7663F6} (Groove Control) - http://www.nick.com/common/groove/gx/GrooveAX27.cab
    O20 - Winlogon Notify: WgaLogon - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\WgaLogon.dll
    O23 - Service: APC UPS Service - American Power Conversion Corporation - C:\Program Files\APC\APC PowerChute Personal Edition\mainserv.exe
    O23 - Service: Ati HotKey Poller - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\System32\Ati2evxx.exe
    O23 - Service: Automatic LiveUpdate Scheduler - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Symantec\LiveUpdate\ALUSchedulerSvc.exe
    O23 - Service: Symantec Event Manager (ccEvtMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
    O23 - Service: Symantec Settings Manager (ccSetMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
    O23 - Service: Compaq Advisor (Compaq_RBA) - NeoPlanet - C:\Program Files\COMPAQ\Compaq Advisor\bin\compaq-rba.exe
    O23 - Service: Compaq Local Alerter (CPQALERT) - Compaq Computer Corporation - C:\Program Files\Compaq\Compaq Management Agents\cpqalert.exe
    O23 - Service: cpqdmi - Compaq Computer Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\Compaq\COMPAQ~2\cpqdmi.exe
    O23 - Service: Compaq DMI Web Agent (cpqWebDmi) - Compaq Computer Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\Compaq\COMPAQ~2\CPQWEB~1\WebDmi.exe
    O23 - Service: LiveUpdate - Symantec Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\Symantec\LIVEUP~1\LUCOMS~1.EXE
    O23 - Service: Content Monitoring Tool (msCMTSrvc) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\msCMTSrvc.exe (file missing)
    O23 - Service: Norton AntiVirus Auto-Protect Service (navapsvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
    O23 - Service: Intel(R) NMS (NMSSvc) - Intel Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\System32\NMSSvc.exe
    O23 - Service: Norton AntiVirus Firewall Monitor Service (NPFMntor) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\IWP\NPFMntor.exe
    O23 - Service: Norton Protection Center Service (NSCService) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Security Console\NSCSRVCE.EXE
    O23 - Service: Symantec AVScan (SAVScan) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\SAVScan.exe
    O23 - Service: Symantec Network Drivers Service (SNDSrvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SNDSrvc.exe
    O23 - Service: SoundMAX Agent Service (SoundMAX Agent Service (default)) - Analog Devices, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\SoundMAX\SMAgent.exe
    O23 - Service: SPBBCSvc - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SPBBC\SPBBCSvc.exe
    O23 - Service: Symantec Core LC - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe
    O23 - Service: SymWMI Service (SymWSC) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Security Center\SymWSC.exe
    O23 - Service: Win32Sl (WIN32SL) - Intel - C:\Program Files\Compaq\Compaq Management Agents\Dmi\Win32\bin\Win32sl.exe

5. 2006/09/25
    TeMerc

TeMerc Inactive Alumni

Ah, well it would appear by using system restore the infection is no longer present. So in that respect you are ok.

With regards to the symantec software problem, I would send an email to the support team with a link to this thread perhaps and explain to them what happened. I'm sure they will be more than happy to send you a fresh DL link.

Be sure and follow thier instructions for uninstall of any old versions, the product is notoriously famous for their less than clean uninstalls.

6. 2006/09/25

I'm sort of confused now. By restoring it to another date, I do see that the virus is gone and my Google bar is back, but don't I have to put this back to today's date? Can I leave it just where it is? I've never used restore before and am not really sure how it really works other than I don't have that darn virus any more. Should I return to today's date and then run HJI again?

I'll contact Norton again with this link and see what they say.

Thanks again for your help. Will get back to you and let you all know how I made out.

7. 2006/09/25
    TeMerc

TeMerc Inactive Alumni

Ypou can leave your system in its current state with no worries.

You can read about system restore on this page from MS

Good luck with Norton\Symantec.

8. 2006/09/25

Thanks for the link! I now have a better understanding on how it works.

9. 2006/09/25
    TeMerc

TeMerc Inactive Alumni

Glad we could be of assistance.

Due to resolution this topic is closed.

If you need this topic reopened, please request this by sending the moderating team a PM with the address of the thread. This applies only to the original topic starter.

10. 2006/09/26

Just a follow up to let you all know that Symantec came through and I am now fully protected with the newest version of Norton! I did have another problem with installing, but figured it out on my own. :D It told me again that LiveUpdate was running and to finish setup later. I decided the second time installing to tell it NO, I don't want to scan now....I'll do it later. After doing this, it installed completely and then did its scan. I'm just so happy to have this resolved so fast. I get creeped out when I don't have virus protection on here.

Again, thanks for the help and see you all soon!

11. 2006/09/26
    TeMerc

TeMerc Inactive Alumni

Glad to hear you got that figured out.

And lets hope you only come here to visit any other forum, but this one. I'd like nothing better than to have no users requiring help. :p

And now I can close this thread. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.